My very first plants

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Finixie, Jan 12, 2016.

1. #1 Finixie, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2016
    Hey guys, so here is a little overview of my story, Ive been smoking for a few years and Ive tried to start a few plants with some bag seeds with absolutely no success so I gave up on trying and concentrated a bit on studying up and I learned that I was actually killing my plants with crap cheap dirt from homedepot, the kind that costs like a dollar per bag. My seeds always germinated and my biggest success was a little plant and managed to break the soil and grow the first pair of true leaves but that too died when I woke up one morning and found it lying on its side with part of the stem really skinny and brown. Anyway So a weeks ago I found 2 seeds in different bags and said hey why not give this a try again? so I started germinating my seeds and when they cracked and the root showed I planted them root side down, 3 more days passed and I started getting impatient so i dug in the dirt and pulled the seed out, huge mistake... my impatience had ruined a lot of things in my life... So the root had actually grown like an inch into the dirt and was going well... *sigh* so I planted it in again as best as I could being very careful not to pack the dirt in so much.... so my question is this, did I just kill my seed? or is there still a chance it might grow? also the other seeds root has not grown at all, its still the same as I planted it, is this normal? they are a week old and I understand they are different seeds and probably different strains but is it normal for a seed to be a week old and still just be showing only the tip of the root?

Update:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So hey guys, I want to post a little update on my plants so I can maybe get some tips. Like I said this is my first grow and I have no idea what this is supposed to look like. I've seen lots of videos and pictures and read a lot of information but its always good to get advice from experienced people so... The tallest one (code name: Jane) is 2" tall the first set of leaves is in and the second pair is already starting to show. The short one (Merry) sprouted yesterday, just opened up today and the first pair of leaves is showing. I'm and little concerned about Janes high, yesterday it was 2" tall and I added dirt to the brim to bury part of the stem however it grew again to the length of 2" and even tho it seems to be reducing on growth speed (on stem that is, the leaves are growing mighty fine) for what I've seen I'm afraid it might be getting too tall or is this normal height? I have them on a very sunny windowsill in the morning and setting them under 5400k at night so they get a full 24h of light every day. They have a fan on all the time and the stem on Jane is getting pretty strong so Im happy, Any advice guys? How do they look to you?

2. Reading between the lines of your post, I'm guessing you used the old paper towel method or soak in water technique to germinate. I really feel sorry for people who do this. Its totally unnecessary and kills more plants than its worth. Its an old stoner wive's tale/technique. No other agricultural community puts seeds at risk like this. You probably damaged the shorter seed and killed it in the transfer to soil. Pushing and pulling on the other one has put it at risk too, but it could very well pull through. Mother Nature ain't no push over. Stay out of her way, and her resilience will amaze you.

Here's my technique: I start my cannabis seeds in rockwool cubes, but you can use peat pellets or whatever starter medium you want. I use peat pellets for my veggies since they're going into the ground outside, so I know they work too. I moisten the cube/media as appropriate for your chosen starter,punch a hole in the media with a pen/pencil about 3/4" deep, drop the seed in, and then pinch the hole shut. Put the cube in a dish/tray and cover it to retain moisture. Place the tray in a warm space. The top of the fridge is a good place, I put mine on top of the fluorescent fixture in my starter tent. Keep the media moist, but not soggy. I use a mister to keep from over doing it. Having the seed in media prevents light burn on the fresh root, the seed orients itself naturally, and the mass of media around the seed helps store and distribute moisture evenly. Once the cotyledon, the first two faux leaves you'll see, are fully exposed, move the tray to its light source, whatever that may be. The cotyledon will feed the seedling for the first week or so, so no feeding, just water. I usually wait two weeks to feed, which is when I typically transfer the cubes into coco in 8" pots and hit them with a dose of Clonex, which is just a dilute liquid fert. You can transfer to soil the same way, leaving the feed out as the soil will again feed the plant for two weeks with no issues.

3. #3 Finixie, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So hey guys, I want to post a little update on my plants so I can maybe get some tips. Like I said this is my first grow and I have no idea what this is supposed to look like. I've seen lots of videos and pictures and read a lot of information but its always good to get advice from experienced people so... The tallest one (code name: Jane) is 2" tall the first set of leaves is in and the second pair is already starting to show. The short one (Merry) sprouted yesterday, just opened up today and the first pair of leaves is showing. I'm and little concerned about Janes high, yesterday it was 2" tall and I added dirt to the brim to bury part of the stem however it grew again to the length of 2" and even tho it seems to be reducing on growth speed (on stem that is, the leaves are growing mighty fine) for what I've seen I'm afraid it might be getting too tall or is this normal height? I have them on a very sunny windowsill in the morning and setting them under 5400k at night so they get a full 24h of light every day. They have a fan on all the time and the stem on Jane is getting pretty strong so Im happy, Any advice guys? How do they look to you?

4. Thanks for the reply, Ill be sure to add some perlite to the soil when I repot them. I'm getting an exceptionally sunny day and Jane seems to have stopped stretching and the leaves are getting mighty big.