My tomato beauties

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Foxymel, May 14, 2019.

1. A21EC3C8-E3A6-4045-8695-A241CFC9A897.jpeg 702DFB49-DE74-4C7D-BF64-ACAD01DA3C2E.jpeg 0156B52D-F822-40E9-A8DD-2CE3105C9F57.jpeg E2E8E7CC-A4F5-4D8E-B723-8C581B2B3E28.jpeg Me and my daughter started a garden a few months ago, growing everything from seed. My tomato plants are getting full of tomatoes! I can’t wait to just go outside and pick a tomato. Here’s some pics of my tomato plants. They’re heirloom tomatoes.

• Like Like x 5
  2. I wonder if you could pick a few for some fried green tomatoes?

3. Hmm. Not a bad idea. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Awesome. Maybe something like a fried green tomato po'boy sammich with a little fried shrimp or catfish to go with it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wow you're gonna have some early tomatoes. Mine don't even have any blooms yet but it shouldn't be long. What varieties are you growing. I have german johnson, cherokee purple, golden jubilee, and red beefsteak. Oh man I can't wait for a mater sammich with mayo and lots of black pepper!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. I live in Florida so I can grow them all year. I have heirloom, one I can’t remember and I just picked up some cherry tomato baby plants. It was root bound when I got them. I repotted then in five gallon pots with organic soil and they doubled in size within a day. I love rescuing store plants. At Lowe’s they have a plant clearance section that are very sad looking. I get them for usually 50 cents, take them home and repot them. It’s amazing how fast they bounce back and start to flourish with the right care

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lucky!! haven’t even planted anything yet outdoors hear in upstate Ny. The weathers been cold and rainy, this time last year pretty much had everything hardend off and Transplanted already

8. Looking forward to garden season life is so boring right now lol.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I think we planted the tomato seeds about three and a half months ago. One weird thing is one of them have ugly looking bumps on the stem. I’ll have to google “ugly bumps on tomatoe plant stems”. :)

10. Well done!

If you want more Tomato's on your plant's you can take a paint brush and brush each flower to pollinate as they are self pollinators, meaning there both boy & girl...

• Like Like x 1
  11. ? I don’t get that. But I didn’t know they were self-pollinators. I have some younger tomato plants that just started getting flowers. I’m not really sure what you mean with the paint brush but I’m willing to try! :)

12. #12 Digger, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2

13. Thank you! I’ll check it out. I’ve never grown tomatoes so this is new territory.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Those look great. I knocked my tray of seedlings over and restarted. I’ve got several types that I plan to try. I’m starting to use SIP containers this year so it should be interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  15. How was the read? Can't wait to see them when there ripe:)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Still dreaming in Vermont...........

• Like Like x 2
  17. Looking good! You'll be eating freshies in no time!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Thanks! I have some tomatoes that are turning red but they look pretty small. Out of everything I’ve grown, tomatoes are def the most challenging. Way harder than growing weed. They are finicky little things, especially as it’s been so hot and humid. They are very hungry and thirsty plants.

I’ve actually learned a lot about gardening from reading so much here for growing weed and vice versa. The good thing about growing tomatoes is they recover very quickly. Yesterday they were very droopy. After watering them they bounced back. I use Dr. Earth tomato nutes and they really like it. I can always tell a difference just the next day after feeding.

19. That is great news, they are kicking my butt so far this year. You are correct in that this is a great resource for a lot more than erb, tho I love erb. I found some great composting and fert discussions in this part of GC.

20. It's pretty wild how much of the information is interchangeable. Gardening, at it's core, is so awesome and it's really great how knowledge acquired for one almost directly translates to the other. Growing your own and learning to understand a little bit more about nature along the way is one of the most rewarding life experiences, in my opinion.