Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Names of weed

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Verb1, Jun 26, 2011.

1. So is there anyone else out there who doesn't give a shit about the name of the weed they're smoking...i personally hate it when people talk about this strain and that strain like it really matters at all (right?) I have always thought that names were more of a marketing gimmick to make your stash more appealing ...just a note im talking mostly about dealers than dispensaries but I guess the same can go for them to

2. I like to know, but more often than not I just pickup whatever he has. I'm not too fussed, but it makes the dealer seem like they know what they're doing if they tell ya whats on offer.

3. it doesnt matter what its called if it wasnt grown properly its shit to me.

4. #4 Verb1, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Hahaha I was thinking the same thing the other day when I went to go pick up and 8th and the guy had different choices laid out in front of me ...kinda reminded me of grandma boy

5. Too bad it does matter. It matters so you know if the strain is an sativa, indica, or hybrid. Some people like to know these things.

6. Unless you're getting from a dispensary or someone close to the grower, there is absolutely no way you will get an accurate strain name. Most of the nug around doesn't even have a specific, named strain. It's just bud from random seeds that was grown properly.

7. Well most weed nowadays are hybrids but I wouldn't mind having my dealer tell me if I'm buying a sativa or an indica I think thats different from saying "yo im on deck with some dank ass buds called purple monkey fucking coconut haze"

8. My dealer never says anything about names. Most names are bs anyway unless it comes straight from a dispensary.

9. I actually think it's kind of fun in a way. Does it matter? No. The most important thing is the quality of the high; makes no difference what the particular strain is named.

10. True, but if you grow and would like the same weed again it'd help to know so you can search for the seeds...unless its something common as muck like ak47, Northern Lights, White Widow, Skunk...

11. #11 GrapeStreet, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011
    If you're a grower, breeder, or cannaisseur, the proper and accurate name of a strain is actually very important.

I review strains for a local company, and yes, every "real" strain has it's own qualities that will carry over from one grow to another, and from one grower to another. No, it's not ALL bullshit, there's just a lot of bullshit within the system.

Durban Poison tastes like DP, every time.
    NYCD tastes like NYCD, every time.
    Querkle (Space Queen X Purple Urkle) does indeed carry the grape taste from the Urkle side.

in fact, for the growers, not only is the strain name important, but the cut name is just as important.

For instance, lets pick Bubba Kush. Supposedly bred by a local dispensary owner, the seeds from the original Bubba X Kush cross were grown, bloomed out, and selected for quality.

Out of this, multiple unstable "cuts" of Bubba Kush were created. A cut is a clone, or moreso, the name of the clones that all came from the same plant.

The seeds of these plants may not have the same characteristics as the originals, and each of the cuts may be VERY different, depending on the purebred nature of the original parents.

So, you may have bubba kush, but you may have one of a variety of cuts...or possibly the progeny of a stressed hermie.

Another example is Jack Herer. While many growers and dispensaries have Jack Herer in stock, and almost any cannaisseur could identify a "fake" out of a line up, different cuts of the strain have been around for over a decade. The best, in my opinion, is the "J-1" cut, one of the originals from the 90's.

In fact, I've met people who probably smoked the exact same cut 15 years ago.

--
    Now, as far as naming rights, anyone can name anything, however just because it has a name does not mean it's a stable strain, or a purebred (aka. truebreed). Most pot growers are not horticulturalists and do not care to go through the time and energy to develop truly homozygous strains that will "breed true" for their key phenotypes.

So if you cross your White Widow with a DJ Short's True Blue, and you get 5 seeds to pop, you would be correct in calling them "WW X True Blue #1 - #5" however if you wanted, you could also call them "Blue Widow" or "Whiteberry" or "Jim's Fucking Incredible Weed".

For the end user, it doesn't matter, but if you were to give your grower friend a cut of "Whiteberry #3" that you've nicknamed the "King Cut", but you didn't tell him that it's an unstable F1 cross of two F8+ strains, he will muddle his head trying to figure out why none of his seeds came out like the original plant. This is a grower's faux pais. You should instead use the "White Widow X DJ Short's True Blue #3 (F1)" Then at least people know what it is they're getting.

He could, on the other hand, simply keep growing Whiteberry #3, taking clones, and in 15 years, the "King Cut" may still be available, and will be genetically identical to that plant you grew over a decade ago.

--
    There are thousands of strains, out of those, probably less than a 500 are truebreeds, the rest are the result of pollen chuckers, hermie mistakes, bag-seed plantings and liars.

It's tough, but over time, you can associate strain's names with their qualities, and eventually be able to spot a "faker" or poor grower by contrasting with other batches you got.

--
    But, y'all are right, for the black markets, and joe smokers, it's not important nor generally accurate.

--
    FYI - KindReviews.com REALLY good place for info on strains. these guys hunt all over to find accurate information on strain origins.

12. I love that response grape street.

13. I definitely agree :) Also I have some strains that I like quite a bit (Sour D and Blue Dream) so if I come across them I definitely want to get some.

14. the only thing that matters is if its gunna get me blazed stupid... but i do like to kno the name if it rlly does have a name. some ppl jus like to stick names on shit to make it sell, lol

15. i get my shit seasonal, i never smoke the same stuff for more than month, i mean weed is weed but the name is different everytime

16. Just wait until you join the "blue" (medical) market or better yet, in a few years, the "white" (legal) market. You'll start to see the difference in taste, effect, and overall experience.

It's the same as alcohol, some people drink Keystone, Budweiser, Coors and PBR...cuz they're lookin to get drunk, they don't care what the piss tastes like.

Then there are those who enjoy a Colorado Microbrew, Kentuky Bourbon, and a '97 Riesling, finishing off with a 30 year old Port with a splash of Amaretto.

The first guy got drunk...yes he did. So did the second guy. Neither did it better, but one paid a lot more, because for him, it wasn't just about getting drunk, it was about having a drink.

For some, the destination is the goal, and they shall achieve.

For others, the journey holds the keys to contentment and sentient stimulation.

To Each His Own...

17. Haha grapestreet you really know your shit lol

18. I know only what I've not left to learn.

19. So are you also a philosopher lol

20. only thing to know is how dank it is and whether its sativa, indica, or hybrid. fuck strain names unless your getting from a dispensary