Mylar VS Alumnium Foil

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by TechBoyCash, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Hi.. im new to growing.. want to say that im a fast learner if i had the proper teachings.. but all i have is forums and youtube videos..

Anyway i started a bagseed grow for my first indoor grow.. i did not use mylar i used foil... i can see the light reflecting.. my question is do Mylar really make that big of difference..

for my second grow im going with autoflower.. Mi5 and Nirviana short rider.. will i get better results with mylar or can i go with the foil again..

short on cash so hopefully the foil works!:smoke:

2. foil creates hot spots that burn your plants, but i have never used it so i am not speaking from experience. mylar reflects a way higher percentage of light though than aluminum foil. Theres a really good thread - i think its called getting the most from your lights, might be in the lighting thread. Good luck!

3. Use mylar; the foil can create hotspots as it crinkles & a fire hazard if your using HID lites or lites that get hot.

4. Actually just read the sticky in this forum - its called "getting the most from your lights" explains everything you need to know about the effectiveness of different material.

5. If you cant afford mylar atm, then paint the walls flat white. Both are more effective and safer than foil for reasons above. Flat white paint will reflect quite a bit of light.

6. you can use foil just paint it flat white once its up

7. Does this have a benefit over just painting the walls white?

8. no .. other then if you're renting, you can peel it off the walls leaving no evidence.

9. evidence free is the way to be ;)

10. I like that :) that is a good idea if you are in a crunch. Wood may be a little easier to paint and move as a whole panel but most anything works. Growing isnt rocket science, but the better the conditions the better the out come

11. Foil does not create hot spots, that's a myth. It just isn't very reflective of light, that's all. It's made to reflect heat. Flat bright white is better, and mylar even better. By mylar we mean horticulture-grade, comes on a roll with a mirror finish.

12. Toasty for the win

13. And to think I just thought you were being a smart ass. :D

14. were are some stores that carry it... i looked at menards and nothing. home depot has reflectix does that work the same?

15. No disrespect but you just said it doesn't create hot spots but it's made to reflect heat. Sort of contradictory sounding, but I think I know what you mean. Foil will burn plants in a hot grow room, but not because it makes hot "spots". It just heats the whole room up evenly and will certainly create more heat problems than you already may have.

16. Greners.com

17. thing is i need it asap... like tmrw in morning

18. It won't kill your plants to have no reflective surfaces for a few days while it's shipping, but you'd probably be ok with foil for that long if you really want something up.

19. #19 arn1016, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2011
    hehe thanks though i found my new favorite place to shop!! HELLLL YEAH!!

Minneapolis MN Hydroponics Grow Lights Organic Gardening and its close

edit.. rather use nothing then foil as for temp reasons.. but i can stop by the place tmrw when the open they have everything i could want or need almost for growing. does mylar affect temps in a grow box? and if so how much compared to foil just for comparison.

20. Another problem with foil according to jorge cervantes book is that it reflects more infrared and uv rays than mylar or paint do which is a stress on the plant. foil is 70% reflective while mylar is 90-95%. i dont have the book on me but i believe flat white paint was 80-85%. also if u dont get the mylar or foil completely flat u lose light that is being bounced in direction away from plant! i am using mylar right now but plan on going with titanium white artist paint for the next.