My views on the Constitution...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NuclearGuru, May 27, 2010.

1. You obviously don't know what neoliberalism is. Neoliberalism is basically capitalism to the extreme. American liberals are usually opposed to unregulated capitalism therefore your point it moot.

• Like Like x 1

2. Uh, why don't you respond to the post addressing you and your bizarre fear of the Constitution?

I'll argue semantics with you once you do that. :)

3. ^Seriously... amend it...

Feel free to revise, remove, and add anything you want.

Then, call your representatives and share with them your modern more intelligent ideas. Good luck. :)

4. It is only natural to think a 223 year old piece of paper is outdated and should be replaced with something more modern. Sorry to break your bubble but the founding fathers weren't chosen by a higher power, contrary to what Glenn Beck may have told you.

5. #25 Perpetual Burn, May 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2010
    For the third time...

What do you propose we do about it?

Should Congress decide we are no longer a Constitutional Republic? What authority is Congress without the Constitution? Or can we keep a Constitution but just revise it to fit modern ideologies? If so, what would you put in the new Constitution?

This is the Constitutionalists' challenge... prove what is outdated and wrong about it by amending it.

6. [​IMG]

7. I'll throw a couple things out that I'd like to see change:
    1.) Remove Corporate inclusion in the 13th Amendment, redefine a person as a human being of flesh and blood
    2.) I'd like DNA Testing and Finger Prints included under the fifth amendment. Currently these things are accepted because you technically "Abandon" them at the scene of a crime as if you discarded a weapon. This also applies to BAC tests or Breathalyzers, there's no reason why parts of my body should be used against me.
    3.) The Fourth Amendment is my favorite, I would like to see it become even more strict in it's protections. This is to address changing technology. IR Camera's, etc can see into your home and can be used without warrant. It least it used to be this way. I want this to become illegal.
    4.) 12 - Fuck the Electoral College. I'd like to see a Game Theory system put in place instead.

It's a small start but I'd like to see these changes made.

• Like Like x 1

8. Basically so far your argument is "it's old" and "omgzzz!!! Glenn Beck". What the fuck is your point, exactly??

9. Hey bud how about answering the question everyone is asking:

What SPECIFIC part of the constitution do you think should be changed or eliminated or whatever?

If it's the whole thing could be state an example from the constitution as to why it is irrelevant to today?

10. I like all these ideas, especially the importance of the 4th Amendment, but I am not so sure about the Electoral College. What exactly would this Game Theory system look like?

BTW, NuclearGuru, these are actual views on the Constitution (as compared to saying it's really old.) This is why it is important... because we have a finite starting point and can make tangible changes. So far, you haven't proposed anything that would be of any help to this country.

11. Sounds interesting, how would this work?

12. It's not an original thought.

A friend was telling me about and somehow convinved me lol.

Basically whoever received the most support wins.
    Approval voting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like Obama, You like McCain we both vote that way but we both also check that we prefer Mike Gravel over the other guy, well Mike Gravel is now ahead after the 2 of us vote.

13. Ahh, being able to vote for multiple candidates. That is a good idea, but it would not necessarily call for the end of the Electoral College, they could just cast multiple votes aswell.

That would probably give us a President with a higher initial approval rating and would certainly help to break up the two party monopoly... which is probably why it will never happen.

14. Yea too bad we never got Franklin D. Roosevelt's 2nd Bill of Rights:
    Opportunity
    • The right to a useful and remunerative job…
    • The right to a good education.
    • The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies…
    Security
    • The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment.
    • The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health.
    • The right of every family to a decent home.
    • The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation.

15. Thank goodness the only amendment ever passed because of FDR was Presidential term limits.

16. /thread. You win

17. Those are exactly what I think we need. America would be a much better place if that had passed. It is fairly modern and up to date to the problems of the modern age.

I am not proposing to get rid of the Constitution, only to revise it to fit the modern era.

18. #38 MountyBounty, May 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010

Haha The "rights" in the modern era. All your so called rights depends on another individuals labor.

I demand the right of someone wiping my ass for me.

Edit: Nuclearguru, I doubt you would volunteer to give me my natural rights of a clean ass wipe. So why would anyone work for free for your shit?

19. Jesus Christ, guys, nobody's saying we should scrap the Bill of Rights.

But there's a lot more to the Constitution than the Bill of Rights. Yes, the BoR is important and still very relevant today, so yes, let's keep it.

But shit, times change and I think it's silly that we should expect one system of government to just work forever. I think it should be alright to say that it could use an overhaul without people jumping all over you claiming you want to take their precious rights.

20. When people say overhaul they pretty much want to eliminate the rights of the individual so they don't have to work. Everybody who knowingly supports a violent system of positive rights is probably a lazy good for nothing free loader with an inflated sense of entitlement; see: Karl Marx.