My Xbox has the red ring of death

Discussion in 'General' started by illinisbII, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Once it gets a red ring on start up does that mean its busted?? its red and flashy.

Im pretty pissed but i saw this coming, im most likely going to buy a new one and swap hard drives and swap consoles and tell walmart the one i bought was broken to get my $$ back...

cuz i think its lame as hell something that costs 400$ only lasts a year before you gotta spend another 400$...

and im not about to pay shipping and wait 2 months for microsoft to repair it...

2. My friend got his back within a week of him sending it in.

Send it in.

3. Soo... you'd rather pay $400 for a new one, than spend a far less amount of money on shipping and just have to wait for awhile in order to avoid paying $400?

$400 for immediate satisfaction :confused:

4. no, I believe he is going to return his broken one.. so in short, he gets a brand new xbox for free... i used to do it all the time with my xbox.

5. no no im saying spend the 400$ on a new one. swap the hard drives and return my broken one and get my $$ back

This is actually my 2nd 360, the first one i bought froze all the time and I took it back no problem...so its not like they never hear about broken xbox's

6. Do you know how much it cost him to ship it??

7. No sorry, but priority shipping is a flat rate.. around 5 bucks.

8. My friend just swapped his at the store for a new one, and it's totally worth getting it fixed if you have a warranty.

9. just stick with your idea, ive done it plenty of times.. and you get a brand new 360 out of the deal.

and shipping a 360 across country will cost you around 20$

10. 20 dollars if you insure it, and why insure it when you're sending it to the company to have it replaced?

11. My friend just sent his in and Microsoft sent him a box and the shipping was free. Have to love to know that the company is aware that it's still manufacturing faulty products. Yet everyone just accepts the fact that they can ship theirs in and get a REFURBISHED box. Crock of shit, I tell you. Paying $400 then getting a used piece of shit 2 months later that will never work. What's going to happen after the 3 month span. Or 3 years, whatever - after that, we can't send them in anymore. And we'll just still have our old piece-of-shity used system that Microsoft sent us. Fuck them. Bill Gates has monopolized America enough the way it is with his fucking Windows bull shit.

I do own a 360 though.

12. according to a youtube video, if it has a red light while the A/C power cord has a green light, then its straight broken and shipping it in wont do any good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7sW6VSHlCQ&feature=related

kid says w/o warrenty itll be 169$ canadian to fix plus 35$ shipping. but if your box was around a certain date it will be fixed for free, I just looked and i guess my box was made the week where i could get it fixed for free

The video sounded pretty straight forward...

Id recommend anyone with a 360 to atleast play thru the clip once...because the red light will happen to you!!

13. Wow..........:eek:

14. I am...I dont even want to deal with shady microsoft. I think the whole swapping and returning thing is pretty sketchy...but so is releasing thousands of faulty 400$ pieces of equipment!!!

and shipping it in just to get a refurbished box to me sounds like a act of desperation...especially throwin down $$ to send it in and stuff...

Thanks for the replies tho, got the red lights randomly and didnt know what to do

15. it they check serial numbers your gonna be fucked out of 400$

call the xbox hotline and they send you a box, you put your consloe in there, they fix it and send it back to you in 3 weeks, they dont charge you for anything and they pay for shipping

16. We got the red ring of death and CC replaced it with a brand new one right at the store. It is worth having it fixed and just renting one if you can't live without it for awhile. Of course if you rather just spend $400, you can send the old one to me and I'll fix it. LOL

Good Luck

17. i just got mine back today, took about a MONTH between them sending me the box, sending it back, and them sending it back again.

just a refurb'd xbox i believe, ahh back to halo in 1080p!

18. Trade it in, then get a PS3. Better technology, never brakes.

19. Dude when that happened to mine I just called the xbox hotline. They asked me what was wrong and verified the serial number. Then i recieved a prepaid box in the mail to send it in, and a brand new 360 was at my door in two weeks. No cost at all.

Great customer service team

20. This is my 2nd box ill be returning. the first one would freeze on me right out of the box and i took it back, they never checked serial numbers then. Walmart has the most lienent exhange policy in the world. If they check the serial numbers ill just try returning to a ghetto walmart the next day. They dont think about checking serial numbers in the ghetto. :bongin:

I would be spending the 400$ only to swap the boxes and take the broken one back and get my 400$ back. 0$.

A months wait...im not looking to put up with any of that jive..and i dont want to have the same issues with a refurbished box

trade in a broken xbox?? for what like 50$???, even a nonbroken box id get like 120$ on a trade. I already have a shit ton of xbox games and accessories, my brother had a ps3 and was very unhappy with that as well. He traded it for a Wii. He got 220$ for it on trade. so it was basically a flat trade a 500$ ps3 for a Wii...

thanks for advice though people. much appreciated