Mycorrhizae?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Kannabliss, May 14, 2009.

1. The dude at the hydro store claim that this shit is the shit. I know that alot of the stuff that they pitch at you is hyped up snake oil but this guy said that if I grow a plant without it and compare the results to the rest of the garden grown with mycorrhizae and don't like the results that he'd buy it back. Anyone here use it? I know that it's already in the Pro Mix BX/HP that I use.

2. Hmmm... well if he is so confident that he will refund you, (running a business, btw) I am sure it will work. Sorry that I can't realy help you out by giving you an answer (don't grow hydro).

But like you aid, it's already in your current mix.

I would ask the hydro store guy which is better between what you are using and that Mycorrhizae stuff. If he recommends the other stuff, then wouldn't hurt, no??

But be damn sure to get a refund if it don't work out :p

3. Why, whats wrong with hydro?

4. Nothing. Why what's the problem??

I said I can't help the OP because I don't grow hydro...

What was the point of your post? It has nothing to do with mycorrhizae, sounds like you're trying to call me out.

5. What are Mychorizae?
    Mycorrhizae are symbiotic associations that form between the roots of most plant species and fungi. This symbiotic relationship is characterized by the equitable movement of sugars to the fungus and inorganic nutrients fixed by the fungi move into the plant, thereby providing a critical linkage between the plant root and soil. The fungal hyphae take up nutrients from soil solution and transport them to the root. By this mechanism, mycorrhizae increase the effective absorptive surface area of the plant. In nutrient-poor or moisture-deficient soils, nutrients taken up by the extramatrical hyphae (hyphea existing within soil matrix) can lead to improved plant growth and reproduction. As a result, mycorrhizal plants are often more competitive and better able to tolerate environmental stresses than nonmycorrhizal plants.

Simply put.......you feed the soil, and the mychorizae in the soil feeds the plant. The guys that are organic growers, construct soils that are rich in living/organic materials such as humus, composts (worm casts, manures, composted bark, bat guano etc.) They then add different meals for fertilizers (bone, blood, fish meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal etc.) Some even add granular or soluble mychorizae. You can also get the mychorizae to colonize by making a worm cast tea, and applying it to the soil and foliar spraying the plants. Once the mychorizae is established, you really only need to water your plants with a TBSP of molasses to continue to "Feed The Soil", which in turn feeds the plant.

There is a great book that explains this "Mychorizal" relationship in depth. It is called:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0881927775/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link"][​IMG][/ame]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Calling you out, is your head cut?
    I assumed you advised the OP to not do hydro, as in your comment (don't do hydro), it wasn't (I don't do hydro).
    Get a grip will you!

7. How is that confusing? Sure he probably did not need the parentheses but his parentheses inside the same sentences must be the reason to why he made the statement he did.

To the OP. This stuff wont necessarily harm anything so you can not go wrong with it and if you decide to buy it there would be no reason to return it. This is why the guy gave you the guarantee.

8. I have used these on other plants and they do help especially if you soil has none like most grow mixes orpoor outdoor soils, but if you have them in your soil there would be no need to get more.

I have ordered some to add when I plant outside because in my experence they are worth the money, they esencialy add to the size of your root system.

9. Well put, a lot of the additives out there with micro nutrient do no harm to your plant. Making you think that when you do have a good harvest, it was down to the additives, but really it was down to your growing conditions.

10. If you were to have asked this question a different way, the poster above you may not have got offended. I actually though the same as you until the poster explained that he didnt grow in hydro.

11. #11 Chunk, May 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2009
    To be honest guys and girls........putting mycorhizae in a hydro grow is probably a waste of time. When your reservoir is at proper temp and the tds is dialed in, with good quality water, your nutrients will just about "mainline" up the plant for proper nourishment. Mycorhizae really kicks some serious ass when used with substandard or depleted soils, as well as top of the line soils. It provides the link that allows the plant to utilize the nutrients that are provided by the grower to the utmost.

