N-P-K in soil for seedlings

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by StonedPilot, Dec 10, 2010.

1. I'm about to go out and buy soil for my seedlings and was wondering what the npk should be... i was thinking 30-15-15 would be a lil much 15-7-7 might do eh?

2. How about 0-0-0 for seedlings?

Seedlings neither need or want any nutes for ~ the first 3 weeks from sprout.

Nutes will just burn them.

Wet

3. Organics the best way to go. Try Fox Farm Ocean forest soil you here alot of good things on here about it. Do a search.

4. I dont know who carries fox farm in canada... and yes I'd like to go organic. 0-0-0 is right on.. I'f i dont get that I'll get something with really low amounts. thanks alot. I've grown before out side but I dont have room for 200 plants in side lol so i want to do every thing to the T

5. I agree no nutes for baby sprouts.

In any event, 30-15-15 and 15-7-7 look like fertilizer numbers, I can't see how either could possibly be for a soil. Those numbers represent the percentage of the total substance that is each of the nutrients nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium respectively. So 30-15-15 means that 60% of the substance is either N, P, or K, leaving only 40% of that soil to be, well, soil.

Soil numbers usually are very low, because the nutes are a very small percentage of the overall substance, such as 0.3-0.1-0.1.

6. Hey you got any good thread links exspaining those nutes and numbers?

7. I thought I just did explain it...

8. #8 BingoBob, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2010
    Germ em in water for 24-48 hours then go into soil. Ocean Forest is great shit. Its what I use. Don't use nutes until they're out of the seedling phase.

9. I know all about germing and stuff.... Just wanted to know what the best type of soil was... I've heard lots of good things about fox farm but I dont have a clue where to buy it in canada... I'm not gonna pay shiping from the states but I'll check around.

10. Look for Jiffy seed starting mix or Fox Farm Light Warrior for your seedlings. Then transplant into Fox Farm Ocean Forest

11. thanks for the help guys

12. I start them on 1/6-1/4 strength nutrients once I see the 3 bladed leaves...

In any event be very gentle when first intoducing nutrients they don't like being blasted in the face with a shotgun. They'd rather slip into a warm bath.

13. I would use a soiless mix. All you need for nutes is CalMag which is 9-0-0. And P and K seperatly so you can control your own mix. Quite simple and I use RAW brand. I got all 3 for less than $30. Small but lasts a while by 1/2 doses which you should using anyways. Soil=problems in my experience.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. Don't get fox farms over here either. Look for bio bizz.
    Get a lite mix for seedlings/cuttings