My very first SOG

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by KloverfieldsSOG, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Hello all!
    I know this is a repeat thread somewhere...but I've spent hours reading forums and threads, only to find most answers I need not being directly answered and then members talking trash to the person asking a question. So try and be patient, and thanks in advance for being the helpful conisours that you are!

I've got a 4 x 2.5 x 5 grow tent.

I've never grown hydroponically, but after exhausting research, I think coco coir and perlite at 60-40 % respectively.

Foxfarm nute's (grow big, tiger bloom, big bloom)

Either cfls or a 400w mi/hps.

Now my questions lol

1) a seed bank that HAS A HIGH success shipping to the USA. Anyone use Nirvana or Bonza? Any other good

2) 4 strains good for SOG. Ak-48, Bubblelicious, NL, Aurora Indica? Sound good? Any other/better suggestions?

3) Do I need soil if using coco coir? I've read u don't need it, but see a lot of posts where it's a mix of the 3.

4) For my 1st grow I know it's not going to be my best, but what can I expect as a yield? (Consider it's all from fem'd seeds)

5) I'm clueless about exhaust and odor control, so what's the best quiet ones for a startup? Or how do you muffle a loud one?

Now for the why:

10 years ago I grew in a bedroom in soil, from clones, for the money. Now I'm married and have 3 awesome kids. I am growing now for MEDS. I am prone to very severe panic attacks, due to a 15 year war with PTSD. Legal antidepressants, mood stabilizers, anti-psychotics, anxiety meds, all prescribed, and all have done nothing but give me access to something that could be misused and has been. MJ has all the properties I'm looking for, w/o the addiction of narcotics and the chance to OD, IF my head gets the best of me. I mean I could OD on MJ, but a munchie fest and sleep doesn't sound as bad as chasing a script of Valium with Crown, ya know?

Please any help/advise/encouragement could save my sanity (seriously).

Best wishes on great grows,
    Klover

2. That's an odd shaped tent, and 5' high is pretty short, but usable.

If you use coco you need to use nutrients that  are specifically for coco.

If you don't mind dealing with the hight issues then go for the 400w HPS. But even better would be 2x 250w HPS. They require less hight and you will have a more even distribution of light over your 4'x2.5' area.

Covering the area in CFLs would be very costly

1) I only ever use attitude seedbank. They often get them to me within 24 hours. But I don't live in the US so I don't know who's best for you.

2) SOG is a good productive system. Any strain will work just fine. Pick the ones you want to try. Don't worry about the training, that can be applied to all strains.

3) you certainly don't need it. Coco works fine on its own. But it can also be used as an amendment for soils. It's all personal preference.

4) this is mainly determined by your lights. The last 2x 250w HPS grow I did I got 14 oz if I remember correctly. But that was hydro, so coco would be a little less.

A 400w would produce around 8-10 oz if there were no cock ups 

CFLs give out around 1oz per 100 watts 

These  figures might be a little optimistic for a first time grower perhaps.

5) I only use systemair fans. They are pretty much mechanically silent. But the air they move is always going to make noise, there is no getting around that.

I would recommend getting a 6" systemair fan and use a dimmer  plug with it to slow the speed down to lower the noise to what you prefer.

Acoustic ducting  helps, as does a carbon filters and a silencer if needed. A carbon filter in front of the fan is what you need for smell control. I only use rhino pro filters. They are the best available, and one of the most expensive. Don't cheap out on non branded filters, they simply don't work.

Hope that helps 

3. Thanks for the reply! The room I'm using is a spare bathroom that I haven't finished remodeling. It's roughly 5 long, 2'8" wide, 6"6' high. I truely believe a tent or box to be my best bet at decent product. The tent is a Gencom I found on a hydro shop online. How many plants would you suggest? I plan on 2-3 ft. tops.

4. #4 brixfix, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
    My 1 tent is the same size. 2-3 plants in a scrog is doable. The main problem I had was the ends. I can't raise the hood enough to get light down there if the plants get to tall. I started off using CFLs to get light down to the ends without having to move the light back and forth. I've upgraded to a 600watt hid. And I also have two 300watt leds I could use if needed. We'll see how it goes. When I move this spring I'll be able to replace this tent with a bigger one and I can't wait. But a 2x4x5 tent is very doable.

5. Great info brix! I plan SOG ' ING for this grow. Would u recommend 6-8 plants?

6. I've thought about doing a sog in there but haven't yet to this date. More plants with less height. Maybe 8 in the shortest 3 gallon pots you could find. You can always go up or down a plant or 2 next time. You would be better off talking to someone else for that though. I can comment on the tent size and problems but having never done a sog in there i don't want too mislead you. I like goldgrowers idea of the 2x 250 watt. I actually have access to 2 smaller lights I could borrow. I might have to try it out come flower. Good luck and have fun

7. #7 brixfix, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
    Quick bit...always think short when it comes to the containers. Even an inch helps when you're only dealing with 5' and a big chunk of that is your light , your container and the air space between the light and canopy. Even got a lower profile hood with my 600 watt light.