Natural or sick?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Luke Roberts, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Hey guys, as some of you are probably aware I've been getting these little problems for a while now, at present I'm at day 32 of flower out of a 65day flowering time, a while ago I noticed slight yellowing, rusty brown spots which now have gone up the plant and the leaves are just crumbling in my hands, as you can see from the pictures I've posted there is a significant amount of yellowing on the single tangerine dream plant I have in there, but also the two Liberty haze the leaves have been getting bit yellowish, which turns into black spots on leafs and eventually crumbles in your hands, I've been told to flush with plain water until it slows down a little, which I have been doing, I'm trying not to overwater but I'm so used to watering a little bit every day it's hard for me to know when to water how long to leave it dry out etc., please look at the pictures and tell me what you think, I'm really unhappy about this but lots of people regardless have said its natural and the leafs that yellow/claw/crumble is just because of low light, and the plant cannibalising itself to support flower production,mt he buds aren't massive yet but they are very sticky and dense for how old they are, help me guys just give me some knowledge, many thanks.

P.s apart from the yellowing and dying of the leafs (main fan leaves/larger leafs) the bud mass seems to be growing and swelling ok, there is hardly any leaf damage around the buds and the bud leafs, so it's really hard to tell, these are haze genetics so I knew it was going to be challenging, thanks,

Attached Files:

2. Ph fluctuations effecting maganese or an iron deficiency affecting manganese.. the leaves shouldnt be dong that, overwatering can affectb the ph..to much pk heavy nutrients can also fuck shit up... water twice a week imo..

3. Well I've watered tonight so I'm thinking about leaving until day after tomorrow evening now, there is bud on them now and a fair amount of resin too plus they are swelling day by day, so it's not too stressful, but even if all the leaves did die off as long as the bud and bud leaves are OK the plant will survive?

4. Stop watering so often, you're hurting it.. everything thats happening is because you're overwatering and over feeding. You keep making different threads but you dont take the advice. Water twice a week, if they're not wilting at all they dont need water. Try lifting the pot when its wet, dont water again till its light as hell.

• Like Like x 3
  5. You're hogging bandwidth at this point

6. All the good stuff happens at the end. You're barely in the middle. Patience.

7. I have stopped watering so often and I haven't used nutes for nearly a week now, I'm just gonna leave them alone for two days without anything see if that makes it better, and yeah I keep making new threads it's a message board and if I keep needing advice then I have to post new threads., I am taking the advice I'm given but it varies from person to person, could my oscillating fans in the room be too powerful to the point of killing leaves? Just a thought., many thanks

8. What's 'bandwidth' mean? :/

9. Yeah I'm just about in the middle of the flowering cycle now and they are of fair size now with nice amount of resin too so hopefully in the last 5 weeks they'll really swell up nd fatten up. I hope.

10. Na fan won't do anything, looks like some heat stress too. Many newer growers make the mistake of loving their plants to death.. try walking away from it for a few days. Dont pay it any attention and feed once a week. Stop flushing, keep the ph closer to 6 for a few weeks.. if it doesn't get worse its probably getting better.. the damaged leaves cant fix themselves .

• Like Like x 1
  11. The only heat stress I can see possible is being too close to the bulb but I can't do a thing about height tbh, the room has two inline fans on constantly as it is., that's what I'll do just leave it alone for 2-3 days now., everything on timers Anyways, lights etc., and yes definitely stop the flushing now., I've heard of some growers remove all leaves except the small bud leaves on their plants anyways, so in the worst case scenario my leaves did all die, as long as bud leaves are ok, the plant would continue its cycle(flowering) ? What do you think about that?

12. possibly, would definitely be of less quality though. Depends on how fast you lose them and how far along into flower you are.. if you lose all the leaves tomorrow, you're probably fucked.

13. Ok, well I'm nearly half way through flowering now,and as you can see From my pics there is still plenty of green growth on the plants so I'm just going to leave alone for a couple /few days before looking at them again.,

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hey man, so I hate to give contradictory information here but it seems to me, based on your pictures, that your plant is suffering from heat stress, as well as light burn up near the top of your canopy. Its almost a classic presentation of it. If you cant do anything about the height then I suggest putting the fans towards the top of your canopy to dissipate the heat a little better. As far as the light burn goes, if you're able to increase the C02 levels in the room then you will benefit from the access light. If not, then try to rotate your plant so that not one part of your plant is getting all the light. Let the other parts "share that burden" of excess light.
    Now, the yellowing of the leaves towards the bottom of the plant looks to be a nitrogen deficiency, which for this stage of the plants life is just a tad early, but ultimately OK. During the flowering stage the plant should not be getting much N in the form of nutrients. You want a larger portion of P than anything. Being that you are only half way through flowering I would not recommend cutting off the nutrients just yet. Its typical for growers to stop supplementing their plants 2 weeks prior to harvest. This of course can vary, its just a range to give a bit of context for you.
    As for watering your plant: Never, ever water your plant on a schedule that someone else has told you to use. There are far too many variables to account for to determine the "how often do I water" question. Your plant is the only thing able to tell you how often it should be watered. Waiting to water until you see the plant wilting is causing a lot of undue stress. While this wont, in most cases, outright kill your plant it will affect growth(during veg) and yield (during flower). Check the soil every day. If its dry then water, if its damp then dont. If you arent sure about it, then wait. If you're going to make a mistake with watering its better to under water than over water.

