My wife wants her addict sister to move in with us

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr.Greenbuds, Jul 23, 2009.

1. My wife's younger sister is a drug addict and will be getting out of jail in a couple months. My wife and I definately do not see eye-to-eye on the subject of her sister and her problems, which btw go much deeper than just her drug addiction. Her sister is by all accounts extremely ADHD, suffers from depression, low self esteam, has no life skills and is easily set-off when she is exposed to any type of stressful situation etc etc... She has never been to a psychiatrist and has never been given the chance to work these core problems out (her father does not believe in such things... he's a total control freak and thinks he can keep her off drugs by watching over her and keeping her away from people who are a bad influence and is a huge enabler). Over the past 5 years (the amount of time we have been married) I have been exposed to numerous AA meetings, family fights, taken calls from her sister while in jail, etc etc and the way in which they are trying to "save" her sister has really started to wear me down. I come more from a tough love family than an enabling one. Part of her problem is that her father has spoiled both girls rotten their entire lives and he thinks that we should all work together as a "team" to help her, what he doesn't understand (because he refuses to help by not helping) is that the only person that can help her sister is her own self. Sorry for the rant btw.... So about an hour ago my wife is on the phone with her dad and he is already planning a family trip (which I have opted out of) for the week her sister gets out of jail and then I hear my wife tell her dad that she hopes her sister thinks about what she suggested (that she move out to CA and live with us!!!!!!:eek: I was like "are you f'n nuts????!!!".......... I'm sorry, call me mean and unsensitive but there is no way that is going to happen and if it does I'm out the door, at least until her sister is gone. Any of you out there ever been in a boat like this???????????? Please help, my sanity and marriage may depend on it!:(

2. don't know never been in your situation. Don't move out though over it that would be dumb risking your marriage.

3. Even if it is blood, I'd feel sketch letting her sister into the house, too. Your wife definately isn't helping, and if it comes down to it, I'd take action. But be careful, this could have serious backlash.

I have a few questions, though: what kind of drugs was she addicted to? I take it the house is under both you and your wife's name?

4. I suggest buying a safe for cash and jewelry, anything of substantial value can be put in your LOCKED room.
    If you are letting her stay with you, this is not an overreaction at all. Let it be known that you dont trust her.

5. Tell her fuck that shit wither just smoke some grass with me or no drugs at all, any of your addict shit fuck you, you're out of this hizzouse!

tell that bitch what's up you know what im sayin. well i would say that if I was high, but to even talk to family weirdos i gotta be high, and if she laid off the drugs and just got high with me yo it would be chill and tight bonding shit ya know.

6. if your growing in your house, dont let the bitch in, if you aren't put some pillows in the hall closet and tell that bitch not to leave her room.

7. Sounds like you need to need to open up a bit. There was a Greek unspoken law of the gods called Xenia... Or hospitality. In essence, good things happen to the hospitable. Bad things to the inhospitable. Maybe jail straightened her ass up. I know people who came out of jail and are now giving and productive members of society.

Give it a try for a month or two, if she is constantly disrespecting the rules of your house, or sitting in your chair, then maybe she needs to be kicked to the curb.

Good luck with your situation.

8. lol paranoia, if you actually care for your wife, you`ll eventually come to realising that your acting dumb, its her sister, what if your brother wanted to move in and she had a problem with him, regardless if he was a drug addict or not..

iunno man im tired

9. and shit maybe one night you`ll get lucky .

10. Lmao.

11. try not to look at it as helping your sister-in-law, but supporting your wife"s decision. your s-i-l sounds like she needs professional help, but if your wife thinks moving in may help, let her know you don't agree with the decision but you will give it a shot. make sure you and your wife sit down and set some rules or guidelines for her sisters behavior, and agree if they are broken, then it's time for her to move on. good luck man

12. Everything, but mostly heroine, meth and pharmaceuticals like oxycontin, and she is not just a sad case with an addiction. She has stolen from her parents, strong armed robbed purses from a couple elderly women, robbed a couple pharmacy's, and was planning a bank robbery with her now dead ex-boyfriend (the police found a duffle bag with guns and maps/floorplans of a Bank of America in his room where he OD'd). This chick is BAD news. The house unfortunately is in my wife and her fathers name, (he put down a large portion of the downpayment). This whole thing will be a time bomb if it happens. My entire lifestyle will have to change as well.... I own firearms, I'm also currently growing (legally) a couple plants that will be a week or two away from finishing their flowering, I have a pretty decent coin collection my father left me, I would have to make my entire house addict proof. She is basically at the end of the line, and hasn't made any strides in getting better. I know this sounds graphic (sorry) but the last thing I want is to come home and find her ________ (fill in the blank).

13. Funny you sould mention that, my younger brother is an alcoholic and did want to move in some years ago... guess what? I didn't let him......

14. TRUTH, if shes good looking just bring her in put it in pull it out and kick her our.:D

15. kneeling over a dead horse with one of your guns in her hand, shoving your coin collection up it's ass while snorting a line off the dead horses dick?

16. haha... I don't know why but that is hilarious.

17. Geeeez.... not exactly where I was going with that but scary all the same!:D

18. dude. buy the safe, talk with ur wife set rules n make sure u guys are eye to eye, i understand how u feel i wouldnt want no feeind in my house while im not there specially if shes my wifes sis because worst comes to worst u really cant do anything about it... Im telling u a trip to bj'z buy the safe.. let it be known she isnt trusted dude.

19. I'd only let her if she vows to quit doing all drugs. Also if she does. Get a safe or hide important belongings and be smart about not leaving your wallet on the table or anything like that. Good luck man. I honestly hope it doesn't happen to you because that would suck!

20. Buy a safe, put anything of value in it, ANYTHING. Even if it could only be pawned off for 20 bucks, lock it down. If you don't want to lose it, lock it down somehow. My mom is a drug addict but she doesn't live with us, and shit has gone missing the times she's visited me before. Drug addiction is more powerful than love, and if love can save us all, then drug addiction can kill us all even easier.