my sick seedlings :(

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by chastin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. i'm going totally out on a limb right now and suggest adding table salt to the reservoirs. that will lower the temperature at which the water will freeze. but i have no idea how that would affect the plants or how easily you could remove the salt.

doubt that's any kind of solution, but just an idea.

or instead of table salt, just some kind of water soluble salt that wouldn't interfere with the plants should have the same affect.

2. I would def not suggest salt. Salt clogs the plants ability to absorb nutrients. So isalt would bea baddd idea.

3. yea i already ruled out salt, plus it gets cold enough here to cancel out any drop in freezing temperature that the salt would give the water.

I have some strap on heating pads that I might use. Another idea that i thought about was using an engine block heater that could either sit in, or under the barrels... i know where i can get some relatively cheap, that seams like the most logical solution

4. an engine block heater would be perfect actually

and ya no the salt was bad idea. in hindsight it sounds stupid, but seemed like an option at the time.

5. wow, how did it turn into the rain collection thread? anyways, at work during winter, we use a water heater to keep buckets and the wet saw from freezing. it has a normal plug which connects to a metal casing. at the bottom of the casing, there's a circular casing with holes around the rim. it actually boils the water.

6. So i was high last night looking at my fish swimming around budda's head, and it came to me. I now realize how i can heat the tanks to keep them from freezing.

I need a styrofoam, or other float with a hole in the middle. Then get an 80 watt aquarium heater and drop it in the float. So what ever level the water is at in the tank the heater will keep it from freezing. And unlike an engine block heater or a heating pad, it won't heat the water too much. i can set it to keep the water at 60-70 degrees.

I only need one heater in the primary tank because I will never use that much water on my plants between the time it takes the back up tank to thaw. Which in turn will save me more water because I have 50 gallons of prime rain water locked in ice until it thaws and refills the heated primary feed tank.

problem solved :smoking:

7. That soil looks packed in pretty good, it should be loose so that some air can get in to the roots, but not too loose. i would recommend taking a pencil and putting about 5 holes circling the seedlings about 1 inch from the seedlings. also dont use distilled water, it doesn't have all the vitamins and minerals that tap water has, but if you use tap water make sure you have let it sit for a day in an open gallon jug or watering can so that the chlorine will evaporate out of it. water needs to be at ROOM TEMPERATURE.

8. #28 knoxis, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
    weed has grown in rain water long before people ever distilled water, if rainwater is bad for plants, then how has marijuana as a plant made it this far?