• Like Like x 1
  15. You probably have what's called lock out. It's from you not checking the ph value of your water. If you are not checking the ph of your water your plant cannot take up certain nutrients.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  16. Get a cheap ph pen or dropper kit and ph your water to about 6.5 then flush your plants with three time the amount of water to soil. After a week or two you should see things going back to normal.
    Unless you've been checking ph, then I'm just a babbling fool.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks man, and yeah I was thinking towards light burn,heat stress so I'll get a clip on fan and aim it just above the canopy, another thing I've noticed is that the temperature is dropping 5c during the dark cycle which is during the night hours, could these low tempratures be stressing the plants leaves ? As far as the altering goes I have been giving water only for a few days now when the pot feels dry-ish, sometimes hen it's still a little damp near the top of the soil., thanks for your feedback mate I'm going to make some changes in the grow room today/tonight but sooner the better I'm guessing, the only other issue I can think of is the light burn as the colas are way too close to the bulb and I can't think of a solution.. I'm stumped. But greatful for your advice bro thanks man.

18. Thanks man, and yeah I was thinking towards light burn,heat stress so I'll get a clip on fan and aim it just above the canopy, another thing I've noticed is that the temperature is dropping 5c during the dark cycle which is during the night hours, could these low tempratures be stressing the plants leaves ? As far as the altering goes I have been giving water only for a few days now when the pot feels dry-ish, sometimes hen it's still a little damp near the top of the soil., thanks for your feedback mate I'm going to make some changes in the grow room today/tonight but sooner the better I'm guessing, the only other issue I can think of is the light burn as the colas are way too close to the bulb and I can't think of a solution.. I'm stumped. But greatful for your advice bro thanks man.

19. I'm not sure what your initial temperature is so I cant say whether or not if its cool enough to cause stress. Although I can make the assumption that since your plants seem to be suffering from heat stress, a 5 degree drop isn't going to hurt them.
    As for the watering, if your soil feels a little moist your plant will benefit more from letting the soil dry out for another day vs always keeping the soil a little moist. I've seen a lot of growers water their plants just a little bit every day. This is fine if the soil is dry by the next water, however if the soil is never allowed to dry out you will start to form little pockets of moisture within the soil. These pockets become breeding grounds for all types of bad things. So make sure that grow medium is fairly dry before you add more water to it. I can go into more detail about watering if you would like, but for now its a bit outside the scope of your initial question.
    So your colas... There are a few things you can do right now to help it out, and there are a few things you can do in future grows to keep that from happening. Whether or not you try these suggestions is entirely up to you. I'm not saying you have to do these things, I'm simply saying these things *may* help your current situation.
    For your current grow: Looking at your pictures the first thing I notice contributing to the height of your plant is the pot its in. If you feel comfortable doing a transplant then I would suggest transplanting your plant into a short, but wide pot. It will not only knock a few inches off the height, it will also let your roots be a little happier. Roots on cannabis tend to grow laterally as opposed to vertically. Smart Pots are always a number one suggestion of mine. Again, I can go into more detail about pots if you would like but for now I'll leave it where its at. Second thing to do: Rotate your plant. Literally spin the pot around. That cola is directly under your light. Move the plant so the cola is off to the side of your light, then once a day rotate the pot 180 degrees to give equal lighting to both sides of the plant. Significant heat stress to a cola will destroy its potency. High levels of heat will fry the trichomes, and change the chemistry of the terpenes drastically reducing potency, flavor, and smell. You really want to keep the cola away from the hot zone of that bulb. Doing the two things I mentioned above will have the most immediate effect for reducing heat stress. Re potting a plant during this stage of its life cycle is risky, however, *in my opinion* its more risky to just let it finish out its flowering cycle as is than it is to re pot it into a shorter pot.
    For your next grow: I wont elaborate on these here since this reply is much longer than I had anticipated.
    Short, but wide pot, and topping the plant. These two things will decrease your overall height without negatively impacting your yield.

20. I just thought that the temp drop in the night when the lights are off would hurt them, that's all., and as for the watering they were still damp-ish today so no water, I've moved all of them from directly under the bulb and it's hot spots, I've also turned the ballast down to its original 600w I started using the 660w sun blaster option on my ballast about a week ago now, and it seems like it's speeding up the yellowing and brown crumbly leaves, on one of them the brown rusty spots on the leafs has gone up to the top cola, the leaves affected just crumble in your hands,, the other two apart from the yellowing seem not bad plus they have more bud mass than the one that's most affected,I went out and bought a stand up oscillating fan but it's not tall enough to reach the canopy and it's quite powerful so much that it blows them around.. I'm starting to freak out because they've only had five weeks of flower this Monday and there's another 3.5/4.5weeks to go and these signs are happening quickly everyday now., I honestly don't want to do a transplant this far into flower as it will rea
    Let damage yield overall., thanks for the info mate, much appreciated