Mystery Indica Grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by JinTerra, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Ok so this lady sprouted on 12/13. She is a couple days shy of being 4 weeks out of seed. As you see she is getting big fast.

So here is my dilemma.

I wanted to lst her but by the time she was 3 weeks in, her stem was so thick that I could barely get a bend out of her without fear of snapping the stem. Not only that she is growing so thick and compact that it looks like lst is out of the question at this point.

The spin on this is that she came from a bag seed.

So, I have no idea if she could be an auto although I'm not sure how common it is to find auto seeds in a bag. Which brings me to trying to top her. I'm considering it but I wanted to get peoples advice here. Let me know what you guys think. Top it? Leave it? Or...? 20210108_160435.jpg 20210108_160427.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I would just top her. However I can’t say whether if she’s an auto or not but what I will say is that she’s growing fast.

Better to do it sooner than later especially since she might be an auto

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. yep, I'd just top her too. Maybe on the 4th node or so to promote nice even lower branching. If you leave the main top it will always dominate and over shadow the other branches. Don't worry she'll bounce right back, give her some tough love.

Looking great and healthy btw. :)

4. Thanks for the advice. I think i will do that tonight and keep an eye on her over the weekend. I only have so much vertical grow space so I'm trying to maximize. I'm hoping it's a female though. One of the joys of bag seed. If all goes well I will start a thread on her.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I gave her a trim yesterday morning. Knocked off the top node and 2-3 larger fan leaves. Lots of new sites getting light now. 20210110_075308.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. heck yeh man, that's gonna be a big ole bush before you know it.

7. Ok so I modded the thread name so I can just update this thread on my grow. Here is the info on setup and what I've done to date:

Setup:
    Custom Steel cabinet: 4'2 x 2'1 x 1'8
    450w dimmable LED grow light
    20w Air Pump w/ 3 airstones (4"×1, 2"x2)
    104 cfm booster fan w/ pc fan for extra flow
    Custom carbon filter
    5 gallon DWC bucket w/ 6" net basket lid
    Hydroton clay pellets
    2 Pc fans for active air intake
    1 PC fan for air circulation

Nutes:
    (Nute strength used when first sprouted until 2 weeks old)
    *Approximately 1/3 Recommended Strength on the weaker side)
    -3.5 Gallons R.O. Water-
    General Organics:
    5ml Biothrive Grow
    10ml Calmag+
    5ml Bio Root
    5ml Bio Weed
    5ml Bio Marine

Average temp/humidity: 80°/ 52%

When I did a new bath 2 weeks in I upped the nutes to a full 1/3 strength and I noticed slight nute burn on the tip of the leaves so I drained about 3/4 of a gallon and replaced with clean RO water and it cleared up. She is still on the same bath and since then she has consumed over 2 1/2 gallons of water.

She sprouted from her seed on 12/13. Since its bag seed, I cant say if its male or female but its been officially 4 weeks today since she sprouted and so signs of male parts. Im confident it will be a girl but a week or two longer will tell for sure.

I did a light prune today and got rid of some of the very bottom fan leaves and very few of the ones blocking new cola growth.

Since I'm limited on vertical growth I am considering putting her to flower as soon as she shows definite signs of being female.

Feel free to ask anything. I'll update weekly or sooner. 20210113_072945.jpg 20210113_073006.jpg 20210113_081519.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nice thick stems for a 4 week’er
    What’s your secret?o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. No big secret. Started the seeds in plugs and as soon as she germinated i put her in the bucket. No transplant stress. Being an indica has something to do with it I assume.

• Like Like x 1
  10. **Update**

Its been nearly 5 weeks and I've decided to put this lady into flower. Yesterday I trimmed some more of the lower foliage off and switched her bath to flower nutes and lights over to 12/12.

Nutes: (In a 3.25 gallon bath)
    BioThrive Bloom - 7ml
    Calmag+ - 7.5ml
    BioRoot - 7ml
    Biobud - 3.5ml
    BioMarine - 5ml

Those veg nutes really made that trunk nice and thick. Im excited to see how flower turns out.
    20210117_175203.jpg 20210117_175210.jpg 20210117_175152.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. looking great man. Just curious, are you using the recommended formula from the bottles? Or did you find that formula somewhere else?

12. That formula is more of my own based on previous growing experience. Those nutes are kind of strong to go by the manufactures recommendation. I keep it at max 1/3 strength (give/take a few hairs of a ml). If you look on the pic there is ever so slight nute burn on some of the tips.

I grew basil before that and even 1/3 strength was too much but the growth was monstrous. The basil in the pick was at 5 weeks since seed.

I took a peek today and she perked up so much and now there are preflower signs. In just one day. Its crazy how fast she is growing. 20201118_101837.jpg 20210118_170510.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Its been 5 weeks and 3 days since she popped from seed. I gave her a healthy trim yesterday and topped off her water. Might be the last trim I do. She is looking great and got some nice hairs starting to pop.

So far she has a smell that is crossed between skunk and diesel with a fruity/citrus touch. Can't wait to see those frosty buds. 20210124_125048.jpg 20210123_093241.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. We are on week 7. The pistils are coming out in droves now. Will start to see some Bracts pretty soon. I gave her a new bath of nutes and she seems to love it.

I made a choice to tie back some of the taller branches a bit. There were some sites below that were struggling for light. I will keep her as is and let whatever sites that the light can reach do its thing but I've learned now what I'm going to do different next time.

At this rate, she may be ready in about 4-6 weeks. 20210130_110808.jpg 20210130_103623.jpg

15. Tomorrow makes 8 weeks. Flowering is going very well. She is averaging about a gallon every 3 days at this point. I expect that to go up soon.

The flower stretch has finally slowed down. Good thing because I didnt have much room left, lol.

I know I said I wouldn't do it again but I gave her a good trim. So many sites that were blocked. I feel now she is opened up and yields will be better.

I plan on keeping the trimmings since its the first flower trim and they reek. Once she is done I plan on using all her trimmings and stems for some edibles.

Anyone else out there do the same? 20210206_092102.jpg 20210206_092158.jpg 20210206_092133.jpg 20210206_092258.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Well... lesson learned. Less is more when it comes to nutes. Here i was going no more than 1/3 strength and it was too much for her in flower. Yesterday I gave her a flush and through in a minute amount of micro nutrients. She seems to be on the mend and tonight ill give her a small amount of nutes to get her back on track. 20210215_161928.jpg 20210215_161955.jpg

17. Things are well underway. Not cloudy enough yet I think. Its about 50/50 on orange to white hairs and all the whites are starting to curl. She is shedding leaves which is an autumn sign so I think ill give her another week and check where things are.
    What do you guys think? 20210226_175013.jpg 20210227_061701.jpg 2021-02-27-07-27-51-075.jpg

18. Sorry I never updated. Life happens. However just to put a cap on this thread. I waited a few more weeks and pulled her. She yielded about 2.5 oz dry.

Considering all with a custom build my biggest challenges where temp getting to high and nutes.

I will start another thread shortly. I've learned and got things dialed in. Everyone knows but hydro is a different beast than soil but its a good learning experience.

• Like Like x 1