Nails, dome or domeless?

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by Just_another_stoner, Mar 15, 2015.

1. I'm currently in a debate with myself. I'm fairly new to dabbing and I have a small rig (I think it's 10mm). I just bought a quartz nail for it and I LOVE the quartz! I currently am using a setup with a dome and said nail.. It works well but my dome is cracking (I think from repetitive heating). I have used domeless nails in the past and have found them more convenient.... I was just wondering what the positives and negatives of domeless nails vs a nail with a dome were.
    Ramble on, y'all.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Edit: I do not directly hear my dome but after 3-4 dabs, it will be hot.

Heat*

3. Go domeless and get a carb cap, domes and nails are good but cant retain heat well enough to take fat low tempers. Get an HE if u go ti, cant go wrong

4. domeless really need a carbcap to get a decently good dab, otherwise you're pretty much forced to take a hot dab

5. I generally take hot dabs. Get the nail red, wait like 7-10 seconds and dab away. Again, I'm currently using a dome with a quartz nail and I think I want to stay with quartz.

Will anything flat and heat resistant will work as a carb cap? What are the benefits of using one?

Attached Files:

6. why so hot??

7. Personal preference I suppose!

8. #8 YoShytsWeak, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
    Looks like a glass nail. And yuck! Hot dabs are gross!

9. He prefers to destroy his flavor and thc of his oil.

10. That's just how I was taught to dab man

Care to explain a more correct way?

11. get it barley red the let it cool longer and thumb the dome. And dont use a paperclip

12. Heat up your nail till it barely shows red. Then let it sit for around 35 seconds before you dab. After you place the concentrate on the nail you then carb the dome/nail to get all your vapor from the low temp dab. You don't want your piece to full milk till after you carb it is the temp you are looking for

13. #13 DabsOnTheMountain, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
    The people who taught you that were wrong and new to dabbing. Or just plain ignorant.

You want your oil to melt onto the nail, spread across, vape a bit and then you put the cap on and it vapes away. Not get dropped on a nail, splatter everywhere and be gone in an instant. When you get it right you'll know. It'll taste like nothing you've ever tasted before, honestly. It's like smelling a bag of buds, but in your mouth. None of that smokey nastiness will be there, just the goodness. You'll never go back.

And I like domed nails better. I have an infinity, and a flux. It really just comes down to the sized dabs I like to take and where I keep my rig. I prefer smaller dabs >.05 so it works well. You enjoy it more than bigger dabs, theres no coughing at all and better flavor. I view each dab now as a bong hit, and plan for 3-4 at each session. So because of this too, if you were heating up the infinity, you'd have to refill the torch every session. The flux is hot enough in about 15 seconds even with my $12 plastic torch.

Then also I keep my rig in a cabinet, I don't want things catching on fire. I take everything out to dab, and then put it right back when I'm done. So I sometimes just throw it in the cabinet without looking, and the way the rig get swung around im gonna get burnt without the dome eventually. Even now i sometimes burn myself before i even put the dome on. Theres also a brown rectangle charred in the back of the cabinet from one time i pushed the rig too far back after dabbing with the domeless. Although it's never gonna be hot enough to burn the cabinet it got me worried.

The only thing i can think of that's a downside to domes is that people don't want more glass to worry about breaking. But if your good with glass it's fine.

It all comes down to personal preference. Their both the pinnacle of current dabbing tech besides Enails. Although some deny it they both work just as well in the end. Drop a marble over the dome and it's a better carb than a real cap on a domeless. It all really depends on the size dabs you prefer, how much you mind longer heating times, and how careful you'll be around a hot nail. I prefer domed.

14. Did you see the oil in the pic? You can see the tane glistening from the flash..yuuuck