My Shopping List for First Grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by JohnnyCat, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Hi everyone, after months of research finally getting ready to setup my space and start my first grow. I'm following Yoda's RDWC method, but with only two buckets. I've put together this shopping list, attached. Appreciate your feedback on these items, any possible things I'm missing (buckets/res/tubing/rock wool/grow stones already purchased), and any other thoughts you may have.

I think my tent will be too small for the reservoir, so I plan on keeping that outside the tent.

My questions:
    Is the tent big enough for 2 plants? Do I have the right lighting for this tent? (I'll be purchasing some clip-on CFLs as well)
    My fan is good?
    Is the meter I'm purchasing suitable?

Biggest thing I'm concerned with is the electronics. I don't want my house burning down! I'm not opposed to spending money where needed, but I like to get the best
    value for my dollar.

Thanks everyone this community rocks.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417716651.112576.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. cant read any specs on that there list

3. #3 GoldGrower, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014

That's a big light for such a small tent so  you may have to run it on 400w. But you're making the right choice with that one.

That PH kit looks like it's drops or litmus paper. They are a total nightmare to use and you are far better off spending the 4 bucks on a digital meter 

You will need a way bigger air pump. You want about 1 litre of air per minute for every 2 litres of nutrient solution.

I wouldn't bother with the propagator. Is that for rooting clones? If it is you are way better off making one of these http://forum.grasscity.com/hydroponic-growing/1327492-rooting-clones-easy-way.html

The fan isn't very good. You will be better off either buying a better quality one or buy two. I have two small exhaust fans set up like this and it works well. Systemair  fans are great quality and worth getting if you can.

[​IMG]

joining up multiple buckets has its advantage but as your tent isn't exactly huge you would be better off with a single reservoir like this one and cut a couple of holes for the net pots 

[​IMG]

4. #4 GoldGrower, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
    Sorry I forgot to go through your main questions. 

*Is the tent big enough for 2 plants?
    *Do I have the right lighting for this tent? (I'll be purchasing some clip-on CFLs as well)
    *My fan is good?
    *Is the meter I'm purchasing suitable?

*Yeah the tent is plenty big enough for 2 mmedium sized plants.
    *Yeah good choice on the lighting. I have a very similar set up.
    *Not really, I would get a systemair fan or another good quality brand
    *Yeah seems fine. The cheapest ones are plenty accurate for our needs

5. I agree you need a WAY bigger air pump with big stones.

6. Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

So for the air pump - 1 liter for every 2 liters of solution.  Would that be solution in the bucket or with resevoir?  Any particular pump you recomend?  I was following the tutorial and I thought it reccomended the ecoplus pump.  I'll also look into your suggesstion about one tub with two holes for the net pots.  I was reading Yoda's tutorial and was going to go forward with that - I guess I could just treat each net pot as its own "bucket".

As far as the fans - found this Fantech FR 150 Inline Centrifugal 6" Duct Fan Molded Housing 263 CFM.  Better?

7. #7 GoldGrower, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2014
    I have never heard of that fan so can't comment. Systemair fans are the best quality I have found and will only use those. Well worth the cost.

I don't really understand your first question, the bucket is the reservoir. The solution is what's in it. The volume of the nutrient solution dictated on how much air you need to be pushed through it.

I have never heard of that pump. The only brand I use is hailea, they are good quality and quiet. I have several of their 10 litre per minute bellows pumps, they are very quiet. I also have a couple of their piston pumps. They move an incredible amount of air, but has a noise level to match.

Here is a 70 litre RUB with 6 fitted net pots. But in your case you would only fit 2. It's a lot easier than having a RDWC and you don't need a water pump that will heat the nutrient solution

[​IMG]