Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

National Public Radio:Plummeting Marijuana Prices Create A Panic In Cali

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by seymor skagneti, May 16, 2010.

1. Heard a good story on National Public Radio this afternoon about the Emerald triangle
    drying up, some business are already feeling it & closing according to the
    info.
    Also it reported on How the dispensaries are setting the market $$$ and indoor is way more
    preferred by the dispensaries than outdoor and they only buy the most cosmetically appealing trimmed buds, check it out.

Here's the link Plummeting Marijuana Prices Create A Panic In California : NPR

S.S.

2. #2 Storm Crow, May 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
    Frankly, I don't feel that sorry for the "poor" growers!

Look at ginseng- the cheap stuff costs about $35 per pound dry weight. Ginseng is a very fussy plant, it needs certain soil and light conditions or it just doesn't grow well. It also takes YEARS until harvest. Ginseng growers make a profit.

Blueberries- same deal, only they get about $20 per pound fresh. Again, a fussy plant, must be hand picked, and years before the first harvest. Blueberry growers make a profit.

Tomatoes- now here we have a tender annual- rather like cannabis. Tomatoes at the local (over-priced) store yesterday were $1.79 on sale for the cheap Romas. OK to be fair, that's wet weight, so let's dry the tomatoes. Most organisms are about 80% water, so 10 pounds wet ($17.90) goes down to 2 pounds dry. About $18 for 2 pounds dry works out to $9 a pound! Of course, you'd have to add a bit for doing the process of drying them- another buck or two per pound? Tomato growers make a profit.

I grow my cannabis under CFLs for a cost of about $20 per month (mostly for electricity). I grow enough for my husband and my self. My plants are kept deliberately small to offset any potential problems with the local sheriff. He has stated he would bust legal medical growers if their plants even LOOKED like they could produce over 8 ounces. The 8 ounce limit was tossed by the Ca. Supreme Court, but Riggins is still sheriff in this backwater county (until the next election- He's retiring :D :hello:).

So do I feel sorry for the poor growers getting less- not really! :p Any other type of farmer would be thrilled to get even $50 a pound for their crop! I think when every garden has a few plants tucked in among the roses, we may see the return of the $20 ounce! (I bought fat ounces for $10 long ago, but inflation is a reality, so call it $20)

You want that $20 an ounce pot? Become an activist! Legalize and the price DROPS LIKE A STONE! :D Seeds and clones are out there, and cannabis is just too easy to grow. Once prohibition is eliminated, reality will set in and the price will no longer be artificially high!

Granny :wave: