National debt clock

Discussion in 'General' started by Organika_, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Ok so in my economics class we were talking about how fucked our country is becoming.. which is obvious. Our government keeps spending money it doesnt have and keeps digging us into a bigger shit hole every minute. We could go on about the economy all day.

As of RIGHT NOW every American would have to issue the government a check for $34,774.82 to cover their share of debt. That means your baby sister, grandparents etc.

Our Nations current debt as of this moment is $10,625,129,837,782.80

In the upcoming year, the government PLANS to already add over another $2 TRILLION to this number.

We need to as citizens become aware, and do something about this horse shit.

2. Awesome. I don't care though.

3. It is indeed fucked up. Our government takes money from the federal reserve with interest. This money, by the way, is not backed by anything and is simply made out of thin air. So, money is really made out of the debt and interest we owe back to the fed. Since the only way to get more money is to take it from the fed, we essentially get caught in a huge loop that never ends. And as new money is added to the pot, the value of the dollar will continually decrease. Basically, if we don't start backing money by gold, or create a new system, we'll be in a depression very soon.

4. its time to ask israel to pay back the 7+ trillion dollars we've given them in the last 30 years with nothing in return as far as benefiting the united states, only them fucking with Palestinians. just a suggestion.

5. What's the point? It's not like they're gonna be like, "here you go" and hand over 7 trillion dollars. Pretty much every country's in debt, it's life, there's more money spent than could ever be made

6. which tells you that you should stop relying on money and start being self sufficient

7. That number is just too big for a vast majority of Americans to even begin to understand.

Things don't exist in the trillions, unless you're talking about national debt. People realize it's a big number, but I don't think they realize exactly how large it is.

The richest American at the moment is Warren Buffet, with a net worth totalling in somewhere around 58 Billion dollars. It would take 183 of Warren's fortunes to repay the debt. I can't even fathom how much money that really is.

8. It's enough money to try and kill you're-self with marijuana at least a hundred thouasand times over.

9. make your own goddamn internet then

10. This why I invest all my money into pogs.

11. come to canada if you're concerned about national debt.
    In comparison, Canada's national debt is a "mere" $805 billionish (or $690,726,990,157 USD), AND FALLING. Keep in mind that we have a much smaller population, sitting at around 32,805,041, so our per capita debt load, coverted at today's exchange rate of $1 CAD = $0.863408 USD is around $21,055 USD/Canadian, and, thankfully, falling.