Mycorhizzae fungi

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jakrustle, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Looked up some products online and wanted to know if you guys have used any of these:

OGM Products Rooters Mycorrhizae
    Great White
    Roots Organics Oregonism
    Biologicals Guardian My Powder

I want to order something I can put into my organic mix for my pots. If you have any ideas about these or any others you might have used let me know.

JaK

2. Jak,

I've never used the above mycorrhizae products, but I can tell you that a good buy is:

[​IMG] Beneficial fungi blended with soluble humic acids VAM & Activator: Humic, Fulvic and BENEFICIAL FUNGI all in one. For easy application of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal (VAM) fungi and Trichoderma Hazinarium, resulting in superior plant and root growth. Humic substances and the beneficial trace elements provide food for the mycorrhizae, which in turn enhance the activity and size of the root system. Use in a variety of applications including dry broadcast for turf and farms or add to liquid for hydroponic, irrigation, and hand-watering applications. Use for seed treatments, clones/cuttings, and fortification after making compost tea.

For prices and sizes click the Buy Now link and you will be redirected to the order cart.

Site

This is the same company that makes the humic/fulvic products that LD and I use. You can also get the ENDO formula from MycoApply.
    If you shop right, you can get a pound for about ten bucks.

HTH

chunk

3. Chunk, thanks for the info. Through the research I have done on the myco's, I found that only trees needed the ecto? A lot of what I am seeing online is a combo of endo/ecto. I wondered if getting a myco fungi with the ecto was a waste or were there some of those fungi beneficial to MJ roots as well.

Also, I was curious as to know what specific fungi had the best symbiotic relationship with MJ rooting systems. I see some plants are quite specific. However, the scientific research I found did not specify anything on MJ, of course, or tomatoes.

One thing I am sure of now, though, is your reference to a recommended product. Thanks for that.

JaK

4. The product that Chunk linked to only contains endomycorr strains and the specific ones are listed at the site. There has been little research on endo because the hard press is to get the science on the ecto strains to advance reforestation projects around the world.

Having said that it would be highly unlikely that there are cannabis-specific strains but anything is possible I suppose.

There's a reason that you're finding so many ecto strains in products being offered and that's because it's far easier to harvest these fungi vs. growing out the higher quality endo strains - far easier and therefore they're less expensive.

Then again it looks really cool on the label to have a plethora of geeky names but the fact is that 80% (or more) of those listed strains won't do diddly-squat for softwoods and in particular annuals.

Fungi on trees in ancient forests have been found as long as 20 miles in the Cascades in the Pacific Northwest. Plus some worms that grow over 3' in length.

You're best option is to go with Chunks' advice but keep in mind that repeated applications are worthless and a total and complete waste of money. If you want humic acid or fulvic acid then buy that from the same site, i.e. don't use the VAM Activator as your humic acid source.

HTH

LD

5. Lumper, though so much of what I am learning on here has to do with getting a good harvest, the articles and info you have been recommending is making me feel pretty good about the organic push for help in farming, gardening and now from what you say, for reforestation. This gives me hope for a future of no more chemical laden watersheds destroying our streams, lakes, rivers, bays and oceans. I can only hope that the push gets bigger and stronger.

One thing for sure is it can't get going unless individually we do what we can to help. I think that's why I love learning all this stuff the most. This will be my part. I really do respect you and the others on here for the lifestyle of organics you are fostering.

Thanks again for your assistance.

JaK

6. LD, I see that they have the Cytoplus (which you have mentioned before), which has 38% Humic Acid and 9% Fulvic Acid. Along with the VAM, do you feel that they will provide the beneficial elements I am looking for. The Cyoto plus seemed the one more oriented towards container (potting) usage rather than agricultural.

I thought the Ful Power product may have more Fulvic Acid in it, but the Tech Sheet did not say anything about fulvic acid, but only the presence of Humic Acid.

JaK

7. jakrustle

RE: Humic and Fulvic Acid is a must read if you are looking for answers on these acids. Bottom line is that pure humic acid (cold extracted using an alkaloid process) contains high levels of fulvic acid as nature intended.

Check out the 'fulvic acid' of Leonardite sometime - the fake humic acid product found in every grow store product claiming this as an ingredient.

Heh....................

The CytoPlus uses the Acadian Seaplants, Ltd. (ASL) Seaweed Extract which is available here from KIS Compost Tea Brewers. This is the specific product used in concoctions found in health food stores and high-end pet stores.

I would recommend buying the BioAg TM-7 product and using it as directed on the label and to that mix you would add the correct amount of the seaweed extract. The product from ASL is the finest available anywhere in the world and is the standard product used in horticulture research.

I'll repeat this one more time - using the BioAg VAM Activator as a humic acid source is a waste of money. Seriously. One application when the cuttings are rooted and you're done. Finished. Complete. Finis. It's ovah! Stuff like that.

LD

8. #8 jakrustle, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2010
    ld, thanks for the clarification. The Kis site has some great info on humus/humates and their benefits.

JaK