My....

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by windchime159, Nov 29, 2010.

1. if you think about the word 'my' and when we use it you start to think alot

we can say thats my money , my house , my weed . the item is separated from us , we are the "my"

so what is this 'my' what are we?..... what about what we are? My body , my arm , my heart , my brain?

so our physical organs are not who we are???

what about the mind? well... my mind... my memories , my personality

still we see that my can be used so by all logic we have to assume that we are more then the item my is being applied to....

so where does this leave us... nothing that we know of that makes us up as people mental or physical is in fact truly who we are

so that has me at one or two conclusions , either there is something about our inner nature that we are unaware of and dont know about that "is" what we are....... or....... that every single thing that you can possibly apply 'my' to is who we are , and if you understand that possession is an illusion and the entire universe is your oyster , then we simply are... Everything

or maybe those two choices are the same thing?...

2. In the film, What Dreams May Come, Cuba Gooding Jr. had a few lines that touched lightly on this subject. If you haven't seen this movie, you might want to check it out. It gives one a whole new perspective of the hell we create for ourselves.

3. iv seen it i thought it was really amazing

i think it actually kinda represented what the afterlife will be like in a few ways .... just in Hollywood style

4. Mi casa es su casa.

5. You're talking about one of the biggest concepts in buddhism. There are the five aggregates, the things that form all of human existence. They are form, feeling, perception, mental fabrications, and consciousness. None of these are self. There is no answer to "is there a self" that is satisfactory. There is no permanent, unchanging self, of that we can be sure. All that exists is in a state of flux, constantly changing due to changing causes and conditions. All things are impermanent. All things are interconnected.

6. i know it was a buddhist concept , i read about it a long time ago but when i did they were but words on paper but all of this came to me during meditation , it took time for the seed of that idea to grow and produce buds , and this concept is some dank shit i tell you what

i think behind this is the realization of god , we truly are one with everything

7. God is a trivial concept. It's all semantics. One persons definition of god is different from another. If there were two people who believed what you believe, one may call himself an atheist another may say he believes in god. It's irrelevent. And there is no separation AT AN ULTIMATE LEVEL. There is conventional truth and ultimate truth. This interconnectedness and non-separation is ultimate.

Always think of the implications of this. People who just start to understand it usually don't see all the implications. Just meditate on it, consider it when discussing philosophical sorts of things. You're off to a good start. Here's one thing I think you should understand. The ultimate truth, that which you're starting to see, is indescribable. Any words to describe it are inaccurate. In your attempts, understand that there are inaccuracies. You may not see them yet. You may think that you've figured it all out, so to speak. I'm not saying you have, but it's possible. As your understanding grows, you'll start realizing that everything that you say is inaccurate at an ultimate level. I got so frustrated when I got to that point, because I found myself unable to express myself properly. Now i've come to terms with it. Very few people are able to see the inaccuracies in some of the more profound statements anyways, so I don't need to worry about it. The reason you can't describe the ultimate truth is because, by putting it to words, you're separating it from the words/concepts you didn't use. THERE IS NO SEPARATION, ultimately. By separating it, saying this is and others aren't, automatically you know you can't be speaking the ultimate truth.

8. thank you for the words of advise and the encouragement and i feel like iv already gone through all that , i spent so long trying to figure things out in a logical way thinking i can solve the mysteries of life with worded facts but they never live up to it.

a written out concept of any truth is like a painting of a beautiful landscape , you might be able to represent all the aspects or the general basic look of the landscape but you will NEVER be able to capture the complex and unimaginable beauty of the land itself

those who speak do not know , those who know do not speak - Tao Te Ching

even though its really not possible to describe these things i enjoy posting them and maybe someone may read it and not really get it yet and in time that seed will grow in their own minds and they will see it

9. I was thinking about posting that "those who don't know" quote in my post but decided against it :D And I know what you mean about talking about it to help others. I do it to help others and for personal enjoyment. The reason I figured this stuff out in the first place is cuz I enjoy thinking about it, and it hasn't went away, even if i've learned of the insufficiency of words. And I love helping people with these things. My two favorite things in this world are learning and teaching.

As far as the figuring it out logically, that's exactly how I did it. My first initial breakthrough totally changed my perspective on the world. I had this epiphany, and then I started having more and more, and I realized I had to get it all down, so I started typing it. Everything I typed I needed to clarify and add to, and I wrote like 30,000 words in a day. It was unbelievable. It was my awakening, of sorts. Unfortunately, it led to a mental breakdown, as I was discovering the ultimate truth without having a foundation in conventional truth. Sparing the details, I ended up in a mental health crisis unit. I got out, got into buddism, and my knowledge has been increasing ever since.

10. that's an amazing story and im glad you found peace in it all

im a strong believer in reincarnation and i feel like when we learn things in the past they stay with us and when we read or hear or feel something that sparks that bit of knowledge it rushes back to us , it might come out in little bits but sometimes it can be like when dam breaks and the water rushes out like in your case maybe. either way much of the knowlege is with us already we need only to let it out.

and i feel like i used my words wrong ,you can understand things with logic , logic when helped by intuition is often the best way to discover these kind of things. the problem is taking the logic and wording it with human made languages and symbols

11. #11 TheJourney, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2010
    I recommend you read the diamond sutra. It's free online. The translation I read was at diamond-sutra.com Yes it's buddhist and idk if you're a buddhist or not but the thing is that buddhism isn't like the western concept of religion. It's more about things that anyone can figure out for themselves, rather than following a book or anything like that. The mahayana sutras are all about emptiness and the interconnectedness of all things. The diamond sutra is the single greatest thing I ever read, totally helped me to open my mind. Most people have a hard time accepting and understanding, but you're off to a good start and you must be open-minded and I think you may be ready for it. The buddha states in it that it is rare to understand it, but certain rare people will just intuitively know it's true, because of work we have done in past lives as you mentioned. That's what it was like when I read it. I just knew it was true. It was so obvious.

12. thank you for giving me that to read , im always trying to find bits of knowledge anywhere i can

hard filtering all the truth from the internet BS

13. not a problem. Let me know what you think!

14. no words

15. so you liked it huh? :D I guess i'll take this opportunity to reread it. I'll post any thoughts I have on it, and you can do the same if you want or any questions.

16. i dont know what even happened i was just reading it and at chapter 13 it just took me , tears actually came to my eyes and i havnt had that happen since my first time reading the tao te ching

im just sitting here now

its so had to wrap my mind around though but its there , its just there

17. I guess what I think is most worth talking about, and I encourage you to research for yourself, is dependent origination. The idea of existence or non-existence, self or no-self, is silly. This is because we think of existence and self in terms of existing by their own power. Independent, inherent existence. There is no such thing. All things exist only in dependence of it's causes, it's parts, and it's observance. If a person existed of it's own accord how could there be such drastic changes to him? Outside factors couldn't change him. However, outside factors do change him. This is because he is dependent on other factors, and therefore there is no inherent independent existence to be found.

Ultimately all things are dependent on eachother. There is no inherent, independent existence. Only dependence.

18. its just so beautiful when you take away the words and just let it be

19. It really is. You should find it has a profoundly positive impact on your life, too. My understanding of these concepts has made me so much better of a person.

20. im still not sure as to what words to say

all are just fingers pointing to the moon