My speech on legalization of MDMA. Thoughts? BIG READ

Discussion in 'General' started by xlikelocusts, Apr 30, 2009.

1. #1 xlikelocusts, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2009
    Anyone who actually takes the time to read this, thank you! Any feedback is greatly appreciated! :bongin:

[FONT=&quot]The effects of ecstasy include mood lifts, increased willingness to communicate, feelings of comfort, belonging, forgiveness, love, empathy, and an increased awareness of senses.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Due to fear mongering tactics, and exaggeration, most people will consider ecstasy a very dangerous drug with potential to drills holes in your head, which is up for serious debate due to no scientific research ever concluding that.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]According to research, and the scale to assess the harm of drugs, ecstasy is including in those labeled as soft drugs, with low risk for physical harm and dependence.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Most illegal drugs are no more harmful than legal substances, such as cigarettes and alcohol.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]According to the US substance abuse and mental health administration only 76 people died last year due to ecstasy compared to the 400,000 plus who died from cigarettes and the 100,000 plus who died from alcohol. Roughly only 2 out of every 100,000 ecstasy users die, compared to the 400 per 100,000 users who die from cigarettes. For a country that cares so much about stopping deadly drugs, we sure don’t mind all the people who die from all the legal regulated drugs.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In fact, the number one reason why people die from MDMA, is not due to the drug itself. MDMA has one of the higher LD50 rates. This is the dose that will kill 50 percent of rats given the drug, implying a high margin of safety, making it very difficult to overdose. The actual reasons for dying on ecstasy are dehydration caused by excessive sweating, by drinking too much water leading to water intoxication or the low quality of street ecstasy. Street ecstasy, especially pressed pills, is often mixed with a wide variety of adulterants, including caffeine, amphetamines, mda, and dxm that can cause a variety of negative side effects. Side effects that could easily be avoided if it was legally regulated. The legally regulated MDMA would be pure quality with no added drugs or fillers making ecstasy even safer to use.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Not only would regulating MDMA make the quality better and safer, but it would take all MDMA related business away from drug dealers. What did alcohol prohibition cause? Well the al capones of course. Organized crime. Because people are not able to obtain what they are looking for legally, they must go to the black market. The people involved and methods of producing and selling drugs would change dramatically if MDMA was legalized. The current dealers of drugs would not be able to survive in a competitive marketplace. Large companies would produce and distribute the drug on a national scale. In such an environment the drug will be less potent and less dangerous. Consumers will be safer and better informed—changes in the product will be consumer-driven. We essentially take money and power away from organized crime units, and put the power back into the hands of the government. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Some of the flawed arguments towards MDMA are its neurotoxicity, its ability to be addicting, and its roll on shaping the human mind. One argument against MDMA is the fact that it is neurotoxic. This view is very misleading and is another scare tactic used to verify its classification as a hard drug. In fact there are many medications that are neurotoxic, or how about alcohol for instance, which is also neurotoxic but remains legal. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Another misconception is that MDMA is physically addicting which has been scientifically proven wrong. People often confuse mental addiction with physical addiction and correlate both to mean the same thing. MDMA has the potential to be mentally addicting, which is also another flawed misconception in itself, as you have the ability to become mentally addicted to anything, even water. Also for a government so concerned with physically addicting substances, they seem to give nicotine in cigarettes a free pass. Which many health officials agree is one of the most addicting and hardest substances to quit.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Another view often argued is the ability to change serotonin receptors in the mind, after long term use. This leads to misconception that mdma is a dangerous drug that has terrible consequences on the human body. What about the heart failure, liver damage, and brain damage that long term alcohol consumption can cause? I guess killing yourself slowly is much more socially acceptable when there are a few bucks to be made.[/FONT]

2. Have you turned it in yet? I see a shitton of gramatical and logic errors, but it was a good read and you'll probably get a decent grade if you are, as I suspect, still in highschool.

You made a lot of health concern comparisons to legal drugs, but I could still make the argument that ALL drugs (including alcohol, cigarettes) should be prohibited. I think you should focus more on why it would be a good idea to make MDMA legal, rather then dwell on common misconceptions... But then again, that seems to be your point.

I'd give it a B

3. Drug is too powerful. Won't ever be legalized.

4. You may call me ignorant, but i haven't even read it. The reason is because i think the thought of trying to get MDMA legalized is ridiculous.
    However i'm sure you have given a good argument and i will read when i have some time.

5. #5 xlikelocusts, Apr 30, 2009
    I'm in college lol. English is not my strong suit, since I spend my time studying chemistry.
    My last speech was 10x worse than this and I still managed to get a 100, so Im hopeful.
    I didnt care for the grammatical or spelling errors because I will be reading this to my peers, not turning it in. I was going to do legalization of all drugs, but I only gave myself one day to write this, so I opted for my personal favorite drug, but thank you for the B grade:cool:

6. Sorry i think i misunderstood.
    I thought this was a serious thing you were doing. My bad:p

7. If you want some help, PM lagunasunrise13. She's my girlfriend and she's good with both English and drugs.

8. You make no mention whatsoever of mdma's therapeutic values and how numerous marriage counselors have stated that a single session spent with mdma is like the equivalent of an entire year's worth of sessions.

You make the same tired argument that so many other college kids do with papers on legalizing marijuana... You sit there and spit out all this half baked argument about how the drug ISNT bad but you don't spend time talking about why it's so beneficial and back it up with solid proof

If I read this I wouldn't even consider legalizing mdma.

But besides the one sided argument you bring to the table, it's also poorly worded and written and if I was an open minded professor I still wouldn't take you seriously. If you want some good links to round out this paper then hit up erowid and read up on the history of the drug and its uses, instead of rambling on and on about what YOU think would happen

9. Well you asked for feedback.....

10. #10 M1chael, Apr 30, 2009
    I would work on the ending a bit and elaborate more on the ill effects from it, while giving opposing sources from both sides..

but it's easier to notice mistakes when I'm not the one writing..

nice job,

I'd give it a b+ and maybe an A if you fixed a few things..

edit:also, what foop said(but in a nicer way;I'm assuming he/she is just passionate about the subject though, which is understandable.)
    info on it's theraputic qualities would be a must.

11. I did include the effects of therapuetic effects of MDMA in my speech.
    I also would like to say that I got the highest grade in class with a 98. :D