Mycorrhizal Fungi; Myths and Truths

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Microbeman, Jan 11, 2012.

1. thats 20 spores more than RTI offers. AND it has more of a variety doesnt it ?

2. BioAg is the real deal. This is a company owned by 2 scientists. Their Pure Humic Acid (PHA) and liquid Fulvic acid is without par, IMHO

California & Oregon do not allow the term 'Fulvic acid' to appear on a label so that's why I sent you to the California-Oregon sub-page. Their Ful-Power is Fulvic acid.

Here's the why on this ruling.........Properties of Humic Substances

3. dude. this stuff is sooo beyond me. I need a tutor in chem. Lucky for me i havent even started my core classes and I'm gonna get my associates in Bio and my B.A in Horticulture =)

4. nah i havent decided where Im going to transfer... Humboldt..maybe Oregon ...? is UC Davis a good school for that as well ?

5. I made my own mix here with screened sphagnum peatmosss as a carrier and straight Glomus Intraradices at about 250 spores/g. I'm thinking I can sell it at a very affordable price but I need to see what hoops I might need to jump though first. I'm working on a number of little items to be helpful and perhaps butter my bread somewhat.

6. That would be an amazing product to bring to the marketplace......

7. Both UC Davis and Oregon State University have Horticulture Schools which have both graduate and post-graduate programs.

Oregon State & UC Davis also have USDA ARS (Agriculture Research Station) which were set-up decades ago to provide support to agriculture schools around the country. So one in Kansas would center their research work on wheat and other crops grown in that state. Same with another state.

Since California and Oregon are the 2 largest producers of nursery stock, saplings, etc., USDA also set up ARS horticulture research stations in addition to the straight agriculture stations.

In fact the ARS at OSU is where a lot of research on mycorrhizae(l) fungi has been studied as it applies to container-grown plants specifically. For the most part it has been a disaster for reasons having nothing to do with the fungi strains used - it was the love this industry has for high levels of Phosphoric acid - it's insane.

Ask MM about hi-dosing with this acid......

UC Davis is a stellar school and a degree from them will open doors. Once you have a degree from that school then you'd want to move to Oregon and get an education.

CQ

8. That's awesome ! Ill go to Davis then. I'm serious about this sh*t. I want to do big things... like Dr.Ingham and various others I've seen you guys cite. Oregon after you say. ?

And MM would you please elaborate to the high dosing of this acid he's talking about. ?

9. #110 ComfreyQuery, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
    That was a poor joke about getting a degree in California and then getting a real education in Oregon - regional bitch-slapping.

You should read what we say about the agriculture 'school' at the University of Washington Puyallup - aka Cow-Poly Community College and much worse. I used the term university only because it's part of the official title. I nor anyone else has ever seen proof that it's even accredited.

Even the beauty college in Aberdeen, Washington has their state certificate posted outside the ladies room.

CQ

10. Wait, I'm confused. Which school isn't accredited ?

11. Go to UC Davis and you'll be fine. I'm thinking you'd find Corvallis a bit over the top - to say the least

12. CQ or MM

Any insight on some decent schools around MA or RI?

I know Harvard but ha screw that student loan.

I have read good things about Cape Cod Community and University of Rhode Island.

13. mm, what do you think of this stuff. I am big into sourcing local and they are within twenty minutes. Their EWCs and Kelp are top quality stuff.

14. Some points; They use ectomycorrhizal which is non-symbiotic with cannabis (annuals)
    They do not (that I could see) state the spore density
    There is no such thing as a soluble spore
    Do you actually purchase through Amazon?
    One plus is there is no trichoderma in the mix

Have not LD and others pointed out that kelp concentrates/extracts are perhaps not as good as plain old kelpmeal?

Perhaps Seandawg or Jerry or Chunk could address this.

15. #116 Microbeman, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2012
    Thank you Chunk

16. The box has the amounts listed actually, I am unsure why their site does not. They are used by two groups in our county, pot growers and the organic/biodynamic grape growers (grapes = 72% of our ag land, 60,000 acres). Would the grapes use the ectomycorrhizal? I don't use Amazon, there is a a plethora of choices near me and I try to keep as much of my money in county as I can.

17. So what are the amounts? I'll bet that intraradices leads the pack, indicating that they are sourced from Quebec.

Earlier in the thread I outline the species mycorrhizal with cannabis (current knowledge)

A brief search revealed that Glomus fasciculatus, Sclerocystis sinuosa, Glomus macrocarpus, Glomus Intraradices Gigaspora rosea are all endomycorrhizal with grapes. Perhaps there are more. They are apparently not ectomycorrhizal.

If fairly large scale grape growers are purchasing mycorrhizal inoculant (spores) from this company, barring me not knowing something, it would appear that they are ignorant of the facts and/or someone has sold them a good line.

If I were a grape grower I'd use glomus intraradices, at least from my limited knowledge.

One case in point, the same company sells 'fresh tea in a box' which as far as I understand claims to offer a compost tea instantly mixed with water. I cannot see how protozoa could survive in this environment for very long. This makes me suspicious of their other products.

The reason why I asked about Amazon is that is where the click here to buy button took me.

18. Here is the label.

The grape biz is quite an interesting one. There are a huge number of wineries making excellent batches of fully organic vineyard designate wines, these vineyards capture that elusive terrior. These vineyards are sometimes as small as a single acre (plus a huge market of rich people with even smaller vineyards on property) making 150 bottles a year or Rob Sinkey and his 200+ acres of grape on a fully biodynamic farm. There are a multitude of markets to reach out to on all levels for a company, grape and weed are commonly grown side by side here anyways, I can see where one would crossmarket.

I truely have valued the time I spent wandering these vineyards as much as any other farm I have been lucky enough to roam around, the life on the farm isn't just the grape grown but the wild mustard, grasses and clover grown between the rows, the foxes and owls fostered for pest management, the whole farm from soil to glass and plate. These are the people who inspire me in what I eat and drink and now with a little help from you all, smoke. I think perhaps by just calling them vineyards I sell them short, they are farms that happen to focus on grapes.

Attached Files:

19. I'm surprised that there is 29% Humic Acid mixed with the mycorrhizae.

J