Mycorrhizal Fungi; Myths and Truths

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Microbeman, Jan 11, 2012.

1. #41 hope2toke, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
    I like the OP, information. it has a lot of good detail I've seen after re-reading.

2. #42 Marapa, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
    MM,
    it'll take me awhile to get through the links you posted at the start of this thread, so please forgive me if the answer to this question is already in there somewhere.

Is it possible for a non-expert to identify different varieties of endomycos (and to distinguish them from ectos- ) in soil or tea samples at 100-400x? in other words is there an easy to use (for amateurs) dichotomous key or other index with good pics on the web? if so, any advice on slide preparation, especially with soil samples from plant pots...where to sample from in a pot (surface? just below surface? clip some fibrous roots? do you need visible mycelia to have a chance of keying the hyphae with a normal student type scope)?

thanks for the excellent info. :hello:

PS: I posted a couple pics of what I think to be fungal mycelia and a hypha in my grow journal here ... assuming it's not all that easy if possible at all for a non-expert to id species based just on a pic like this, I would really appreciate it if anyone in this thread can tell me what it actually is...

3. I looked at the photo and I am not sure that it is hyphae. If you notice at the right end it appears twisted and possible fibrous, indicative of some sort of plant tissue. It could be that you just need a better sample. Fungal species are generally identified by observing spore/conidia shape and size. [or DNA or agar]
    Here is a link to some photos, including fungal hyphae which I took; http://microbeorganics.com/microbeidentifypart1.pdf

I am not yet educated and practiced enough in observing endomycorrhizae microscopically to be handing out direction. Here is a link to a section of a website which has some photos. The website overall is very good. Endomycorrhizal fungi is determined by the connection with the root/plant cell and I believed Identified by spore size and shape. [or DNA or agar]
    The Fifth Kingdom - pictorial supplement to chapter 17 - Mycorrhizas

4. OK--that helps a lot, just to know the spores are important in ID. I'll check those links, and meanwhile, spores from the same formation, at 40x

[​IMG]

and then zoomed in a little

[​IMG]

thanks for checking the pic and again for this excellent thread...

Attached Files:

5. Nice shots!

6. if your going to be using florescents you should check out Indcution lights, essentially a high output diodless florescent that uses electromagnetism to power the completely sealed tube. They are WAYYYY more efficient then even HO florescents and last WAYYYY longer, the initial cost is a bit high, but well worth it since the lumen depreciation is only around %10 at 60, 000 hours and the lamps life is 100, 000 hours, 96% PAR rating and closest light to mimicing full spectrum sun light, but we "see" it as a white light, i can find other then the Blue Eye Super Blue 400 watt or 1000 watt hortilux super blue, (blue eye is essentially the exact same thing but cheaper and it only comes in a 400) www.inda-gro.com

7. #47 Cryptlord9999, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012

LOL, i have compared, a 400 watt induction vs 400 watt metal halide, the induction light was much better in my opinion, both for quality and quantity. Also T12's are the LEAST efficient florescent LOL try T5's if your going to use florescents they are the most bang for your buck if you must use florescents, you obviously seem to think you know more then you do about lighting. I also recommended its use instead of your florescent because induction lighting is a lot better then florescent lighting. Most HID lights only have a PAR of roughly %50 (according to Wikipedia) obviously brand, bulb type, wattage and age are factors, the induction lighting has a 95-98% PAR (accroding to Wikipedia), you also have to get the right brand of induction light so its actually a high quality light. High output induction lights can put out up to 90 lumens per watt, only 10% lumen depreciation at 60, 000 hours and much more environmentally friendly then the other indoor lighting because induction lights last WAYYY longer and use less mercury then other bulbs. Its also the fullest spectrum ive found other then the Super Blue Metal Halide bulbs by Hortilux, they are comparable in spectrum or the Eye Blue 400 Watt Super Blue is also comparable in spectrum.

• Like Like x 1
  8. #49 Cryptlord9999, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012

lol had you read the previous comments perhaps youd comprehend the reason, if u did read the previous comments and still cant comprehend the reason perhaps you should take a course in the English language and reading comprehension.

disrespect has no place here in the city.
    respect is a must

Slinger

9. Yes you silly person, if you understood English you would know that this had been stated;

.....blablabla

which everyone who understands English, knows has everything to do with a discussion on mycorrhizal fungi. :cry:

10. 'sigh' if you read the comment i quoted in my comment Weedroid refers to using Florescents to grow his cover crop, hence the reason i commented recommending induction lighting.

11. No worries; What is good for the goose...that's all...just foolin around

12. I found Microbman's office.

Attached Files:

13. That seems plausible, some how i imagined it to be cleaner tho lol:p

14. Not me, I'm thinking lots of petri dishes lying around, with microscopes and dissecting tools....some fuzzy growth on the desktop....and a giant hookah.;)

15. MM

This is from our good friend 'JK' over 'there' - quite a read and check out the dates of this work.

Heh....

LD

16. I'm a gonna need a shot of vodka before reading that! :eek:

17. [quote name='"LumperDawgz2"']MM

This is from our good friend 'JK' over 'there' - quite a read and check out the dates of this work.

Heh....

LD[/quote]

Just a glance and im stoked! This is exactly what ive been looking for.

18. Pretty accurate minus the hookah