Mylar. A lot of it for a little bit!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by illie with a W, Nov 16, 2012.

1. [quote name='"Nerd139"']What I really wanted to do was get an autoflower plant but my silent partner said he was going to ask his dealer about seeds so im waiting to see what he says. I know people sya the minimum is 10,000 lumens but im hoping the mylar and the fact that I can open my closet when im home and letting the light shine on the plant will be enough. The lights will give me about 6400 lumens if they are accurate about the specifications.

As for the odor im almost welcoming it. I love the smell of bud and itd be great for it to fill my bedroom.[/quote]

Sounds good I guess. I just know the more the better as far as lights you know.
    The Mylar won't help at all as far as adding to the lumens. Just means you be getter a better percentage of lumens from the lights as some of it will be reflected back. This from what I've read..
    And can't say about the true smell yet..just gotta make sure no one else smells it lol.
    It is still illegal you know

Sent from my iPad using GC Forum

2. I know it doesn't add to it, but it goes back to what I was saying about not wasting anything. Since I didn't have the minimum everyone was saying I needed I really wanted the mylar. Dude, for the smell hardly anyone from the office comes into my place. If im really worried ill close my bedroom door and closet door and spray Febreze. Mix weed smell with roses.

3. [​IMG]

I used the same exact same kinds of organic amendments last year for my first grow. They all worked very well. Buds burned pure white when smoked.

4. Nice AE, thanks for the info. I'm gonna feed the Kelp,EWCs, and Bat Guano via Aerated tea.
    This chick on here named InTheGarden has a REALLY good soil thread that I read thru for a while to begin to understand how organic soil works. Also other forums and books, but mainly her info is what I used. What sold me is the water only part of the equation:cool:

5. #25 Scars, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
    Go get you some Alfalfa bro. You won't regret it.

My soil mix was complicated in the beginning but it all worked out. Here is what I used last year:

-1 bag Roots
    -1 bag FFOF
    -1 bag Light Warrior
    -1 bag Roots Earthworm Casting
    -1 bag perlite
    -4 cups of agricultural lime
    -1 oz. Rhizosphere Inoculant
    -3.5 oz. Mycos Spores
    -2 cups Alfalfa Meal
    -2 cups Kelp Meal
    -2 cups Green Sand
    -2 cups total guano
    • 1/2 cup Mexican BG
    • 1/2 cup Jamacian BG
    • 1/2 cup Indonesian BG
    • 1/2 cup Peruvian SBG

[​IMG]

And this is what I used to determine what amendments to use:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Organics kick ass dude!

6. That soil mix looks TOP NOTCH based on all that I've learned so far.
    The mixing of the worm castings, FFOF, Roots Organic, and Light Warrior alone are genius! Then amending it is like seasoning your graavy :cool:
    Nice man. I'm not too sure about Rhyzo inoculate and the spores tho. Haven't heard of them until now..What are they?

And you put a few more $$$ into your soil mixes and amendments than I have.
    I'll get some Alfalfa asap. Been reading a lot about it, but I figured I was good with what I have. But since it's so highly recommended...I'll grab some of course. As far as the soil, I just went with FFOF and amended because the smallest bags I can buy locally of any of the soils are like 50lbs. Beats me as to why..but yeahhh

I appreciate the info bro! Anything I can help you out with I will:cool:
    #Follow my grow journal. Just started germing an hour ago

7. Well, that soil mix was nice but expensive as hell. I have learned so much after my first year of growing and probably would have used straight (cheap) compost instead of the fancy bagged soil. It's apparently all about microbial life. ;)

Checking out your grow now.

8. "It's apparently all about microbial life." <-That's what I got from it!
    That and just diversity in the soil. If I had the space I'd shoot for a BIG mix too.
    Unfortunately I don't tho.

And cheers for following along. Could use your input I'M SURE:cool:

It's time for me to :smoking: tho

9. Happy Danksgiving everyone

10. Likewise Senor:cool:

Danksgiving should be everyday:hello:

11. haha yes! so do you almost have it all set up? babies soon?

12. Yessuh!:cool:

I germed all about 24hours via wet paper towel and they ALL had taproots showing, so I threw them in about approx 1/2 soil each, all in grow bags.

Now I'm waiting for the to break ground!

Hey BTW, that Mylar is good for blocking light too. I took a couple pieces of it and put it over the window inside my grow room...Not the actual closet, but the room itself..
    I took two of them and taped them up to seal any light leaks...
    Walked turned ALL my lights on, even the light in the room and walked outside...
    NOT A TRACE of anything goin on! Just pull your blinds down, closed them and duct tape the mylar up.

13. Thought I should also ass that these "cheap" Mylar blankets thy I'm talking about are pretty hard to tear as well. I've been putting on and peeling all duct tape and whatever the brown tape I have is, and I've yet to rip it.

14. Just orded another 10pk of the Mylar blankets from Amazon! They work good enough that I've gone back for seconds!:cool:

15. haha are you gonna put some on your bed? thats a lot!

16. Lol nah, my damn 8" duct fan it LOUD! I'm gonna have get a bit of that sound absorbed so I bought a $10 mattress pad from Wally world to put up in places.
    Rather than taking everything down, I'll just cover some of it up so create a thicker effect..I also need to set up one more area in the house as a flowering room! I'm gunning for somewhat of a perpetual harvest..Once a month or month and a half would be AWESOME!

But I don't think you could have too much of this stuff man! It's cheap! And it blocks light in or out! And I can see myself in it, so I know it's doing it's job reflecting:cool:

I ordered it two days ago and it's in my city! Loving that Amazon Prime!

17. My my my, look it all that Mylar!

Just got another box for the second space.
    Pics show the box of 10 which I got for about $8. And one of the actual Mylar blankets laid out. You get 10x that for like $8.

#finesmoking

Attached Files:

18. Someone asked what I might do with some of the extra Mylar...

Well I did kinda need a door for the closet, seeing how my ventilation keeps me from closing it..
    So I got a stick in zipper and went to work!

#finesmoking

Attached Files:

19. Yeahhh buddy. Thanks for that find. I was just about to go buy a short roll at Home Depot for like twenty bucks. Was just wondering how the reflections affected your temperature?

20. Hmm..thought I replied already but guess not..

BUT I'm running CFLs for this setup, and A LOT of them!
    But I'm running only 10 CFLs then I'll add another 10 in a week, and then another 12 at about week 3-4.

But as of now with the 10CFLs and the oscillating fan, the heat is an afterthought.
    Temp hasn't even crossed my mind and it's been a week lad

#finesmoking