my wood chillum construction instructions

Discussion in 'Smoking Pipes, Glass Spoon Pipes' started by wasabi-kun, Oct 20, 2011.

1. wasnt sure if this would be apprentice section or toking tools so its in both. the picture is in the other thread because it wont let me post it in this one;

http://forum.grasscity.com/apprentice-tokers/928712-wood-chillum-construction.html

how to construct wooden smoking pieces
    -wasabi-kun

i've seen quite a few homemade toking tools, so i figured the first thing i could do after a 1 1/2 year t break (wasn't my idea, and god was it nice to smoke again) would be to show how to make a smoking utensil without tin foils or plastic. so on with the instructions... (i have a pdf of how to make bongs, its quite nice, if you want it pm me and i can email it to you)

what you need:
    -drill, cordless corded, doesn't matter
    -piece of wood, make sure the grain is straight up and down, it will effect how the wood splits
    -knife or wood carving chisels, sharp be careful
    -drill bits; the size of the bit decides your bowl size
    -sand paper, if you don't want it to have angles on the outside. or you could shave it done with a knife

[the dots are the picture numbers]

fig. 1 - you will need a rectangular prism shaper piece of hard wood, soft wood is easier to work with but hard wood i think is better, so it is your choice. (the rectangular prism should have four rectangle sides and 2 square sides for this)
    you will be working the square side with this

fig. 2 - drill your bowl, mind your depth because that is how deep your bowl will be

fig. 3 - split it down the middle, can be done by placing the knife blade in the middle (the line in the picture) and lightly tap the spine so the blade goes into the piece of wood, and the you can increase the force until you have split the piece.

*you can sand the inside of the pieces smooth and flat if you want. you can also shape of the bottom of the bowl now too*

fig. 4 - now you can carve a small tunnel from the bowl (be careful you don't want to mess up here and have to start over)
    after a cm or so from the bowl you can widen the tunnel from there on if you want. it'll make a smoother hit if you do (if your adventurous you can make the tunnel a wavy shape) *be sure mirror it on both sides for the tunnel, but you don't have to mirror the small tunnel from the bowl. it'll just make a smaller hole in the bottom of your boll

last step for a basic piece is to put the back together again, (and shave the corners and what not, i do) you can use glue. i don't; i use a little honey to join the pieces and the wrap 3/4 of the handle with hemp. makes for a nice handle.

if you want a nice round outside that is symmetrical piece you can put the two joined piece into the part of the drill where the bits go (no clue what it's called) and loop a strip of sand paper around it and use the drill to spin it as a sort of diy lathe. be careful it'll get hot if you do it to fast.

==second half of picture==

this piece can have 2 different sized bowls (1 will be smoke out of at a time and the other as a mouth piece) or 1 size bowl and a mouth piece

what you need:

-piece of dowel, hardwood or soft
    -saw, serrated knife, or buy a pack of saws all blades (you can cut through metal, wood, plastic, all kinds of stuff and you don't even need the saw part just the blade)
    -drill and bits, will need about 4 or 5
    -sand paper
    -sharp knife always comes in handy

1. drill your 2 bowls or bowl and mouth piece, mind your depth

1.5. drill to small hole in the bottom of your bowl for the smoke to travel from the bowl into the main smoke tunnel, make it about 1cm or so

2. cut your dowel in about half

3. on the non drilled sides drill with a larger bit down to the small smoke tunnel. mind your depth so you don't drill into the bowl. you can check if the two tunnels have met by inserting a toothpick of something into the hole in the bowl and seeing if it goes through. f it has you can stop the drilling, if not drill a little bit farther, go a little bit at a time

4. now one piece needs to have more of the tunnel drilled out to a larger diameter like in the picture. i use a drill bit about 1.5 time larger than the bit we just used. make make the larger diameter area about and inch or so in length.

5. now you need to reduce about an inch or the other piece like in the picture. i carve it done mostly with the knife and get it to the final width with sand paper. you will want it slightly snug. but not real tight. you can glue it together, or use honey like with the previous piece. your you could leave it as is so it could be taken apart.

now some people don't like wood piece because they say it gets all charred and what not, but you can fix that by (sometimes. but it should probable be done before your first bowl if you do this. it'll act as a barrier and insulator for the bowl) putting a very thin layer of honey or agave nectar .etc down on the bowl and the rim of the bowl. you can use a a q tip or a small paint brush and the cover that with some tiny pieces of herb (who doesn't have a ton of that stuff at the bottom of the stash box/bag) then you can smoke a small bowl, the a another layer of honey and small piece of herb and then smoke another bowl. you should be good from there. as you smoke more and more you will resinate the bottom of the bowl and you wont ever have to worry about the wood burning.

i'll try to answer any questions you post but you should be good

i have the instructions as a pdf too, pm for it too.

sorry that theres no real pics, no camera and with my new fone i would have to pay for a data plan to email it to myself