My Theory on Government

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by SoftPillow, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Relating to weed and just in general.

There are people out there who are very convinced that the entire government is corrupt, all the way through. And I'd like to say that that probably isn't true.

The executive branch can lean on certain people in Congress and...um. To get stuff done, but it can't really do much without Congress.

This came up because I was thinking, hey, maybe I'd like to get into politics once I get grounded in my life - hold down a job, etc.

Then the thought occurred to me - what if there are lots of people like that, people who are new, freshfaced, full of ideas who do happen to make it up the political ladder to the House or Senate without being to abused by the system itself in terms of mudslinging or just generally getting jaded by the harsh reality of the system.

But then, they're only one person, and soon they'll find themselves realizing that they have to conform to a certain extent or they can't accomplish what they want. And then they're gone - just another politician.

So, sorry for the rambling, but I'm pretty blazed, so the thought coherency might be a bit off.

The point: Shit. Hang on.

The point of all of that leads to one solution - Term limits and maximums.
    I think that the issue with our government is that our senators and congressmen are so entrenched in the system (people who have been in Congress for 20 years?!), that they have become jaded, have had corporations lock 'campaign donation' claws into their backs, and are a voice of the corporations in Congress.

Now, I'm pretty cynical, but I believe that most people have some amount of good in them, and a general wish to create for the better. Every politician still has that little idea that he wanted to make happen when he first came into the Senate.

So, if term limits and maximums, like the president, were imposed, I think that this could solve the problem. Keep the amount of time per term the same, but make it so that say, any one person is allowed only one term in the senate, and/or two in the house. (Which, if I'm remembering right, is 4 years senate, 2 years/term house).

This would make those politicians think - I'm only here for a little bit. What do I want to make happen? This would also solve the idea of a 'trained politician', who came out of school specifically to go into politics, which I think is another root cause of our problems. Our founding fathers were just regular guys who picked up running the country - our politicians should be normal people with strong ideas who want to have them heard and enacted.

So...yeah. The shittiest part? Won't happen, because they'd have to vote the limits onto themselves. BULLLLLSHITTTT

TLDR: Term maximums of 1 term in the Senate and 2 in the House makes it so that they feel a time pressure to accomplish their personal goal, or what they perceive to be the goal of the people without having them in there for enough time for corporations to eat their soul.

2. When control signals from the brain cannot make it past a bloated, overgrown and still voraciously expanding cellular mass to order a "STOP!", we call it cancer. It's usually fatal.

3. Sorry, but there are all kinds of corruption going on in the ranks lower than the Senate. No one who ascends to that position is squeaky clean and fresh-faced. Lots of former prosecutors, etc.

4. I tend to agree with you, but I think that you're too naive in expecting that there will be people who are going to be 100% clean coming up from the bottom.

They might maintain that one goal, but it may be warped by the time they are in a position to attempt to implement it.

EDIT: Holy shit that was me...I'm too high for this.

5. Why would you want someone 100% clean? They wouldn't understand the true "human plight" in the least. I want a real person who has made mistakes and isn't afraid to admit it. This was my hope for Obama. Having supposedly come from rougher roots, having experimented with drugs, I figured he might be "real". Instead, he laughed about 20,000,000 people having their lived devastated for something he himself admitted to enjoying.