my spiritual "quest".

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by PMoney, Aug 15, 2010.

1. alright, so i've been thinking alot about what i want to do with myself and my life in general every time it seems like i get high. i think i wanna move to india - Bodh Gaya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to be more specific. i have it essentially planned out from there. i'm gonna stay in a cafe and smoke some nice indian hashish out of a hookah for the majority of the day, and then at night when the sun is setting i'll go out and meditate under a bodhi tree keyed as all-hell, then repeat daily while occasionally visiting a buddhist temple for aid in a quest to seek nirvana. i just figure the "cosmic energy", if you will, would be way more positive and peaceful at the place of the buddha's enlightenment than anywhere else in the world. it's the stoner's dream, i suppose. at least it's my dream, anyway.

2. #2 esseff, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
    I've been having similar thoughts. The last time I was in India was nearly 10 years ago. I've been feeling like it's time to go back.

3. "If you cannot find the truth right where you are,
    where else do you expect to find it?"

"If you want to go to India, go to India" but there is no need to seek the "cosmic energy," it is already with you. There is nothing to obtain through meditation, it is already yours.

"The only Zen you find at the top of a mountain is the Zen you bring up there."

4. Although I do agree with these statements, I think that it is really hard to get in the right mind-frame in such a Christian, destructive, violent, consumed atmosphere like the West. It's really hard to feel spiritual under the back-drop of a big Target or IKEA sign, with some clown spinning his tyres down your street.

Being in an area 'established' on the beliefs of lots of like-minded people will always be more enriching. I think that you could actually better find the truth, due to the great pool of similarly-goaled people to speak with.

5. Obviously you haven't been to India...

(Not trying to be a dick, but India is ... well, it's really crowded... It won't be easy to find a quiet spot to sit down and get high.)

6. jes, wat he says

yo see meng, it ain't tha sun in yo eyes or tha mountain air dat be calmin you and shit ya know? its da peace dat comes from yo mind esse, you mind may be like influencin and shit by that but its like no different than being influencin from other shit like violence and gats and shit ya nawmeen?

wat i tink yo ass is tryin to do is like change yo environment and shits cuz you ain't down with where you at, and yo using this enlightenment business as an excuse to git out and shit. dats cool man hey man those places are tight as shit an i wull love to go dere and see whatsup and shit. but yo forgettin that what yo doin is jus an attachment nawmean? you gettin all attached to india and places and shit when you can have all dat happiness and peace whever yo ass be.

dats jus dis one homies thinkin though peace fool

7. ^ do you actually talk like that? (You're very good at it.)

8. I can if I want to, it's just a product of where I grew up/live. And with some people I do otherwise I have to explain a lot of words and that's annoying as fuck. I can also do various stereotypical voices as well from races to most particular groups of people, but that is simply because I got mad skillz like that.

9. ^ That one was even better.

The first one, was like, "naturally gangster".

The second one, was like, "intellectually gangster".

:)

10. Your first one...

Yes... I agree... He doesn't have to go all the way to India to meditate... he can do it at his local Starbucks... much more convenient and safer...

11. Aww yeah I wasn't even trying anyones voice that time but my own. :cool:

Probably smells a lot better too. OH SNAP NO I DI-INT

But yeah location doesn't matter one bit when you are trying to calm your mind. Whenever I went to a party that sucked and my peeps didn't want to leave I used to sit on whatever couch rub my hands together and concentrate on the feeling. I got a lot of looks and "you alright man?"'s but I never minded.

12. DEFINITELY smells better. India smells like... curry everywhere... actually if you like curry, you might like it... but then it smells like curry mixed with cow shit...

And the thing about the location, and rubbing your hands and going to your 'personal spot'... I like that...

13. Curry's alright, had some that was damn good when I was in japan I think, some asian country anyways. But I don't like it near enough to smell it 24/7, nor cows. I'm going to visit someday though, seems like a pretty fucking beautiful place.

Yeah I used to do it all the time with different methods and places, the music, sounds smell sights all of that would fade away and the only thing that was on my mind was the ridges in my fingers. I love it.

14. The curry may be from India, but it's the Japanese who really know how to cook it. They make great curry dish...

The underlined part...

The ability to do so, I think, requires you to be... relaxed and chilled...

So you must be 'relaxed and chilled' kind of person. Which is nice.

15. Yeah I was surprised how good it was, didn't expect to like it at all from the looks of it haha

Thanks man! I try to be, most of the people I talk with for a bit have complimented me by saying something similar so I guess I'm doing alright.

It's not so hard though once you learn to acknowledge your thought rather than to try to keep them at bay, while meditating I mean.

16. I read your post all the time... they're more than alright...

Reading YOUR posts makes ME feel relaxed and chilled... so I guess you're doing a good thing here.

17. haha wow man what can I say? :eek: Thanks man that really meant a lot. imma tryin

18. @Mental : You're welcome!

As for the guy who wanted to go to India to meditate, give it a try... you might like it...

19. I partially agree

Yes - you may be able to find 'truth' where you are
    however - the 'truth' where you are now and the 'truth' somewhere nearby could be totally different
    different atmosphere - different image - different feeling - different energy - different direction - different control
    different experience - different result

do I seek to find the 'truth' from the location of an asphalt parking lot
    or do I seek to find the 'truth' in a wooded area where many woodland creatures are running about
    they are basically different 'truth' - at least to some extent

20. #20 Perpetual Burn, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2010
    You are confusing Path with Truth.

The truth will be the same wherever you are. The truth is non-dual... though in reality, it beyond such concepts as dual or non-dual. There is no separation between you and everything else. There is no "you" or "everything else." There is simply what is. Where will you go that you will not be yourself?

It is the path that varies... and there are an infinite number of ways to realize what you are, yet there is only one "what you are." When you look at asphalt or the woods, know that you are always looking at yourself.

If you lay down concepts such as good/bad, beautiful/ugly, right/wrong there is no way for anything to hinder you on your path... and nothing can really help you, because it is you. You allow yourself to be tossed about in the seas of Samsara because you are the one giving "the external" power by deeming it to be external.

"All rivers flow to the sea."

Enlightenment in New York is enlightenment in India.

You cannot use Samsara to escape Samsara.