Near Death Experiences

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by BluntAssassin, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Found this link further explaining what near death experiences are:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/surge-of-brain-activity-when-the-heart-stops-may-be-responsible-for-paranormal-visions/article13742822/

2. #2 SwichOne, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
    Just because they can determine that there is increased brain activity at the time of or near death is not proof that said activity has nothing to do with anything spiritual....

Thats as ignorant as claiming that increased brain activity at the time of or near death IS proof of something spiritual...

3. Who cares?  What about living a life that's meaningful in the here and now?  Worrying about what happens at death is like worrying about something that hasn't happened.  We can only control what is happening at the moment, that's all that matters, the here and now.  I think a lot of people cheat themselves out of a full life thinking about what isn't real.

4. that was a good article.

Nowhere did they make a solid claim.. In the title of the article, it says "may just be illusions". And then the "they were probably just hallucinations". 'May just be' and 'probably' aren't actually claims.. Now if they said "near-death experiences are in fact just hallucinations", that'd be a claim. Plus, only person bringing anything spiritual into this is you.. Near-death experiences don't have to be a spiritual thing. If the brain is giving out one last jolt, there could be a few reasons for it. It could the brain trying to jump start everything in hopes of not dying, self preservation. If you're a brain and you throw out every last bit of energy to try and get things moving again, there's a good chance that you'll trigger all kind of brain activity, possibly including memories. That's probably why NDEs are different for different cultures, cause it's just going off of memories.

Here's another article on it: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130812153553.htm

6. I know they did not make a solid claim, but the article itself was written in a manner that would imply that is what they were suggesting for the most part. 

No, the article itself actually brought up the whole spiritual thing. Here is a clipping from that article.....maybe you didnt read it all? Kind of hard to miss.....
    "Scientists working on the study say that experiment proves that the brain is highly active in the seconds right after the heart stops, which naturally means that reports of people claiming to have seen heaven or deceased loved ones are of physical, not spiritual, origin."
    \n
    I never said near death experiences HAVE to be a spiritual thing. I simply stated that just because one can assume there is increased brain activity at the time of or near death is not reason enough to assume said activity has nothing to do with anything spiritual in nature. 
    \n
    I dont argue that possibility.......but that still does not mean it has nothing to do with anything spiritual . 

7. #7 A.R.C., Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
    instead of just getting mad, why don't you give a reason as to why seeing hallucinations at the peak of death could be something spiritual?

I read the Science Daily article (twice) before I saw this thread and read the other article. Must of willfully blinded myself to the spiritual part, my bad. The article in the OP is more of a media site, so they're going to put their own slight twist on it, but the original research wasn't focused on any of that crap. It's goal is to try and figure out what physically happens after death, while helping us to better understand consciousness. Anyone who is nonspiritual is going to take it as just another reaction based in reality, a spiritual person can also take their belief and mold it around the data.

Lesson of the day, don't take science from a news media website too seriously. Best to find information closer to the source.

9. First define 'hallucinations'. Because if hallucinations are perceived via chemicals, and if sobriety is perceived via chemicals, then your perception of the same matter changes but matter itself doesn't.

It's unfortunate that they only measured electrical activity and not blood concentrations - I would have loved to know what chemicals the brain was secreting at the time, and possibly if DMT was one of them.

However there are two theories to this type of event, both of which can be true. One is that the chemicals are released to make dying easier on the being, and the other is that if the same chemicals are produced when we dream as when we die and when the gender is determined in the womb of a fetus, then it could be the gateway molecule to the collective consciousness of the universe.

I second this