Natural Decarboxylation

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Big Swifty, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Greetings,

Does anyone have reliable information on how long it takes cannabis to naturally decarboxylate through drying/curing and to what degree does decarboxylation take place? I've done a bit of research but so far haven't found any detailed answers that go beyond natural decarboxylation takes place through drying/aging.

I'm looking to make some tincture to help with my wife's pain/medical issues. Imported CBD products are crazy expensive. I also plan on making a tincture containing THC for relaxation purposes, but my question concerns making a THCA/CBDA tincture from locally available cannabis. I'm a gringo living in S. America and at this point I'm not connected enough to know the actual growers, so I have no exact info on strains or the curing process. Depending on circumstances I may plan on making the effort to know the source personally instead of through someone just selling.

I know that cannabis will naturally decaboxylate through drying/curing, but I'm trying to find out how much and how quickly. In addition to my wife, I'd like to provide medicine to others. One person is a small child and others are interested in a non-psychoactive, THC free product. Cannabis has within the last two months been made legal for medical uses so there currently is no industry based around it. Not sure where I could get flowers or extracts tested for cannabinoid types and levels. Even if a lab exists that does this type of testing and I felt comfortable in using their services (this new industry will be heavily regulated and only pharmaceutical labs will be allowed to make extracts, I'm not sure what penalties there'll be for those who make their own), the plants I use would likely change with each batch I produced. This has me looking for generalized, but detailed, information on the natural decarboxylation process where I can at least have an idea how much/little THCA has become THC just by drying alone.

Thanks for any response.

• Like Like x 1
  2. My experience only- medical marijuana is very difficult without dispensary/physician help. When you are dealing with children the dosing is critical. There is no way to know the make up and strength of cannabis without testing. I suggest checking out two threads- BadKittySmiles thread and PsychedelicSam's Another Tincture thread. PSam's thread might be best, but peruse both. The tincture part of the thread has moved to Dragon Lite (all stickied threads). Hopefully PSam will see your post and help, but feel free to post your questions in his thread. It's not in the medical section, but there is a lot of medical information, recipes, and test results. Lots of discussion on CBD, and high CBD strains. Good luck.

3. I have a question on natural decarb...I have some 2 yr old kief would I add to a tincture as is or should I decarb?