My Slice of Green

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by mike45214, Oct 13, 2016.

1. The blueberry is so strong in there you wouldn't even know there's diesel in the tent. It smells soooooo good though! Haven't picked anything off the plants I usually just chop the whole plant when it's time.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  2. The blueberry is fattening up nicely and I'm getting some mild foxtailing, I don't mind it at all though.

I've also finally built my DIY under current system with 5.3 gallon black buckets. I'll post pics and a tutorial here soon with links to most of the parts.

• Like Like x 2
  3. #144 mike45214, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    DIY Under Current Instructions

Parts

5.3 Gallon Buckets & Lids $80.00 for 8 Buckets
    Go to Amazon.com and search this number B01AB1KBEM

2 inch Bulkheads x9 $6.49 each
    Double Slip Bulkhead Fitting - 2 inch - Marine Depot

1 inch Inline Water Filter x1 $12.32
    Rain Bird RBY100MPTX - 1 inch Inline Male x Male WYE Filter with 200 Mesh Screen for Sprinkler & Irrigation Systems

1 inch Female Threaded Ball Valve x1 14.73
    Spears Ball Valve Female Pipe Threading (FPT) - Marine Depot

2 inch PVC Elbows x4 Lowe’s
    2 inch PVC Tee x1 Lowe’s
    2 inch to 1 inch Female Threaded PVC Reducer x1 Lowe’s
    1 inch Male Threaded PVC Coupler x1 Lowe’s
    1 800 GPH (or Higher) Inline Water Pump
    1 inch Black Hose
    3 inch Hole Saw with Arbor x1 Lowe’s
    1/2 inch Drill Bit
    Thread Sealant Tape
    Silicon Sealant
    Reflective Insulation x1 /Optional
    Reflectix 16 in. x 25 ft. Double Reflective Insulation with Staple Tab-ST16025 - The Home Depot
    Can of 3M Hi-Strength Contact Adhesive (Spray Glue) x1 /Optional
    3M 17.6 oz. High-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive-90-24 - The Home Depot

Instructions

I’m not going to address drilling holes into the buckets for the bulkheads, that’s what the 3in hole saw is for. Make sure you look at the pics to get things right!!!

You need 4 pieces of PVC pipe all the same length, these will be the parts that go between the Tees. You’ll need 4 pieces of PVC pipe that are 3in in length, these will be the parts that go into the bulkheads at one end and into the elbows at the other.
    IMG_0579.JPG
    You need 2 pieces of PVC pipe the same length, these are the last 2 pieces that space the buckets. If you’re running more than a 4 bucket system then you need 2 extra pieces of equal length pipe for every 2 additional buckets and you need 2 bulkheads per bucket. If you run a 4 bucket system you need a total of 9 bulkheads and for a 6 bucket system you 13 bulkheads in total. For every extra bucket above a 4 plant setup you need 2 extra bulkheads.
    IMG_0585.JPG
    Wrap all male threads with thread sealant tape and attach in the order you see in the above pic. This is the part that attaches to the last 2 bucket in the system. The 1in hose will connect to the barbed end and to the inline water pump. Use the 1/2in drill bit to make the hole in the control bucket for the 1/2in barbed male thread coupler.
    IMG_0558.JPG

Once you have everything measured and cut it's time to assemble the system.
    The one wild card is how long the pipe coming from the control bucket going to the front Tee will be. That's something you'll have to figure out yourself. If your control bucket won't be sitting straight in front of your system then you will need and extra 2in elbow.

Please look at the pics to see what goes where and if you have any questions just ask. If you do plan on using insulation on the buckets make sure you cut the holes for the bulkheads first and then use the contact glue to attach the insulation then use a razor to cut holes in the insulation for the bulkheads.
    After everything is assembled use the silicon to seal every PVC connection point and around the bulkheads. This allows you to be able to disassemble for expansion and cleaning.
    IMG_0589.JPG
    IMG_0586.JPG
    IMG_0557.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG

You can see how much money you save building your own under current. I though about spending $950 for the 4 bucket setup but I couldn't justify it when I could do it myself for a fraction of the cost.

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Start of week 8. I took a close look at the diesel and I don't believe that I'll let it go 14 weeks, has a decent amount of amber trichs already probably cut it down at 12. The blueberry is fading out as expected since I've cut nitrogen out. 21 days left on those and flush starts next Sun. IMG_0592.JPG IMG_0593.JPG IMG_0594.JPG IMG_0595.JPG IMG_0596.JPG IMG_0597.JPG IMG_0598.JPG IMG_0599.JPG IMG_0601.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  5. Plan on ordering a COB light setup here soon. Better all the way around especially in the summer. This is the one I plan on getting. If things go good with this one I'll order more.[​IMG]

6. The blueberry is so dense! I have a feeling that I'm going to be very happy with the final weight from them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hats off to you sir, that blueberry looks cup worthy not even joking when i say this those fat calyxes def give me a semi hahahaha! enjoy the harvest :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. These step by step instructions are great. This setup is recirculating DWC correct? I'm learning a lot here ty!
    BTW the flowers look delicious!

9. Yup, it's an under current which recirculates the water. The only difference is that those are 2in pipes which will be hard to clog.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I wish I could take a pic of the smell! The pics look good but they don't do it justice seeing it in person. Needles to say I'm very impressed with it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wow Mike, Nice tutorial, is that system in use at the moment or will it be used for the next crop? flowers are looking fantastic. Keep up the good work and detailed grow journal.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I built that for my next run and I'll be setting up the system I have now at a friends house once he moves. I think I'll build one more of those but with 6 buckets in a 5ft x 5ft area with that COB light system I'll be buying. Also I'm going to switch to a one part powder nutrient to save on the headache of mixing a bunch of liquids.

Can't wait till harvest time rolls around
    Thanks for the compliments friend!

• Like Like x 1
  13. So I took my front blueberry plant out the tent so I could get to the one in the back to remove some leaves and check on things. The back blueberry could be harvested right now and the same goes for the diesel that's in the front. The back diesel is almost there. I decided to start flushing today cause I don't wanna wait too long and miss that perfect time. The back diesel has some really big colas on it compared to everything else in there. Overall I've been slowly removing leaves on all plants to get more light to more parts and because it's almost time.

• Like Like x 2
  14. #155 mike45214, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    I've been watching the blueberry plants closely and I see that they have a decent amount of amber trichs so they've been harvested. The back plant had faded and the leaves were dying on it so it really had to get cut. They've both been trimmed and are now in the drying rack. The diesel is being flushed now. The front one started fading out on it's own about 2 weeks ago and that's with it being on a regular feed schedule for flower.
    I'll give some numbers on what I get from each plant as they dry.[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  15. That is some phenomenal looking bud, im sure it will be a fantastic smoke. Loving the blue-ish hues

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Got the final weight on three plants for ya folks. Back right Blueberry yielded 112 grams, the front right Blueberry yielded 147.9 grams and the front left Sour Diesel yielded 225.3 grams. Total weight for the three plants 485.2 grams/17.11oz or 1.07lbs.

The dry stuff is in the CVaults starting the cure.

I still have the last Diesel flushing. I'm thinking I'll get about 4oz from it, but it's always hard to tell what you'll get from a plant that's not done.

• Like Like x 2
  17. #160 mike45214, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Forgot to say that I would have yielded more if I would have removed a lot of the leaves that were shading sites. I feel I could have gotten about 2oz more from the two biggest plants and around an extra oz. or so from the smaller plant.
    I won't be lazy on this next grow that's for sure! I think I'll bring the CO2 tank back out for it.

• Like Like x 1