my sick plants... +rep for answers

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by tidehigh, Feb 19, 2010.

1. i have two 1 month old plants, roughly. fert schedule is every 3rd watering going by fox farms trio guide. last feed day was a full strength feed (first time ever). one plant looks great except one spot. those are the first pics. the spot looks rusty, and then there is yellow vein spotting coming up more and more on the leave next to it. hard to see that yellow by these pics though.

the second plant is hurting more. its a bit of more of a runt than the first. its possible that the last feed overferted it, but not really the better plant i guess? its droopy, stunted, and turning yellow on the bottom fan leaves and those leaves are turning brown and crispy until they break. the bigger green fan leaves have tiny yellow tips and basically always have. the new growth has always come out very skinny like they are curled up, and the leaves twist in a spiral a bit. could this all be from ph being too low?

i added a tblespoon of dolomite lime to the top of the soil before a water a couple weeks ago now to stablelize the ph. not sure how much it helped. i want to get a runoff measurement for you guys but i need to wait to water i think.

they are not overwated, for sure. ph is close if not on. the good plant is right between 6 and 7, the bad one is a little lower. runoff was right at 6 last watering.

my plan is to flush with 7ph water when the plant needs water (next day or two)

any help? i will post progression of leaves if they get worse or better.

i will add rep to anyone that stops in for assistance.

Attached Files:

2. Lower the ferts and flush with plain RO and you should be fine. Doesnt look to bad. She'll be fine just star with a lower nute strength and raise as she can take.

3. yeah that's what i'm gonna do.

something i thought of to add... this same plant has been doing this off and on its whole life. when it was a seedling, its first set of fan leaves died off the same way. tip yellow to brown and burnt up half the middle fan leave. most of the burning is on the middle leave of the fan leaves. i guess that could mean the soil ph has been off all along

4. nothing too bad to really worry too much, next time, lower your nute dose, & get the ph @ 6.5-6.8, & leaf twisting is usually a ph issue or rh issue.

5. Hello Tide..

You know that really looks like you may have dripped some of your food mix on the plant the last time your fed. The symptoms are very mild if any. Dont change too much right now. Anything you do will take a few to four days to show any sign in the plant. Good luck with them they look fine right now.

Frag Out!

6. lower the ph...i was having VERY similar things happening. soon as i got the pH to 6.5-6.7 it stopped and the growth exploded too...

7. thanks all. +rep coming...

update:
    i flushed and got the ph up above 6. took almost an entire week for the soil to dry, and meanwhile the leaves got droopy a bit more yellow and the stems strectched a bit. i watered and fed 1/4 dose of nutes last night. here are pix. hopefully i see a change for the good over the next couple light periods. i think the soil may be really compact, as its(soil) lost an inch or 3 in height since i transplanted into these pots. can't go any bigger(pots) right now though. time will tell...

meanwhile, the other plant(last pic) is doing excellent. i can see the changes daily.

putting a screen over them in a couple days.

Attached Files:

8. On the plants that show lower leaf yellowing, is the bottom part of the stem yellow as well?

9. yEah. The stem is way more yellow than her healthy sisters green stems. It goes from yellow to purple towards the colas

10. Hello Tide,

How are things? Any changes for the better? I have referenced your photos and think you may have been better off before. They were a much healthier green now they are showing pale green. How are the veins of the leaves? Do you foliar feed at all? Old growth will not improve but if symptoms continue to new growth you have not solved the problem.

Good Luck!

Frag Out!

11. hey mushkan, thanks for stopping in.

i think they did get worse between the photos that were taken about 1 week apart.

now, 2 days after the last pictures, i think they may be starting to get a little better. they definitely grew in those two days, and are a little bit more green, but still pale and yellow in comparison to my good one. one note, the pics are different lighting, so that's my mistake, although you aren't incorrect in your judgement of color. i'm still seeing a couple newer leaves spotting and yellowing. i fed 1/4 strength 2 days ago, so that helped get it more green, but i still have issues. i'm going to give them another day or two and post a new set of pics, get my ph of runoff and go from there.

as for your questions...
    i've never foliar fed.

the veins on some of the bigger and greener fans are noticebly a different color (yellow). the new bad leaves are yellow/brown and burnt looking coming from the main vein.
    every single new tip/end is twisted, and has been almost the entire life of the plant. the blades or outer edges of the leaves on almost all new growth are curled upward.

its interesting to try to solve, but i sure wish she was as healthy as her booming sister.

screen is going on tomorrow for the beginning of the scrog :)

12. You have a nitrogen deficency in your "runt", plants that show yellowing of the main stem and lower leafing is a sure sign.

Nitrogen is a key element in chlorophyll, chlorophyll is what makes the plant look green and what takes in sunlight.

So next watering, id use a mix with a slightly richer value of N, new growth should come out looking healthy.