Natural insecticides and fungicides

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Corto Malteze, Feb 9, 2009.

1. How does a company like bonide (capt jacks) come up with an application rate for a bacteria?

I mean the bacteria grows, right? It's a living thing, so it seems like with a little carbohydrate, you could use a lot less by culturing it for a day or two then using.

Am i missing something? Is this stuff in suspended animation, for long term storage? If it is, then is it alive? Can we wake it up?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to reverse engineer it for my own benefit.....MIW

2. All good questions. I'm looking for information about an oral application rate to replace the Comfortis flea tablets which cost about $110.00 for a 6 month supply (1 tablet per month).

What I know so far is that there are 2 strains of Spinosad grown and produced - Spinosyn A and Spinosyn D. What I haven't learned yet is which one of these strains are contained in the organic pesticide versions vs. the flea medication products like Comfortis.

Hey - it's owned and controlled by Eli Lilly so getting information is difficult.

LD

3. hey LD
    This is a little off topic but i know you know your stuff. How late into flowering can i foliar spray i dont have bugs or anything (knock on wood) lol and my plants look great nothing wrong here, i occasionally spray with technaflora plant products ltd soluble seaweed extract. whats your opinion here??

4. Not LD, but the later your in flower, the greater the chance you will be smoking what your spraying. Would you smoke seaweed? Your call. Once flowering is in full swing at around three weeks I stop spraying anything. If I had bugs my first choice is lavender flowers, and believe it or not I have vaped lavender flowers. There very nice on the lungs, in case your wondering, lol. MIW

5. Spraying buds with anything wet is asking for bud rot as well.

6. hahaha thats good to know miw ill be putting some lavender in the old volcano very soon. and thanks for the info i havent sprayed anytime soon and my babies are about 28 days into flowering.

Attached Files:

7. There it is.............

8. yeah i got it thanks for the help guys.

9. boling hot perppers in water and then staing seems to work for me, keep the juice in the frig, and use a small spray bottle and spray the plants a few times a day... keeps the bugs away

10. glad it works man. I never tried the boiling, I place a handful of red hot peppers and garlic in some water for 2 weeks. Add a few drops of soap for it to stick. Then I strain it and spray it. It kills any bugs but repeat after rains (not for guerilla). For guerilla, I use pyrethrin once and then the plant makes it on its own with sun food teas and time. Thanks Lumperdawgs for all the knowledge. :hello:

11. Corto Malteze

You method is preferable to boiling.

Here's why: Capsaicin and several related compounds are called capsaicinoids and are produced as a secondary metabolite by chili peppers and has a very simple molecular formula: C18 H27 N O3 - Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen and Oxygen is the amounts noted.

Look at THC's molecular formula: C21 H30 O2 - Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen in the amounts noted.

If you were to take your buds and boil them what would be the effect on the THC?

Same thing happens when boiling any plant material where the COMPOUND is what you're striving to extract. Elements stay there because they're elemental! LOL

That's as simple as I know how to explain it.

HTH

LD

12. [quote name='"ganjaprenuer"']hey LD
    This is a little off topic but i know you know your stuff. How late into flowering can i foliar spray i dont have bugs or anything (knock on wood) lol and my plants look great nothing wrong here, i occasionally spray with technaflora plant products ltd soluble seaweed extract. whats your opinion here??[/quote]

Hey did u ever find anything out about the Technaflora Soluble Seaweed Extract foliage spraying? If so how do u use it, how much , how offer ect.!! I just bought some because this guy I met swears by it!!!

Thank u
    Rick James

13. Rick

It's simply hydrated seaweed extract powder adulterated with some weird forms of Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium to bump up the label.

You can buy the base material (powdered seaweed extract) from KIS Compost Tea Brewers - Keep It Simple Seaweed Powder for $13.99 for 1 lb. This will make 160 gallons of ready-to-apply soil nutrient.

For foliar sprays you can double that number of gallons to 320.

For $13.99 a pound.

Someone should drop a hint to the Wally & Beaver at Technaflora - posting links to a product's MSDS will definitely limit market penetration.

HTH

LD

14. :( I just found root aphid's. I am running a aquaponic system and have been noticeing an unusual lack of vigor! Then i saw a few of the little bastards floating in my tray :eek: All I reed about these guys is use bad chem's or chop it all down and start over. But if they have spread to my house plants that is not a option..... Some of my plant's have been passed through genaration's. Everything is in soil evan the aquaponic setup is a soil hybrid. I just happend to pick up some neem meal for a fungas gnat battle and all around good soil amendment hope it will help with the RA' to. Any thoughts on this or anybody in hear deal with these little suckers?

15. [​IMG][/IMG]

I may have overlooked grasshoppers in the original post.
    But I need help asap. My plants are getting trashed outside by baby grasshoppers. I have a large area to cover about half an acre.
    any suggestions will be helpful.
    I have been looking into Nosema Locustae bait but I would like something thats more aggressive and doesnt take weeks to work.
    save me girls please!!!!

16. Remo from what I have read in this thread sinosad might be a good option. Captain Jack's dead bug dust seems to be a good option for treating a big plot. Im shure there are cheaper methods but it seem's to be a efective one. Im just wondering if it will help root aphids but it dose not look it dose from what i have read.

17. I am shure they are root aphipd's I checked one out under the scope. The damage I am seeing is simalar to root rot.:(

18. Aphids Management Guidelines--UC IPM

make sure they are aphids, if they are at the roots at some point within a week or less they should go airborne. It says most species go airborne the root phase is a reproductive one and they will send out flyers to go much on foliage and find new homes. The kind of just chill on the underside of leaves, in clusters. They secrete white honeydew slime that will mold to black. They have small stick thingies projecting from their rear body and antennae. they don't move fast when disturbed. So make sure it's aphids. You wouldnt want to waste money on bioinsecticide when all you may need is an ACT to stop the root rot....

19. Unfortunatly I am 100% shure they are root aphid's unless there is a nother bug that look's exactly like it and eat's root's. No flyer's yet that I can tell and I havent seen any more crawler's since I drenched the soil with a neem cake tea but I am shure they are still there waighting to piss me off! Thank's for the advice thoe hope. I think I will try some hot pepper's on them while there are no fish in the system anyone ever use the pepper's for a soil drench?