my sprout is 1 and half inches in 2 days

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kayakush, Jan 22, 2012.

1. so i germinated a few bags seeds and planted one 2 days ago in a dixie cup. i put it in lights and in 2 days that baby is almost 2 inches tall. is this indicative of a male? i heard the faster the sprout grew the more likely it is a male. i can post pics later....let me know

2. No, what you are referring to is the fact that males tend to stretch upward quicker during flowering to allow them to be taller than the females for easier pollination. Most likely your plant is stretching up for the light. What lighting do you have? Because a tall plant isn't always good, it's more about how many growth nodes you have, and how far apart they are.

3. You can not determine sex until your plant is in flowering and well underway in 12/12. You have a long time before you will know that.

There is a billion wive's tales on how to determine sex and a sprout growing fast being a indicator of that is one of them.

4. thanks for the reply. i knew there was something different about the males. my sprout is under cfls. nothing crazy....just get em big enough to transplant in a two-3 weeks.....its an organic growth.........

5. How far away are the CFLs? Ideally you should keep them 1-2" away, because the lumen output really falls off in a short distance. CFL lights aren't very hot so if you have any ventilation or air circulation, heat shouldn't be an issue. You'll know your plant is stretching if it starts having trouble supporting itself, or if there is very little actual growth nodes.

6. His reference to stretching for the lights means your plant is growing taller because the light is to far away. CFLs only have a grow spectrum radius of 2-4 inches. Any further from the plant and the plant can stretch to try to reach it. Its not a indicator its a male or female. You would have to pay to have to have a genetic test to determine that.

If your light is to high all your plant will do is get longer and longer till it falls over on its side.

7. the lights are about 2 inches away....the true leaves are coming in strong

8. Well without pictures there's no way to be certain, but it sounds like your lights are close enough, it could be the genetics. It's bagseed so there's no way to know for certain what kind of traits can be expected.

9. or you can veg long enough and they will show pre flowers.

10. ill post a pic...yeah its a bagseed so who knows. just hope its a girl.

11. heres a pic...2 days old

[​IMG]

12. It looks to be a little tall, but it appears to be alright though. The spacing between the nodes is very small, so it doesn't look like it's stretching for light, it may have earlier but it looks like it found it. I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues to stretch upwards.