Necessity is the mother of invention.

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by Mr_Krabs, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Here I am totally stoned again and posting so here's another yarn to sit back and enjoy.

I did a little shopping on the grasscity site. I like to support an organization I enjoy. But recently I purchased a triple honeycomb glass bubbler from the site. Shipping was a little slow, Amazon really does spoil us with shipping as fast as they do. So I'm tolerant of the little guy shipping slower.

http://www.grasscity.com/us_en/black-leaf-glass-bong-with-triple-honeycomb-disc-perc-25-5cm.html#.VIjs8nuypRc

Great piece though definitely smaller than you'd think looking at the picture it's only 12 inches tall. Bowl is nicely designed with a built in screen but it is ground a hair wobbly but it still doesn't leak.

The cons, you have to inhale slowly or you'll inhale water. And THE biggest flaw with this bubbler, your face is 6 inches above the bowl. Pair that with the fact that you have to inhale SLOWLY or risk inhaling water. Put those two flaws together, and it reminds me of the time I spent in my uncle's birthday party.

Of note I am of Filipino descent and my uncle decidedly old school, talking growing up on a farm in the middle of nowhere in Philippines. Well he left that and became a very successful nurse after a time working while studying as a professional baker, funny enough his wife, my aunt, is also a nurse. Their daughter, my cousin, in school for nursing lol.

Well it was his 50th birthday. So his party was coming up and I definitely wanted to attend, not just for the momentous milestone in his life. But like I said old school Filipino means heading up to the local suburban L.A.ranch for a freshly butchered 70 pound pig. And not just picking up a dressed up ready to go pig, talking he cut the neck and I caught the blood in a pan, saved for a Filipino blood stew. Not my particular favorite anymore but I'll still eat it out of courtesy and to me it's just ok now. But I wanted to save room for the main event.

[​IMG]

If you know any Filipino families definitely try to get yourselves invited if they're having one of those. My advice rush to the front to get the best skin. Delicious especially after I manually rotated the spit for three hours with some breaks provided by the younger cousin. He wasn't as grossed out as the older cousin who could only stand the sight of the fully cooked pig, if blood and guts scare her I hope she toughens up before the hands on stuff and ER room training.

But anyways after using this for one bowl, that's what my face felt like, well at least my nose and eyeballs. Sorry whoever designed this dropped the ball.

So to make lemonade out of lemons I decided to find a way to inexpensively get that flame away from my face. And me being an engineer with experience in heat transfer, fluid flow, and combustion physics and all around tinkerer decided, I was also going to improve on the vaporization effect of cornering bowls in a bong.

Cornering while using a bong is a good idea even if you're smoking by yourself. Packing down tightly and cornering slows the combustion and allows the cannabinoids to vaporize and be carried off before the leaf matter combusts from the advancing cherry. which gets you higher on less weed.

So my ultimate design ended up being putting a marijuana joint on the end of a specially designed cylinder with strategically sized and placed vent holes to create a consistent negative pressure to allow the ideal flow rate in a consistently rolled joint. That said it took quite some tinkering to get the design balanced and the learning curve of packing consistent 1 gram joints using ground weed. 1 gram of ground bud in a regular cylindrical cigarette size is surprisingly a quite tight pack. it needs the extra resistance to allow the slowest advance of the cherry possible so that warmed air flowing inward against fresh greens will vaporize the cannabinoids leaving only leaf matter to be ignited by the advancing cherry.
    I know I'm getting even vaporization and not combusting nearly as much cannabinoids because the flavor is definitely much more prominent. That and 1 gram in that cigarette in that pipe will get me sufficiently stoned. I know using a bong I'd plow through like 1.5-2 grams to get as stoned.

I've analyzed what really causes harsh bong hits, or at least a major contributor. I've always noted everyone wants a green hit cause it's fresh and smooth. But if someone toasts the bowl but caps it, it hits so harsh for the next person. Smooth hits I've noticed the smoke is pure white. Like vaporizer vapor. Get a toasted bowl or milk too fast and the end of the milking the smoke turned a nasty yellow then brown. That's when I noticed it gets especially harsh.

So all these combusting cannabinoids seem to make hits especially harsh and hence everyone wants to be first to light the fresh pack.

Well me being an atheist and former Catholic, my mom even sent me to Catholic middle school and I ended up graduating salutatorian because I'm left handed and my handwriting grade brought my average down even though my academics were still technically better than the valedictorian. But those are other issues to work out but never with a psychiatrist. Like I said I am an engineer. Held a few unique jobs nuclear electronics technician in the navy, avionics technician, aerospace engineer, and now a quality engineer at a small place that's definitely don't ask don't tell about weed. Way better than as you can imagine the strictness of all those previous jobs and heck pays better.

