My seedlings are stretching, can I add more soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Disciple, Oct 23, 2012.

1. My seedlings were stretching due to lights being too high and no reflective materials lining the grow box. Heres a picture from yesterday of the stretching.
    [​IMG]

When I planted them, I filled the containers up with soil and left about an inch or more from the top with no soil.

My question is, now that I have fixed the lighting and added reflective materials in my grow box, can I add more soil to the pots to maybe make them more stable? I don't want them to be too tall and droopy, ya' know?:D

Thanks guys!

2. mines are doing the same thing, isn't this normal?

3. Well there's a difference between growing and stretching. Obviously the babies are going to get taller, but when they are noticeably taller than they should be, it means they are stretching towards the light, either because the lights are too far away, or because there isn't enough light. If I'm mistaken someone else will correct me, but I'm almost positive.

4. I'd just plant them a little deeper when you transplant, which will be coming up soon anyway.

5. Thanks for the answer bro, do you think it would be beneficial in any way to add the soil, in terms of root growth or increasing stem strength due to less weight on the bottom of the stem?

:hello:

6. It might, sure. I just think that looser soil on top will be a mess when you move them, assuming you're going to transplant soon. If they're really leaning I'd just stick a toothpick in there and tie it up. The more important thing is to get rid of the condition that caused the stretching, you do that they'll grow up strong on their own.

7. Thanks a lot bro, it's much appreciated. By a rough estimate, how long do you think average girls can be in containers of that size before coming root bound?

8. I responded in your other thread but Ill write here too :) tip each plant upside down while soil is dry keeping the plant between you ring and middle finger. add soil to the BOTTOM of each cup, then replace the plant. Holes for drainage is also very important plus a drip pan of sorts :) best wishes

9. they will do fine, just put the cups on something to get the light closer. dont move them or add more soil, that will set you more days back than just leaving them.

you do know you will have to translplant the cups though at some point, right? i suggest when the root system is well established.

plants like to fight and train, unfortunately just like any other speices. they will do stronger now becuase of adversity.

10. they are stretched and crowded here, and they do well
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjRcLzEgGFs]Cannabis Time-Lapse, Beautiful - YouTube[/ame]

11. Thanks for the reply,

Yes I'm aware I will need to transplant soon, the picture I have posted above is from yesterday before I made a few adjustments.

EDIT thanks for the vid, will watch now!
    :)

12. Stretch ain't a bad thing; give them some big wind to strengthen them and they'll do just fine. I run my babies under CFL at 12/12 from seed and have a decent crop within 90 days or so.

Attached Files:

13. By a rough estimate, how long do you think average girls can be in containers of that size before coming root bound?

I leave seedlings in containers that size until about the time when their 3rd set of true leaves is developed and they're working on the 4th. So, a couple weeks.

edit: If they are autos they will need to be transplanted sooner though.

14. hey Jerky, what kind of dog do you have? :)

15. I use old magazines to bring my plants closet to my t5's, especially to adjust for differences in plant heights

16. i've taken a stretched seedling and planted the main part of the stem below soil... in the image the white part of the stem was once growing above soil. not so much 'added' roots but this particular plant was only 4 weeks old.

[​IMG]

17. yeah, I always bury my seedlings on transplant

18. this "making the stem stronger" business is a waste of time :) the plant uses as little energy as possible as efficiently as possible to make enough stem to support its weight.

19. [​IMG]

Yes I know I used tinfoil, but it's nice and cool in there at all times.

The plant in the front right can't stand up straight by itself without that straw there, that's what I was trying to avoid by adding more soil lol. I woke up yesterday and it was leaning on the rim of the container, I was like "FUCK!" lmao.

@Davejohnson, thanks bro, so my girls will be okay in there for a couple more days right?

20. Also, how do I know if they are autoflower or not? They were just bagseed.