My UNIQUE Non-Conventional Grow Design 40 pics

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Dado, Jun 24, 2011.

1. This is a real thing of beauty, thanks for sharing. Gave me a few ideas....

2. I too am anxious to get this running with the new lighting and CO2 setup, I used this on my last grow with the plumbing but the lights were CFL's just hanging overhead , so I know it can produce GREAT results with only 18 liters of nutrified Reverse Osmosis water. Just depend on the LED's and my D.I.Y CO2 generator to do their job now.

Thanks

3. It looks like overkill but it looks really good. Keep a grow journal.

4. Possibly....but I dont think anyone went to this extreme to get a full prospective on both kinds of these lights. It be good to see the outcome

5. Thats whats it's ALL about,

6. Very nice indeed! I can tell your some what OCD, lol. But I like it, clean and organized. Now I have been having temp problems and people have pointed me to LED. Where I'm from, summers are real scorchers with outside temps reaching 110 F. Keep me updated on how temps compare between the LEDs and CFL.

7. #27 Dado, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2011
    Just picked up a digital light meter that I will be analyzing the 15 fluorescent lights (see pic) total lumen and and the actual kelvin output with and without using aluminum hoods. I will post new pictures soon from results soon

[​IMG]

8. cant wait!!!! post the results

9. Where did you get something that will measure Kelvins? Do PAR meters do that?

10. I work in film, the common color temp meter we use is about $1700 new.

11. This is my bro's, he lent it to me for the weekend.

Attached Files:

12. Have you started using this system yet?

13. Yes, It was a good year with that....Never tried the scrog, CO2 or the LED lights, ( I used it with CFLs. The plumbing works GREAT with 18 liters, (4) 5 foot plants

14. Can you post a link to where u got those LED lights from? I am interested...
    Heat Heat Heat... i love it this time of year... my babies say otherwise :(

15. Looks awesome dude.... Let's get some green in there;)

16. Yea, i'm interested on where he got the lights.

17. These were from Hong Kong ...Amonstar.

I am VERY happy with the choice, EACH bulb lights up SOOOO Bright, put 25 together and it's like looking into the sun (I chosw this way , in case one bulb goes down, It will be a minimum cost to replace or repair. Very happy with these (but the proof is in the results), I just have to wait and see

18. HOly Overkill Batman! lol. j/k man, just watch your utility bills for a spike... thats a pretty elaborate setup u got there.

19. Yes, overkill, when the same "end results" can be achieved using a rubbermaid tub and a cfl light. But I wanted to construct something unique that would make me just as happy building it as well as make me happy with a lush indoor harvest. I wanted to utilize any and all space available in a 36" wide grow area without using gallons and gallons of nuted water, and replace that with 18 liters. I have one last change that will compliment and amplify both lighting stages, that I will post pictures this week.

If don't think the electric bill will spike (keeping in mind that I used 25 100W CFL's last time and the electric wasn't even noticeably higher) but if there is an increase, it will be worth an extra .10 cents per kwh to achieve "top notch" results on a shoestring budget using Macgyver techniques :D

For the most part, everytime I had to go to Home Depot or Lowes, I picked up an extra item or two to keep the $$ pinch to a minimum , I never even felt the cost of building this (with the exception of the lights , the highest priced item), most of the stuff I had in my garage,..... pipes,.... plugs,....wire shelves, ect

Thanks
    Dado

20. To maximize the lumens I removed all the white panda film and replaced it with mylar coated 1/2" insulation styrofoam. As I will be using only (15) 2 foot grow lights and LED's I certainly dont think there will be hot spots. I think the "non flat" mylar is better for me in this instance by that I mean a little more crinkly as shown, when the LED's are reflecting against the non flat mylar, I want it to reflect back in a random direction (sort of like a prism) rather then a flat direct path.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made some hood for the 2 foot fluorescents (below) by re-designing the plastic cover that came with these lights and covering them with commercial grade aluminum foil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(BELOW) I needed help with the meter that I borrowed to verify the kelvin rating which was a constant 7322k (just as the fixture says) I forgot to take a picture of the meter reading and gave the meter back. The meter below shows the lumens at 647 average X 10 power or 6,470 lumens at 12 inches away for the entire 2'X3' grow area (I check this at every 12 inches vertically and horizontally ) (given that.... the 2'x3' grow area has 38,820 +/- 5% lumens in 6 sq feet)
    Previously, before changing from the panda film to the mylar sheets, I had a lux reading of 472X10 (4720X6 sq feet) is 28,320 lumens. By installing hoods and adding mylar to all sides except the opening I have increased my lumens by a whopping 10,500 (a 37% increase)

[​IMG]

I think Panda film is one of the best alternatives to increase reflective lighting, but in my project, I think the mylar insulation sheets are best suited