My thoughts on god

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Arkady, Jun 8, 2010.

1. #1 Arkady, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2010
    [WARNING - stoned ramble ahead]
    What I'm thinking is this - science can neither prove or disprove the existence of god, and yet, beyond a certain level of complexity science requires us to construct machines and computers to measure and quantify different aspects of the observable universe.
    Human beings can build space ships, nuclear power plants, particle accelerators and even recently a simple single celled organism but we still can not recreate our own gensis, we can not even begin to try building what is arguably the most complicated machine of all, a Human.
    We walk around measuring the universe all day every day on levels unaccessible to other machines, we cross reference our results with each other, we know what is right and wrong and startlingly the vast majority of us detect the presence of god.
    Why, when we are such incredibly sophisticated machines do people reject the very fact that people believe in god so out of hand and yet completely accept the results produced by far less sophisticated machines?
    I believe in god, but I believe that he built the universe in such a way that we will NEVER be able to prove or disprove his existence, he built the heavens and he is expanding them.
    As we grow and our knowledge increases so will the complexity of gods creation.
    He's always going to be one step ahead and I think this is where 'faith' comes into play. If god appeared to us now, proving his existence beyond doubt then right and wrong, fair and unfair, good and evil would be rendered meaningless because people would just do good based on their fear of divine justice. God hides himself from us but gives us our human sense of morality so that we can make a choice to do the right thing, because of our faith that life means something we do good even when it's hard.
    Only recently did I figure out the 'footprints in the sand' parable.
    A man has a dream where he's walking along a sandy beach with god, his whole life running past his eyes, they walk along together as he is born, grows up, goes to school, marries, has kids and eventually dies in his sleep as an old man but the man notices something, that in all the darkest parts of his life when he was at his lowest ebb god's footprints dissappeared and he walked alone "my god he says, if you love me how could you abandon me when I needed you the most". God turns to him and says "my dear child, I love you and I would never leave you. Those dark times when you saw only one set of footprints in the sand, that was when I carried you"
    It makes sense to me now that the reason we keep going when things are at their worst is that we have faith that things can get better and that these lives we live truly do mean something, we don't just give up and lie down to die because god is carrying us.
    As you see I am pretty sold on the whole god thing. I'm not sold on religion.
    My god doesn't demand that I worship him, or that I obay any obscure set of rules set down in stone thousands of years ago, he doesn't care what I eat or who I make love to, nor what I wear or how I spend my sundays. My god is greater than that and all he asks of me is that I do good, love and live my life.

any thoughts GC? I'm prety high so this might not make as much sense as it seems to.

2. yea man i feel the same on believing in god but i don't believe in church in honesty people are corrupt so i just put my faith in God....

funny thing is I grew up in church ( my dad is a preachers has a couple churches in different countries)....

but there is a lot of things that go on in churches all over that can make some people lose their faith...

and i was smoking and thinking about it then realized that churches are run by humans and we tend to do a lot of wrong things which is how i lost faith in the church but not in God and i feel that is the reason why most people turn away from God because of how people who are supposed to represent him act....

hope this makes sense...waking and baking...

3. Hey irokdonks
    Makes sense thats the dealio with me I believe in my God but not the ppl runnin' his crib haha(sorry pretty high)
    Thats why i smoke that ganja because ppl are so corrupt nowadays you know
    Peace,Love,Gajna