Natural insecticides and fungicides

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Corto Malteze, Feb 9, 2009.

1. I use neem foliar spray as preventative 1nce per week and also spray top soil weekly. From what I read you can also add neem to your nutes to kill fungus nats, however, it also kills beneficial microbes, so you may need to add this back later.
    I also let top inch of soil dry out before watering as this helps deter nats.

Anyone ever try beneficial nematodes (http://www.sodohydro.com/2012/03/beneficial-nematodes/)? reading about these sounds very interesting, but luckily I haven't had the need to use them yet.

2. I am curious about the statement that neem kills microbes. There are many soil recipes that have neem cake added in living soils that rely on microbe activity. Do you have a reference that supports the statement?

3. Neem is listed as a neemocide, that means it kills nematodes, and it helps with fungus gnats and proably others. So I would not add nematodes and neem oil. But as far as I know neem is a general benefit for our soils. I use it as a soil meal and oil in sprays and seem to have plenty of soil life.....MIW

4. Thanks for the link chunk. The article kind of reminds me of pharmaceutical companies studying MJ. They always think there is one magic part of the whole that makes things work. I think a holistic approach makes more sense. Especially in light of centuries of use of these products in native countries.

When I get more time I'll explore the links in the article.......MIW

5. What are y'alls thoughts on mosquito dunks? I saw bacillus thuringiensis mentioned a couple of times on this thread, but how exactly are the dunks applied? The label is less than helpful for the container gardener.

6. [quote name='"FunTimeGrowHap"']What are y'alls thoughts on mosquito dunks? I saw bacillus thuringiensis mentioned a couple of times on this thread, but how exactly are the dunks applied? The label is less than helpful for the container gardener.[/quote]

Jerry uses them for gnats with great results I've heard.

7. #110 The Bunker, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012
    Top dress with a small amount of neem meal. Pest control and nutrition in one package. It creates a pest control crust on top of the soil that gnats can't reproduce in.

8. Thanks, but I'm waiting for that. Any other takers?

9. If you use mosquito dunks, smash them up so they dissolve quicker. Then let the plant dry to the point where it almost starts to wilt. Some remove the top layer of dirt to remove the eggs.(for gnats)

10. Good Morning City !

I'm doing my research as we speak. I stumble across with something to control spider mites. Predator Spider Mites ! :eek:

I have heard in the past about ladybugs to control S.M. but spider mites eating spiders mites is kind of freaky. However it is sold as an real alternative and is not cheap.

Any of you have experience with those little bastards ?

P.S. - Just want to cover all my bases and learn the know how of things !

Peace

ZS

11. #115 badboy287, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012
    Sorry to dig this thread back up, but I have a question, I was in my local nursery today and noticed they have neem oil, I was planning on ordering the dyna-gro brand from amazon, but I just decided to pick this up, brand is "Bonide Neem Oil",

Edit: pressed send by accident

I noticed also there's , active ingredients and other ingredients listed 70% -30% active ingredient is clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil.

And upon reading the inserts it says for organic gardening but toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment, also says do not add adjuvants (spreaders, stickers, extenders, etc.) .... should I use it?

12. I'm sure someone can comment on the hydrophobic extraction process, but I'm not the one. Would you be able to find the MSDS for the product?

13. [quote name='"FunTimeGrowHap"']I'm sure someone can comment on the hydrophobic extraction process, but I'm not the one. Would you be able to find the MSDS for the product?[/quote]

Sorry but MSDS? o_O

14. MSDS = I forget the exact first word, but the rest is 'Safety Data Sheet' --> it tells you what chemical reactions it can have, toxicity, etc. - it'll supply you with info on such as 'contains chlorine - don't mix w/ ammonia', and if it's safe to use on plants that are consumed by humans. The best way to find out, that I know of, would be to contact the company directly ('cuz I'm lousy on searching the info myself on the 'net) & ask them if it's safe to use on plants that are to be consumed - tell them you grow sage and/or tobacco for smudging & are worried about the effects of it being in the smoke. If they don't know, they'll find out lickety-split...wouldn't want to have you suing them about it, it it harms you, and if it's safe to use, they can add that to their marketing info, so you actually do them a favor by asking.

15. [quote name='"PirateFarmer"']

MSDS = I forget the exact first word, but the rest is 'Safety Data Sheet' --> it tells you what chemical reactions it can have, toxicity, etc. - it'll supply you with info on such as 'contains chlorine - don't mix w/ ammonia', and if it's safe to use on plants that are consumed by humans. The best way to find out, that I know of, would be to contact the company directly ('cuz I'm lousy on searching the info myself on the 'net) & ask them if it's safe to use on plants that are to be consumed - tell them you grow sage and/or tobacco for smudging & are worried about the effects of it being in the smoke. If they don't know, they'll find out lickety-split...wouldn't want to have you suing them about it, it it harms you, and if it's safe to use, they can add that to their marketing info, so you actually do them a favor by asking.[/quote]

Cool thanks man.

16. Remember to let us know what you find out, to add to our knowledge base!