My seeds

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by hibong, Sep 9, 2012.

1. I'm trying to start some auto-flowers outside and it's not working so far. I put them in miraclegro seed starting mix on tuesday. None of them have sprouted up yet, and some have popped up above the surface of the soil, but they haven't sprouted so I push them back in the soil and cover them up again. I don't know if it just takes longer starting directly into soil or if I'm doing something wrong. I've been watering them three times a day. Once at 8am then 12am and then at 4am. Each time I water I take a bottle of aquafina and poor some into the cap, then give it to them. So, essentially I'm giving them three caps of pure water a day. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please help!:confused:

2. I don't know what is wrong either. The mention of Miracle Gro fills me with trepidation, but I am unfamiliar with that particular product. I do know from bitter experience that their soil is not an appropriate medium for cannabis.

There are lots of ways to start seeds. The paper towel method seems to be the most popular, but I have never used it. Here is what I do:

I soak the seed in a glass of aged tap water or distilled water for 8 to 12 hours. Supposedly, if the seed eventually sinks, that's a good sign. But I don't let it go longer than 12 hours. It is possible to drown the seed.

Then I plant it about half an inch deep in my medium of choice, coco coir, in a 1 quart container. The seeding usually emerges three days later, where "usually" means almost always. The medium was prepped and thoroughly hydrated the day before the planting. There is no need to water for several days.

I would not use Aquafina or any other bottled drinking water. There is no telling what's in it, what the pH is, where it came from. Distilled water is H2O with nothing else in it. Your tap water is what it is. You can get a TDS breakdown from your water company. They have to make this report available by law. To satisfy that requirement, they usually have it available online. If you let some tap water sit for 2 or 3 days then any chlorine it might have will boil off.

You need a way to monitor and adjust the pH of your medium.

Fox Farm makes soil that is good for cannabis grows. Steer clear of Miracle Gro.

3. Are you sure that the seed working it's way to the top wasn't just it sprouting? The seed shell will stay on for a little bit, I can see how someone might think it was just the seed floating to the top.

4. I'm thinking the same thing as Mosley^, I germinated my seeds for a night, planted them in miracle grow the next night, and 2 days later (today) they're sprouting!! It's like buying a puppy! Hahaha

But I personally think you should not water them so much... I watered mine twice since they've been in soil.

5. Germinating in soil can take longer then germinating outside of it.

MG Soil blows good luck with that. More kills associated with that soil then just about anything else.

6. Well, should I take the seeds out and try the paper towel method or just wait and hope they sprout up in the miraclegro?

7. blech....miracle grow....tsk tsk.....

but yeah like rhap said....it takes alot longer if you dont germ first

8. i would put them in paper towel.....and go pick up some better soil.....then throw that miracle grow over the fence to your neighbors yard

9. Alright, how do you do the paper towel method.
    My guess ( I'm probably wrong ) : Take a paper towel, moisten it, put it on a plate, then put your seeds on the moistened paper towel. Next, get another paper towel, moisten it, and put it on top of the seeds, then get another paper plate and put it on top of that paper towel.

Is that correct or am I a bumbling retard?

10. Just get a plastic container wet a towel put seed in fold put a top on the plastic container place in a dark spot.

How I germinate is I first put them in as hot glass for 24 hours then into the above.

11. If your seeds do not germinate in 5-7 days they probably never will. They will turn black and just rot.

12. you can do that....or check out my indoor grow in my signature....i did it with the rubbermaid container

13. I wouldnt go digging them out though.

14. Thanks. I've been looking around and here's what I'll do: boil some water, let it sit, pour it over a regular metal plate, then the paper towel, put the paper towel down, place seeds inside, cover them with the other side of the paper towel, and put all that shit in a plastic container. If that doesn't work, then.... fuck

15. Why? That's the only way to germinate them.

16. How do you think nature germinates a seed? Also if there already started in the soil and have tap root there exceptionally fragile. Should you break a tap root its a goner.

Thats your problem your having...you already started germinating them in soil. Digging them up might ruin them altogether.

17. That's a good point, but I'm not gonna get any seeds to germinate if I don't dig them up and try this other method. I'll give them another full day, but Monday I'm digging them up because otherwise they'll ALL be goners.

18. They may already be germinating thats what Im trying to say. Many people germinate in soil not outside of it. The whole reason to germinate outside the soil is to tell if you have duds which happens from time to time.

How deep did you plant them?

19. Probably not deep enough. Maybe 0.3 inches and I fear that might even be generous

20. Shallows good. You dont want it more then about 1/4 inch deep usually.