Mylar question?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by knoxis, Jun 16, 2008.

1. I bought a roll of mylar 48" wide and 25' long. I have cut pieces for the walls on the inside of my cabinet, I hung one piece with a few pieces of duct tape but Im not sure, it seems to ripple a bit. any ideas? is that the proper way to hang my lar with a piece of tape in each corner? thanks in advance...

2. I hang mine with staples. I staple each corner tight first and then put anywhere from 4-6 more on each side to keep it from rippling so much. hope it helps.

3. I hang it with thumbtacks, but I put a small piece of duct-tape behind the mylar where the tack will go through. This helps so I can stretch it tight without ripping the mylar.

4. Hey, yeah that stuff can be a bit hard to work with. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and spent much time trying to get it right. I've found a great method thats easy and you get a mirror like image. Forget the duct tape it doesn't work, get some 3m carpet tape. Its sticky on both sides and lasts. First cut some small strips and put them on the wall you want to cover. Do this on all 4 edges. I use about 5" pieces and have about 6" gaps between the pieces. Now that there all on the wall peel back the corners of each piece of tape at the bottom of it. This is just so you can to the sticky part easier. You don't want to take them all off right away or the mylar will stick to it. The very top row you want to remove the backing on all the tape. Its actually a good idea to have tape all along the top. There shouldn't be a piece of tape for about 6" after the top row on the edges though. Now take your cut piece of mylar and line it up nicely on the top row of tape. Once the mylar hits that tape its hard to take it off so try hard the first time to get it right. Now that it's hanging remove one backing from the tape at a time alternating from side to side. If you go from side to side keeping it tight it should go on perfect and stay there. Hope all that makes sense. :smoking:

5. I gave this a try and if you take your time and make sure the Mylar doesn't hit the adhesive until you are ready this works great! Screw doublesided tape, duct tape, and spray adhesives. My cab in the early stages looks like it is lined with mirrors now. + rep! :cool:

6. Hey ghostgrower, glad it worked for you, if you used the right tape it will stay like a mirror. Also you want to leave the backing on the tape when its on the wall, just peel back the bottom corners so you can get them off quick when you want them off. This way the mylar won't be sticking to the tape, just the area your working on.