Mycorrhizal Fungi; Myths and Truths

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Microbeman, Jan 11, 2012.

1. ha! big belly laugh reps to anyone here who starts and documents use of fire as a management technique in their smart pots ::hello: a whole new use for those powerful butane lighters :rolleyes: first cover crops, now controlled(?) burns... where will this cannabis gardening go next :bongin::

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Myco = mycorrhizal. And I thought this was a positives and negative thread but it's really a truth and myths.

3. Okay good. Some people use Myco to refer to a brand name. You've got the gist of the thread. Most of the info is in the first post.

4. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some marketing genius (cough) does just that. They use big propane burners pulled by tractors for use of fire in weed suppression. Just get a trick propane torch lighter, slap an Extreme Organics label on it and market it as pesticide free weed control and soil fungus stimulant. :D

5. Got anymore good info Wee or Microbeman?

I'm really into the whole mycorrhizal and bacteria,, It's makes some good ACT Compost tea ;)

Still got me alot of learning to do :smoke:

6. Read this thread, especially MM's first post through. Do it two or three times and read all the links provided by MM. Go to microbeorganics.com and read that. 3 times. Be sure to read Teaming With Microbes.

• Like Like x 1

7. I have heard lots of good things with that book. I will have to get it ;)

Peace :smoke:

8. I was looking under a patch of fungal hyphae near the surface of one of my bonsai mom's pots the other day

[​IMG]

when lo and behold out crawled some badass looking brown creatures. They looked almost like they had cilia on their backs, and also snouts in the front like a beetle, but arthropod looking legs like a mite. There were also some clear soil mites about half their size under the patch. I had no idea my herd was getting thick with such creatures. The soil in that pot has been pretty stable for about a year. The plant (this particular one is a Deadhead OG from Cali Connections) has been pretty healthy for the last six months. Anyone have any idea what these brown dudes actually are? :confused_2: I think this is around 40x.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Those look like weevils to me, although I'm no bug expert. Look up the bug factory in BC Canada and send them the photo.

10. wow such a great load of information. thank you for contributing this valuable information so freely.

11. MM,

Thank you for sharing the wealth of knowledge here, that must have taken you years to compile.

Pure gold.

Boro

12. [quote name='"Borophyl"']MM,

Thank you for sharing the wealth of knowledge here, that must have taken you years to compile.

Pure gold.

Boro[/quote]

Pretty sure that is mm's profession. Or part of it anyway. :)

13. there's an article in this month's "dope" mag which deals with this issue mostly the myths side of it:

"Mighty Micorrhizae: by J G

with plants of such a specific set of biological parameters, how can we cut corners to increase efficiency and yield, while still producing clean and potent medicine?

Not bud rot. Not mold. talkin bout biological controls like those for pests; your own fungal nutrient force! Micorrhiza is a massive army of microorganisms that live and thrive naturally on the root systems and in the rhizosphere of plants, trees, and even cannabis! problem is your soil doesnt have them. Not yet at least.

Mycorrhizae are found in undepleted and uncompacted soils of a natural forest understory. this is certainly very different from the soil that was turned over so many times when seattle became the amazing little big city that it is today. most of the soil that our houses have been built on and around is dead and depleted justa few inches below the surface. the organic soils and soil less mixes you've been planting your cannabis in are probably considered "clean" or essentially dead of any living biological material. soil makers do this to control all the organisms in the bag you buy. they remove the bad organisms, but in doing so, they actually end up removing the good organisms too, which leaves your plants reliant on you alone to provide them with what they need to grow.

It's a lot of work caring for cannabis. luckily the lighting is automated, but food and water? these systems are expensive and so are the material solutions that go with them. Macronutrients are easily taken in by the plants vascular tissues, but whate about those oh-so-essential micronutrients such as copper, boron, iron, molybdenum, and zinc? these heavy metal nutrients are Ph specific and without the correct soil PH it doesnt matter if theyre in the pot (no pun intended), they wont be going any where and wont be used for anything.

this is where mycorrhizal fungi come in. these microorganisms live on the root structures of our plants symbiotically. the fungi gain access to the sugar and carbohydrate energy that our plants have created and stored in their root system. Meanwhile, our plants benefit from the fungal colonies' ability to assist in essential nutrient absorption, especially with regards to phosphorous. These organisms are made mostly of water making a mycorrhizal colony like a moist sponge that perfectly and permanently reduced your watering responsibility. as if the aforementioned weren't enough, this crew also helps establish a strong defense for your plants from any negative root ailments. sounds good right?

as you are potting your rooted clones, whether you grow hydroponically or in some kind of medium, simply apply the fungi product according to the recommended directions and you've inoculated your soil with beneficial fungus! if your plants are already potted, there are products that can be added to an already established rhizosphere. always be sure to follow the recommended use instructions and purchase from a reputable source.

"remember we want the good microbes not the bad" with the addition of mycorrhizae to your grow, the vigor and vitality of your garden will be significantly improved. the efficiency of nutrient uptake will result in a reduced amount of expensive chemicals being washed away in your flush, which means there will ultimately be fewer nutrients to purchase. In addition, the reduction of heavy metals in your soil will lead to a cleaner, smoother smoke and a more potent medicine.

The popularity of mycorrhizae products will continue to grow as producers, big and small, wake up to the idea of beefing up their soil with biological controls. So I encourage your to seek out medicine grown in this way you won't be disappointed."

14. I've read much worse. At least they say to apply to the roots.

15. Is that a recent article by any chance?

16. MM

A text editor that I use has a tag-line that you might find appropriate for commenting on articles such as this - It doesn’t suck

Pretty cool outfit actually......

17. #97 hope2toke, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2012
    I've probably written worse myself. I found most the article confusion. However, the part about seattle soil being dead because houses were built and the soil was turned, it's just plan obviously wrong! not to nit-pik the author's points but a trip around the city including grade school natural observations could put that issue to rest. :eek: if the finger should be pointed at some one for abusing the soil it should be so called "landscapers" and "lawn care professionals" that are hired by many business locations to spray the topsoil routinely with many toxins, don't blame the construction crews.

It appears to be recent, yes. :)

18. where is a place i can source the glomus intraradices ? Tried calling premier tech but I dont think Im gonna be able to put in an order big enough for them to sell to me. I dont want to buy mykos, i want the good stuff that has a lot of spores.