Mycchorizal fungi

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Dionaea, May 30, 2011.

1. As a botany student at university, I have been taught ( as you can imagine) a lot of interesting techniques that are often used in the culture of other plants ( let it be horticulture, floriculture etc). One of the techniques often used is adding mycchorizal fungi. To the people than don't know what they are, they are soil fungi that bind on the whole of the root system, expanding sometimes up to 10x the size of the root system, and establishing a symbiotic nature with the host plant. While the plant helps this fungi by keeping it alive, in return, the mycchorizal fungi leech up nutrients and give them to the plant. In itself this kind of symbiotic nature is extremely common in plants ( one most not forget that the main way that plants take up Nitrogen is through Rhizobium bacteria on the root - those reddish galls we often find on roots). Has anybody here have any experience with this kind of growing? It seems like a smart idea, potting your plants into big pots of soil, knowingly that it is going to have a very big root system underneath to leech up all the nutrients. BTW this technique is very often used in a lot of plant cultures ( wheat, tomatoes etc...)

2. I wouldn't call it a "technique", but you are right that myco is extremely beneficial to virtually all plants. It was this symbiotic relationship that in fact allowed plants to develop root systems strong enough to come up out of the water and live on dry land in the first place, in effect allowing the evolution of all land-based life.

Many experienced MJ growers inoculate their soil mix with a myco product. I've been doing it for years. You can blend it into the soil mix at the start of the grow and/or you can water it in. It will help your plants thrive in soil no matter what growing approach you are using.

3. yea I def see the advantage of using Myco in my grow. It's important to note thought that cannabis preforms better with the endo types of myco and not the ecto.

I use Bio-Ag VAM Endo-mix and it's working great...don't even need to use alot.

Toasty do you water your myco into your soil or mix? Do you prefer one over the other?

4. I mix it in, since I'm already getting dirty plus I would prefer to get the inoculant spread thoroughly and started from day 1. Then if I have any leftover I will water it in perhaps 4 weeks later.

5. Which myco product do you use toasty?

I found a couple on HTG's site and was wondering what you thought might be the best.

Humboldt Nutrients Myco Madness Soluble

They also have a granular version, which is cheaper. Why do you think this is?

Humboldt Nutrients Myco Maximum Granular

Here is Roots Organic's version. It is cheaper obviously and I am currently trying out their Greenfields soil as well.

Roots Organic Oregonism XL

Is there anyway to get the myco naturally? Or would I have to find a product like one of these in order to incorporate it with my grow?

6. I've used the Humboldt Myco Madness before, and also some blends carried by a local gardening center near me (not a hydro store but actual gardening center).

You will get some naturally since the spores are everywhere, so some will already be in your soil base and some will settle in from the air. But probably not enough and not necessarily the best colonies for MJ so good to supplement with an inoculant.

7. yeah, i believe it needs to be periodically re-applied.

8. Thank you.

9. Anyone got any info on Great White Shark?

Thumbs up or down?

I was thinking of trying a soil grow just as an excuse to see if it is any good...

10. Great White
    Plant Sucess
    Oregonism XL

all spores are sourced from FungiPerfecti.com

If your gonna go that route just order a 100 gram package from fungiperfecti.com

I use Bio-Ag and their top notch products...Their Vam + activator has not done me wrong in my current grow.

11. I'm going to be trying the Oregonism XL for the first two weeks of flowering during this grow and will use it throughout my next one... we'll see what happens.

12. i use Mykos from extreme gardening and get awesome results. its only a couple bucks for a small package of it or $12/ lb $21/2.2 lbs $161/21 lbs. i think they also sell them in little packets that you can put in a hydro rez but ive never used those

13. Try plantsthatproduce.com and take a look at their mycchorizal products...i think its like 80 for a 25 lb bag...under 10 for a lb jar. This is a starting point to look at prices of other nutes they carry and compare to the "name" brand nutes prices...absolutely ridiculous. :gc_rocks:

14. I started using the "Subculture X" from GH and it seems to work very well.

15. Plus 1 on both of those.

You can pay more, but not get better quality than from those 2 places.

Wet