mycorrhizae

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by comeoriginal740, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I have a bag of Fox Farm Light Warrior that has been bone dry for about a month. Is it possible that the mycorrhizae are dead?

2. Dormant, not dead. Add some high quality ewc's and/or make a tea and that aspect will be well covered. I would also recommend a bit of high quality compost.

3. The myco's in your Light Warrior are spores. Once they are moistened and come in contact with roots, they will begin to form an association with your plant.

chunk

4. Just to be super pedantic and to make MM happy. Mycorrhizae is the name for when the fungal element forms a symbiotic relationship with the roots of any plant. So calling the spores mycorrhizae spores is perhaps not entirely scientifically correct.

Not a big deal for those of us here perhaps, but may be a bit of an issue for those doing any research.

I wish my memory would serve me better in coming up with the actual name of the fungi prior to their root colonization.

5. #5 comeoriginal740, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
    Excuse my ignorance but what are ewcs? As for the compost will that make a big difference? Im only usind the soil to start my girls in party cups then transplant into ffof, happy frog or roots organic.

Awwesome, time to bring this dirt to life! Thanks!

Rather shallow and pedantic?

6. you ask for clarification and then go on to call me shallow and pedantic?

okay then.

7. EWC= EarthWorm Castings

The spores of mycorrhizae are still mycorrhizae. They are the first form the mycorrhizae takes in its lifetime.

8. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctf260qnDeU]Family Guy-Shallow and Pedantic - YouTube[/ame] check it out and youll undestand haha.

9. funny ....

ewc is earth worm castings ....

hows that for shallow? ;)

10. More like accurate and insightful.

You're welcome!!

LD

11. #11 WeeDroid, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
    I don't believe that is correct. Can you cite a source please?

Here is mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycorrhizae

The spores, I believe, are fungal. Mycorrhiza, as stated above, is the symbiotic relationship between the root and the fungus. Ergo there is no Mycorrhiza spores per say, just fungal spores that go on to form a Mycorrhiza relatiosnhip with the roots.

How was that for pedantic?! :D

12. 'Terrance, this is stupid stuff'

Simple question that was answered in WD's 1st reply.

Then a boatload of silly semantics and back and forth that don't add squat, just WTF?

Wet