Mylar vs White

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CommieNerd, Feb 17, 2011.

1. When covering the walls of a grow box, is mylar really necessary? I have an audio/video degree and I know white is VERY reflective. Anyone know how much more reflective the mylar is? I dont have a light meter to test. Also, if mylar is a necessity, would Aluminium foil do the job? And wouldn't either of them turn up the heat in the box?

2. Your ok i paint plywood with high gloss white and works great

3. white can work just as good.

4. I was going to go for the mylar myself but I settled on some black/white poly film. the white side has 90% reflectivity compared to the 95% of mylar but the black/white poly can double as a way to light proof your grow room.

5. i saw somewhere mylar was like 90% effective, a Flat white wall is around 85%-80% (may be off a tad)

Mylar would give you a slight edge, but you have to lay that shit out straight. IMO i think a flat white wall is the BEST way to go. just less hassle.

Aluminium foil, creates hots stops, which burn the plant. It is not a good option.

Evil :bongin:

6. In my rig (sig) I have an interior while appliance material. I bought the mylar but before I put it up I borrowed a light meter from a friend and found that with my LED and CFLS the white was identical to the mylar in reflectivity. Can't speak for HIDs.

7. Flat white works fine. Also, easy and cheap.

Wet

8. They are close, flat bright white paint is around 85% reflective while mylar is abuot 92%. And when talking about mylar, that's horticulture-grade mylar, made for light reflectivity, comes on a roll. Forget emergency space blankets and such.

Aluminum foil is less than either flat bright white or mylar so don't use it.