My Timber Grow light experience(and others)

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by storz, Jul 29, 2017.

1. #1 storz, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    I am an indoor horticulturalist wannabe. I have been at it for a short time 3 years + or -. . I want to share some info about Timber Lights and some of the other brands out there I have tinkered with.

I did my research, I thought, and purchased a pricey COB LED that ended up turning my plants a dark purple color.... almost black. I thought I would just use it for something simple like lettuce but it burned out after 6 months of total use. I will not mention the name b/c I have NOTHING good to say about them. However, that could just be my bad luck. YMMV

So after that, I went to Advanced LED Diamond XML . The light grew well. Unfortunately, I bought it used and if the guy I bought it from was honest, the light lasted only about 1 to 1.5 years. Part of it still works so I keep it as a back up.

Then I went to the California Light works. I liked this light so much I bought another. Grows well and is a work house light. I have heard that either you like CLW or you don't. I do.

However, after doing more research, I discovered Growmou5 on Youtube. That guy sent me to school. I bought a kit from Cutter Electronics and build a 4 COB cree 200 watt light. It performs very very well. So much so, I really wanted to put it to the test. In a 3x3 tent, I grew two patio tomato plants, two sugar peas, AND two pepper plants all at the same time.. Everything did extremely well. All plants set fruit and the harvests were very close to what I would have got outdoors. I did not measure the harvest so its an arm's length compare. I was going to build another light until I came across Timber Grow lights and saw that they have the same set up I built but assembled and executed so much better than my DIY. The customer service was excellent when I called to order it and the packaging for shipment was an indicator how this company pays attention to details.This light KICKS BOOTY. The cost wasn't much more that the DIY kit IMHO. Yes I am a fan.

I am digging what I am hearing about Board LEDs. I have to ask if the results are really that much better than say COBs by cree or ?? The numbers /physics look better but would I notice more at harvest time or something else that is better ? More fruit? bigger flowers? More flowers? Quicker maturity? Anything? One thing I like about the TGL or my DIY set up is there are no fans!!! I love the quiet.

Hope I didn't bore you guys. Any info you can share would be welcomed.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cutter Electronics and Timber grow lights use almost identical parts, as far comparable name brand. If you had a problem, it's probably user error, no offense.

3. No offense taken

4. For lettuce you would need to dim those lights down really far. They can't handle the intensity that cobs put out on full.
    See here.
    Cutter, rapidled, cobkits ect all have the same stuff. The only difference might be the bins and the cri options.

5. Understood about the diff kits. As far as the lettuce is concerned, one can put the led further away from the plant w/o dimming. Will get a bigger coverage area too. But my experience has been better with good ol t5 florescent close to the plant. And save the LED for bigger plants that flower/fruit. My 2 cents.....

6. Didn't bore me I just didn't understand all your abbreviated language. Please can you translate for the non millenials.

Sent from my Vodafone 985N using Tapatalk

7. LED light emitting diode
    CLW California light works
    COB CHIP on board
    DIY do it yourself
    XML a model of light by a company called Advanced Platinum
    IMHO in my humble opinion

Hope that helps.

8. Hey how do you think a p4xml2 with the 4 100 watt timber grow light set up 3000 k mounted around it would work in a 5x5, think it would be enough light? I was using p400 in a4x4 for veg and a p9xml2 in my 5x5 for flower but I'm thinking of putting the p9 in my veg tent and building around the p4 for flower

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum