mylar question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by xxcrashxx, Oct 19, 2009.

1. so ive heard that its always best to use mylar to line the walls in your grow room... im using a cabinet thats 4' tall, and 26" wide, and 16" deep. it will be relatively small. ive seen some ppl say to use mylar, or use some flat white paint. i found a site that has reflective mylar. would that work just as good??? heres the site Mylar Roll 55in x 25ft

my local home depots and lowes dont sell mylar at all. if the mylar from the site above isnt good enough, could someone provide me a link where i can get the right kind of mylar.. thnx

2. go to wal mart and get an emergency blanket in the camping section. its about 3 bucks and pretty good size. i believe they are made of mylar themselves.

3. Serach ebay for the keywords Hydroponics and Mylar. You can litrially buy it in any width/length and thickness.

Most of my mates either use 4mm mylar, or "panda film" which is white on one side, and black on the other. I use tinfoil, so satillites cant scan my cupboard (left over tinfoil is used for hats)

4. flat white paint ftw. Reflects nearly as much (within a percent or two) of perfectly applied Mylar, and it reflects considerably more than imperfectly applied Mylar (wrinkles, etc). Its also a breeze to clean and can help ensure a well-sealed room (where Mylar really can't). And its cheaper than Mylar. I'm not even really sure why people choose Mylar over flat white paint ever.

5. hard to paint the inside of plastic or tents.

6. Tinfoil actually obsorbs light and heat, you're actually drawing more attention to your grow that way.

7. I keep reading that here but I've yet to find any. Could someone post a pic of what the packaging looks like? :D

8. spray paint would be as effective as a can and a brush, right??

cuz homedepot and lowes has a can of flat white paint for like 98 cents for the cheap crap. but that paint works good tho.

9. Flat white paint is flat white paint -- regardless of application method :)

10. if your using a plastic tub like a rubber maid container just sand the inside of the plastic and it seems to help the paint stick better. and to back up a previous reply ive also heard to use flat white as the wrinkles in mylar or tinfoil significantly decrease the reflection.