Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

CBD N. Carolina - CBD Low Doses and High Prices

Discussion in 'CBD Oil' started by Storm Crow, Dec 29, 2022.

1. Just came across this and I thought I'd post it up as sort of a "cautionary" study. There is a LOT of fraud and mislabeling when it comes to CBD, and not just in North Carolina! Be careful when you are buying CBD products.

Really folks, think about it, how bad does it have to be for the scientists to start studying how bad it is? :huh:Unfortunately, I think this study could have been done in ANY state! :coolalt:

CBD Retailers in NC Promote CBD Online to Treat Pain Violating FDA Rules About Medical Claims and Offer Low-CBD/High-Price Products. (USA) (full - 2022) CBD Retailers in NC Promote CBD Online to Treat Pain Violating FDA Rules About Medical Claims and Offer Low-CBD/High-Price Products

Introduction: Cannabidiol (CBD) products are available nearly nationwide in the US and can coexist with medical or recreational programs. North Carolina (NC) is an example of a state with a program dedicated to integrating hemp cultivation and medicinal CBD exclusively, containing a multitude of retailers selling it as a primary product. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) mandates that non-FDA approved CBD products cannot be marketed using medical or health-related claims and has sent warning letters to retailers violating these terms. We aim to characterize the online content of the NC CBD market by analyzing retailers' websites to determine whether hemp/CBD shops comply with FDA regulations in terms of medical claims and analyze the claimed CBD content and price of products offered online.

Methods: We randomly selected three CBD retailers from the ten most populated cities of NC. We analyzed their website content: product type, medical claims, other disclaimers, price, and CBD content.

Results: We found that edible, oral, inhalable, and topical products are offered in similar proportions. Word analysis of product description revealed that "pain" and "pain relief" were the most common medical claim, followed by inflammation and anxiety. Health claims were mostly related to wellbeing. Other attributes indicate that products are associated with pleasant flavors or sensations (ie, cool, lavender, delicious, honey, menthol), which resembles the strategies used for tobacco advertisement. Most products (61%) claimed to contain less than 1000 mg of CBD. The median price of products ranged from $15-30 per 300 mg. We found a positive correlation between CBD content and price.

Discussion: Our data demonstrate that the NC online CBD market does not comply with FDA regulations, primarily targets patients with pain, inflammation, or anxiety, and offers products with low CBD concentration and high prices. New policies should limit the access and online promotion of non-pharmaceutical grade CBD products.

Some of the claims by online CBD companies are a bit "overenthusiastic", and need more, and larger, studies to verify their claims. And the track record of online CBD businesses is hardly something to be proud of- Study: Nearly 70% of online CBD marijuana extracts are mislabeled (news - 2017) Study: Nearly 70% of online CBD marijuana extracts are mislabeled

The laws on CBD products really need to be tightened so that the potency on label, and in the product, agree! Also, CBD studies often use very large doses of CBD to create changes in pain levels or mood. Then you end up with people wondering why they can't get the same sort of results when using a mislabeled product with only a tiny fraction of what was used in the study.

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. I use a cultivar called thunder struck
    10% thc, 15% cbd
    131f31b4-e251-4930-a0d5-4353746b3fe8.jpeg

(6 reviews)Prime ATC
    Silver Flower

Details

THC 10.09% CBD 15.56%

Description

Genetics: ACDC x ACDC
    Lineage: CBD Dominant
    Aroma: Earthy, herbal, spicy, cheesy
    Reported Effects: Clear headed, may help with nausea, epilepsy, relaxation, anxiety
    Testing: TAC: 26.33% | Total THC: 10.09% | Total CBD: 15.56% | D9: 0.23% | THCA: 9.86% | CBD: 0.41% | CBD-A 15.3% | CBGA: 0.68% | Alpha-Pinene: 0.25% | Beta-Myrcene: 0.97% | Linalool: 0.25% | Beta-Pinene: 0.15%

My experience has been that the thc has to be pretty high for the cbd flower to have noticeable effects for pain management
    I use thunderstruck for sleep
    You wake up with a clear head and minimal to no sedation
    Had to turn to cultivars like LA Kush Cake that top 30% thc and concentrates for pain management

Most folks I met at festivals in Maine were adamant about avoiding commercial cbd products because of the processing

IMG_20221228_204818.jpg

Working with these cultivars to see what kind of extraction and combination we can put together for some anti inflammatory edible
    This may be a way around restrictions for folks in assisted living with cannabis needs
    Working on the decarb times for the different cultivars

https://plantseveryday.com/blog/how-to-decarb-cbg-cannabigerol-with-actual-lab-results

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. I've always found the high prices of CBD products to be a little bit silly, especially when you can get a kilo of isolate for $300.

• Like Like x 2
  4. still being treated like a poison when there is ZERO science to even conclude that it is

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I just made some CBD heavy hash capsules. They are being tested as we speak.

• Like Like x 2
  6. But is it safe for health?

• Funny Funny x 1