NE North American Bat Guano?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Branno, Jul 31, 2012.

1. This week I'll have access to an actual "shit load" of bat guano from little/big brown bat species. Anyone know how the quality will compare to the bat shit from more exotic locations?

2. I suggest to you that whatever goes in is what comes out. Bats are gonna eat what is available to them. Bugs are bugs so if the Peruvian bugZ carry more protein in them than mid-west Arkansas bugs then you might have a bit more N for example. But really at the end of the discussion look at what they are eating in your area and you'll have your answer.

Also, never use collected bird/bat droppings directly. Throw them in the compost pile and please wash your hands after handling this stuff before rubbing your eyes. And if you're out collecting it you should dress safely and appropriately.

Might be cheaper by the bag in the long run. But by all means collect some and compost it. Rocket fuel!

3. Many bird/bat guanos carry pathogens that can kill you. I use pigeon. I was warned by everyone i know about these bird poo diseases, but I know these birds. They are pets that get pampered. I would definitely compost it.

4. Yes they do and many documented case of it occuring. Histoplasmosis is one malady that can befall a person.

But back on point. Think "garbage in garbage out". It's what they eat that's important. Eh? Aye!

And variances in bacteria populations and species.... awwwwwwww man let's not go there LOL! :smoking:

5. Be careful with Bat guano, harvesting it stresses them into infertility and you'll kill off the whole colony.

6. I work in an industry that deals with wildlife and all its nastiness on a regular basis so I'm fully aware of the risks involved. As possum mentioned, histoplasmosis is lung disease associated with droppings of many species. Once the droppings are disturbed the spores are all airborne which increases the risk. I'll be doing an attic restoration and there is piles of guano inside. The bat eviction process is done so just a cleanup is needed. All the work being conducted will be done while wearing full Tyvek suits and respirators.

My plan was to bag it and crush the contents to make it more fine then use it after. Maybe mix it into some soil and let it sit over the winter? I haven't decided if it will be worth the effort, which is why I thought I'd check in with you guys first!

7. I say go for it... mix it in with all your food scraps. seal away in buckets or garbage cans, one year later it wil be ready and loaded with the redworms.

8. After spending a day in that attic I honestly couldnt have been bothered to waste time with extra curricular activities... Only got half way done the cleanup so I'll be back tomorrow. Nice to know some of you may have jumped at the opportunity though!

9. Being in construction, I've been up in steeples and rooftop areas where the pigeons have lived for years and years, layering up several feet of doo doo.
    It's a scary prospect harvesting it what with all the dust and nasties flying about in the air, but if you were able to get it, and then compost it, I'm sure the good bacteria would overcome the bad over time, leaving a quality end product. If we weren't able to just go out and buy the amendments we do buy for our gardens I bet we'd be a bit more inventive and aggressive in our collecting of these things then!

Safety first, of course. Some of this shit can be quite nasty.

J

10. Shoveling shit ... in a attic ... in August ... in a full Tyvek suit???????

I'm cracking a 12 just thinking about it.;):D

That will be special shit no matter the NPK and for sure would save it and figure out how to work it into the program.

One way or another, there will be a use for all that effort and sweat.

Wet