1. Win a $250 shopping spree at Grasscity.com! To enter subscribe to our youtube channel.
    Dismiss Notice

Name this artwork

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by LonerStoner, May 21, 2003.

1. Anyone know what this picture is called or who it is by? I wanted to find a better quality picture that is bigger for my backround.

Attached Files:

2. i don't know the name but that looks like a piece from M.C. Escher.

PEace

3. Yah, its totally Escher...the name is either "House of Stairs" or "Relativity" ...I can't remember.

4. that would be realtivity

5. <a href=http://www.mcescher.com>
    House of Stairs, 1951
    [​IMG]
    </a>

6. ahhh, escher.

the dude was a craftsman. a manipulator of physics, a manipulator of images and a manipulator of the mind.
    the dude was... a craftsman.

:D

7. nah, he was only trippin' with perspective. i love the endless water-aquaduct thing he made. basically a simple cube that's twisted in perspective so that it seems like the water is flowing downstream in an endless loop. awesome.

wonder if he was on drugs :)

8. I remember doing some 'work' on Escher in second year at my school. I say work, but in fact, they actually made us copy the picture (!?). It seems like a rather lazy way to teach us about the man's perspective and inspirations... "copy this".

Although I could be wrong, Digit, didn't you do art at college? Maybe the method would be a considered a good way of getting inside the artists head. Speaking of your physical artistic days, I remember seeing an exhibition including some of your work. I was very impressed! In fact, I left a comment stating that an obscure painting of the inside of the St. Magnus Cathedral by you was the highlight!

9. I did a bit of searching and I recognised the picture I was saying about. It was 'Three Worlds.'

Attached Files:

10. Thanks everyone.

11. i personally am not a fan of copying, no matter the reason for it... but we still had to do some of that @ college. i blame the facisto mega bitch head tutor. anyways... i'll say no more on that subject or i'll b bitching for days.

that Cathedral picture is hanging up in my mum's sitting room right now.
    i think i remember that (comment).
    i still do "physical" art (or traditional as i call it)... just not quite as much... and its all way more surreal these days. except i do have a three shitty water colour landscapes for sale in a couple galleries. bleh! i hate that crap.

Grasscity Deals Near You