What does a former Catholic have to do with naming a bong you would ask? Well I'd call this my Jesus bong. Why? Because with just one gram-sized joint of top shelf I am able to stone 5000 people! Well not really but maybe 5 people can get pretty stoned off that one joint. And it's convenient because it's very lightweight and easy to hold making passing it very safe, and once lit it'll still go out on it's own but if passed around every minute or so can continue to burn making for no relighting needed. So no one toasts the whole bowl by mistake. And packing tightly burns completely evenly so long as you inhale slowly, perfect cause this bubbler you can't inhale fast or you inhale water. And it hits so smooth even my girlfriend is surprised she can't even puff a joint straight, well in all honesty neither can I lol. Heck I can't even tolerate inhaling tobacco cigarette smoke without going into a coughing fit. And this thing let's me fill my entire lung capacity and not burn, not even my vape pen can't do that. And yes the pipe get's me higher than my vape pen before the vape pen gets harsh. Another benefit of vaporizing the weed through a joint is the THC will redposit on the weed behind it, so it gets stronger the closer you are to the end. And back to Jesus now THE LAST TO SMOKE SHALL NOW BE THE FIRST (to get totally fucked up!)

Of course near the end the vapors might become a bit harsh but that's where the top larger hole comes into play, it injects more air to help dilute the mix. This Jesus bong's got speed holes. Maybe I should call it the Jeebus bong.

So how does it all work? Quite nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxYmB-PoC1o

The tornado effect allows better initial cooling helpful because it's nearly as smooth without water. And water has a deleterious effect on the absorbed THC. Now I know most of you will say pish posh and throw your hands up but let me tell you after a fun party session with friends and a dozen joints passed through, I collected what was inside dried it on a piece of glass and just like it looks like yellow crumble, it tasted and hit you like a train after loading it on top of the weed in the last joint of the night. So even the resin acts like extract leading me to further believe this is vaporizing the THC before combusting the leaf matter.

[​IMG]

That's not your ordinary bong resin. Look at the bright yellow color and clean ash and soot free nature and it hasn't darkened from over combusting. Hence why even collecting and drying this stuff it hit almost as good as some extracts I've had. Nice.

But I also designed that tornado effect to prevent excessive cannabinoid deposits on the cylinder to prevent waste, nonetheless some builds up and unlike the runny burned oil in my glass bowl that I know is just trash, this stuff is truly a sticky resin and hell better quality and clear unlike some of the lower end BHO waxes I've bought.

[​IMG]

So how do you build this beauty?

[​IMG]

Simple. Start by building your cigarette adapter. I used the blue plastic material under a coke bottle cap. It's a decently durable and flexible material that seals well against a sturdy roach, punch an appropriately sized hold and glue to the bottle's cap. I used clear silicone to bond it to the removable cap of a little bottle I got free at Petsmart for aquarium water testing. The lid is easy to drill a large hole into and snaps on and seals tight, but normally it just stays on and you just pull out the old joint put in a new one and keep on partying. Hence why I think this is a great design for social smoking and passing around cause even newbs can participate and get duly stoned without hacking up a lung.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So near the roach end I just drilled two small 1.5mm holes opposite each other and both angled to blow perpendicular to the cigarette and cause a clockwise spiral pattern. The speed hole near the back is just a 4mm hole with a straight shot down into the bowl which now acts as a 14mm GonG adapter. The cylinder is drilled to fit snug and sealed with some hot glue for easy removeability. And what's really fun is you can also just use the adapter piece as a very smooth smoking chillum.

The tape is to cover the speed hole and increase the strength for the beginning, as the resins build up in the joint just lift the tape and the speed hole helps dilute the smoke for less harshness.

Enjoy building this if you want a fun side project!

Also stay tuned, in a few months I'm also going to write up my current grow. If successful I think I just may help everyone with a better implementation for a perpetual harvest system. Wish me luck guys!

2. Idk i woulda just got a dropdown lol. But is is fun to create things while smoking.

3. Subbed

sent from my skateboard

4. #4 Head Chef, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2015
    Lol, all this and that massive post to smoke a joint....dunno about you but when I roll I joint I smoke it as a joint.

If I can't be arsed to roll then hold and smoke a joint I will take flower rips in my bong or hit the oil rig.

Cool that it works but so pointless beyond belief in my opinion.

Tip for the future too, don't buy Blackleaf products.

Blackleaf is a cheapo make that has jump on the bandwagon and tried to create 1 of every product out there, they make very poor products imo.

Jack off all trades master off none.

Chef.