n00b ?'s part 1

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ten footers, Jan 8, 2010.

1. hello all,

im going to start growing in my closet, it is about 5-6ft x 7-8ft, i have a copy of the growers bible, about 500-1000 to spend on materials, i told the people i am living with about it and they did not say no, but obviously they are worried about a HUGE jump in the electric bill, obv like 100 bucks extra wont be a big deal.

My question i guess is 2 fold,

one, using a 1000w light, plus 2 400 w can fans (what i heard you will need), plus about 10w in other shit, gives me about 170 dollars a month in electricity alone, is this not too high a jump in my bill? any literature or input on this would be great (i live in florida if that helps). I did the math and taking out one of the fans saves me about 30-50 dollars.

How many plants would i have to be growing to maximize a 1000w 2 400w can fans in a room with the specifactions i already gave?

is that set up just overkill for my small area?

if i downgraded to a 600 how many plants would you suggest doing?

any input at all would be greatly appreciated. I need to figure this stuff out before i order seeds so that i know how many to order

keep in mind my price limitations as well please,

sorry if i sound really ignorant i am just completely new to this and have done a lot of reading but theres no experience like hands on experience.

2. I wouldn't advise growing more than 5 plants with that setup and with that size room 1 box fan should work fine if you have good ventilation. The main thing I use fans for is the stregnthen the plants by simulating wind you could take all fans out if your gonna spend alot of time in your grow room and the electric bill jump shouldn't be to much. And if the electric company asks say you got a heated waterbed that leaks good luck an happy growing

3. Thanks for the reply Hendrix,

So you think i should get a 1000 hps and 1 fan (maybe no fan) and put 5 girls under there with that space? my friend was telling my that i am going to have to cut holes in my wall or door for the ventilation is this true or are there alternate methods?

4. Why is it "obvious" that their concerns are the electric bill? Is it possible that they have different or additional concerns about cops busting down their door or getting robbed?

Do not grow in a property where others living there do not know about it and/or do not approve. You need their explicit consent, otherwise you need to wait until you have your own secure place.

5. #5 ten footers, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
    ok great response toasty. It is obvious that the dont want to have a huge jump in electric bill for the exact reason you mentioned after, its not like you can only be concerned about one thing, wtf kinda comment is that anyway?

i have as much of their permission as im ever going to get, if shit pops off they dont want me telling the cops "yea they knew all about it, and gave me explicit permission, toasty made sure i had explicit permission before i grew anything"

so anyone want to actually answer any of my questions instead of being an ass?

6. The hard truth, that's what kind of comment.

That doesn't make it enough. It's not.

Just because you don't want to hear the hard truth does not make me an ass. Name-calling, however, will get you booted off this forum. I didn't call you names, no need to do that to me or anyone else. Whether you realize it or not, I was trying to help you, even if it wasn't what you want to hear. I have much better things to do with my time than harass total strangers, believe me.

7. Even I think your taking this a little too hard, like the last guy I understood but this person clearly said he has consent, how much more does he need, people who have no clue about growing MJ think the lights on all the time are going to skyrocket the bill and what not, just explain to them it doesnt take as much as you think, ESP if your using CFL's plus you dont need to worry about heat issues.

Im all down for consent and what not, I agree, but the man did say he had it and that his roomates were concerned about how much an electric bill will be.

8. thanks suppa, and sorry toasty, im not meaning to call names

the point of the subject was not and still is not anything to do with me getting permission for this grow, what i need is help.

Can anyone help me with any of the following:

A. Best strains for a small closet like this
    B. Best light set up for a closet of this size without jumping in too far over my head on my first grow
    C. Best set up for the price range i am in (500-1000 dollars)
    D. Best amount of plants to grow with each set up

i know these questions are vague and there are a lot of "ifs" that could drastically change the answer, but just a starting point would be great. I want to probably start with a 1000w hps with 10-12 indica girls under there. Maybe i should start with a 600w and 5-8 girls, any input would be great.

There really are no wrong answers.

9. I dont know if by 400 watt fans maybe did you mean 2-400 cfm fans. I looked on HTG Supply and a 6" High output Inline can fan is rated at 131 watts/440 cfm. It really affects the energy cost.

10. lol im assuming thats sarcasm? Either way thanks for putting that in perspective. The 1000 hps alone will make the bill jump 100 bucks though, but i agree with you guys, i do not think that is likely to be a big enough jump to warrant any action.

I really dont want this thread to become "am i going to get pwned by po for my electricity"

i just want to know what you guys suggest using in that space? and with that budget

11. what sacrcasm cubic feet per minute is typically how fans are rated.

12. #12 ten footers, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010
    no sarcasm because earlier i said 2 400 w fans would really affect my bill, when really 2 would create about 262 or w/e, much lower and affecting my bill much left.

so i thought when you said "yea it really affects it" at the end, you were being patronizing, i do appreciate the response and you clearing up that fans are measured that way not the way i had initially thought.

a question though, i was looking at the fans on HTG like you said, and they have both output inlines (more expensive) and reg inlines, what is the difference and do you need both or is it recomended that i get both if i use a 1000 in this space, what if i use a 600?

13. no problem figure your cubic area of your room and size accordingly. I did some math with averages on utilty rates in FLA and came out around $96 a month at 24hrs a day for 30 days.

14. my room is about 5 1/2'' x 6 1/2'' so what light do you recommend using 600 or 1000? and how many plants do you think i should grow

keep in mind i only have about 1000 dollars to spend (maybe a little less)

15. #15 burntwood, Jan 9, 2010
    what is your room height? I think a 600 watt would cover your area fine. On the fan you want one that will exchange your air in 1-2 minutes. The number of ladies depends on how long you keep them in the veg. stage.

16. thanks burntwood for your quick responses, i really do appreciate the help because iwanted to go to the hydro store and get all my stuff tomorrow.

im not quite sure on the height, standard bedroom height, whatever that is i think around 8 feet.

as for the vegging i was going to force flower as soon as the preflowering starts, i wanted to go with more small girls than a few big ones.

and with the fan, is that the only fan i will need and is that the inline or the output inline?

17. #17 burntwood, Jan 9, 2010
    So the cubic area is 5.5 x 6.5 x 8= 286 cubic feet. I think that one High Tech Garden Supply for cooling the room and air exchange. You will want a standard box fan or oscillating fan blowing air by the ladies. If you dont plan on topping or LST'ing you can fit more in your area. I dont want to say a specific number cuz im no pro but 7-8 would make me happy. G/L

HTG also has that fan with a carbon filter for $185.

18. does anyone else agree/disagree with going with a 600w with 8 girls in this area?

also burnt do you have a suggestion on light brands? or does anyone for that matter.

i was reading in the grow bible and it says that even if there are two 1000hps set ups one could have more lumens because of the design and other factors, i was wondering if there is one brand that everyone agrees generates the most lumens.

19. #19 burntwood, Jan 9, 2010
  20. alright thanks so much for your help, another thing, first on the site it didnt really mention that it was for both MH and HPS,do you have experience with this kind first hand and know that it is actually for both?

also my friend told me i am going to have to cut holes in my wall or door for ventilation, is this true or is there an alternative method