My wild soil is pretty hard, too hard for roots?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Taaz, May 26, 2009.

1. Hello, I am using wild soil for my plant. I do have access to quality growing soil, though I didn't when I first planted.
    My soil seems to get pretty hard on top, to where it would break apart in chunks if I were to force it or put my finger inside. When I squeeze the sides of my pot, it cracks like a fissure.

Any concerns and suggestions?

Thanks!

2. If the plant is still young, i'd now rinse that soil off the roots before transplanting to quality soil. Thats what i'd do!

3. I would feel safer doing a transplant, though if necessary, I'd exchange the soil completely. Here is a reply from toastybiz in another thread of mine:
    Do you figure this would be sufficient, as the roots would begin to expand into the new soil after making it through the old, bad soil? My current pot is a 24oz cottage cheese container, and you can see the current progress / age of my plant in my signature's Grow Journal link.

Thanks! I'd rep you if I could, but I haven't rep'd enough other people yet =\

4. Toasty explained how to transplant.

Toastys Quote:
    Just do a standard transplant to a bigger pot with the new soil:

- Make a hole in the new soil the size and shape of the pot the plant is in now
    - Take the pot its in now, squeeze the sides so the soil doesn't stick
    - Put one hand over the top of the pot with your fingers straddling the stem of the plant and your other hand on the bottom of the pot
    - In one motion flip it over, you may need to spank it gently on the bottom, and the whole soil clump should slide out.
    - You could gently poke the sides of the soil clump to loosen some off, but don't try to take the sprout out of the soil or you could tear the roots
    Wash the shitty clay from the roots, by placing the root ball in a basin of water and gently removing as much clay as possible.
    - Put this in the hole in the new soil, water thoroughly
    - The roots will grow through the old, bad soil into the new, good soil

If the (outdoor) soil is as bad as you say, i'd do what i highlighted above (in toastys quote). By doing this you could also be removing any insects or bad bacteria from the roots.

5. Ok, sounds good. I'll give it a try & see what happens.

Thanks!

6. This wont do you plant any harm, the plant will only have a bit of transplant shock, but will recover in a few days.