You can use it when growing in hydro, but in my experience, the results are negligible. The mycorrhizae will colonize in the root zone in a hydroponic environment, but if you have maximized all the other key components (water quality,temp, Ph, quality nutes, and ppm.....) you should have explosive growth without the addition of the micorhizae.

A sidenote.....to maximize the effects of micorhizae (I'm getting tired of spelling this out:cool:) use a worm tea in conjunction with it.

12. One word"AACT"...

Great book too.

These microbes will support soil when in sufficient numbers(dunno about them so much in hydro)to support plant life very well.

BUT,remember any non organic (and some organic stuff too)can kill the micro herd when added to the medium.

Using Mychorrhizae to support an organic grow is IMO the best(not easiest)but even a small amount of chem. pH up or down can kill off most of the good guys you worked for.

The microbe growing is really a 100% organic way to grow from what i gather,adding microbes and expecting them to flourish with chemicals wont work well at all.

Organic nutes and microbes have a good chance but adding non organic stuff just kills the team.;)

13. Great explanation sir!!

The biggest part/dif in growing with AACT/microbes/organic VS other types inc hydro is yield VS flavor/smoothness,organic will yield less but with a much higher quality nearly every time while chem grows especially hydro will have huge yields with substanard quality compaired to all organic.

BTW +rep chunk!!(shit it wont let me!!)

14. Just got this book a few weeks ago, with what i have learned all ready i felt i had no choice but to inoculate my soil with mychorizae!! I felt terrible for the plant/soil life i had neglected to care for. my soil was good all ready but like any gardener i wanted better and i knew the inoculant would speed up the process. i did lots of research to find a good inoculant and it turned out ther is a company in my town that distributes mychorizae inoculant and slow release fertalizers that keep a well balanced inviroment for the plants/soil alike. I have never had happier plants in my life!! BTW im using with my veggie garden and i have a side by side trial with the canibis going to see how it works out.. RTI: Plant Health with advanced nutrients contaning mycorrhiza fungi <----- this is the shit!!!!!

15. Myco is definitely for real. Professionally I am essentially a business consultant, and I had a project a few years ago for an agriculture company that involved myco. I had access to some major scientific info and studies (not MJ related), and man this stuff is important. In fact, plants could not evolve to live on dry land until they had established the symbiotic relationship with mycorrhizal fungi, which helped make the roots strong enough for the plants to stand up under their own weight. Over 90% of out-of-water plants today still rely on that symbiotic relationship.

Your grow will develop a microecosystem in the soil even if you don't use a myco additive, but with an additive you can jump-start and ensure the presence of multiple beneficial species.

16. sorry if im awakening a REALLY old post but did some search and this was the best post for this topic

wat species of fungi did you/can you use for this? i know the saprophites fungi break down decompossing material, would soil fall into this category or is that only manure?

ive found some mushrooms that seem to have a symbiotic relationship with these trees in my backyard, they always pot out of the same spot. how can i get these into soil containers to start the root/plan bond?

17. Your looking for endo mycorrhizae. Ecto Mycorrhizae can not associate with the roots of marijuana, not even a little. Yet most mycorrhizal products in the hydro industry have them in their products. They do that to make their labels look good. Also Ecto mycorrhizae has a really high spore count, so you see numbers in the millions. Its millions of useless organisims.

Giant Vege growers use mycorrhizae. The product they use that produces the best results has no ecto at all.

This site sells the products most often used by giant vege growers:

About Us

Another reason not to buy hydro mycorrhizae products is they arn't consistant in how potent they are. At times they have nothing!

Hydro.gif

18. Mychorrhizae are the shit in soil growing. I don't know about hydro, but in vegetable gardens and even ornamental plants in landscapes they produce unbelievable results. I use it often in outdoor plantings of all types with FANTASTIC results.

Can't tell you about its usfulness in MJ gardening, but I do know it's found in the root systems of nearly all plants naturally, and it's certianly benificial.

19. so the stuff this thread is talking about has no connection to mushroom fungus at all? is it in a group of its own? or am i really confused.. is it mycelium that never has a fruiting body?

20. Now there's a kilo of pure gardening delight!^^^^^^